New Victorian Label for New Store

Trappeur

I'm working on a label design for a new shop and so far have come up with this.

Open to suggestions here.  She likes pastel colors and the shop is interiors and gifts.  She doesn't want to be stuck with a lavender label even though the name is Lavender on Maine but wants something very victorian.  So what do you think about these 3 I'm designing and which one do you like the best?  I'm leaning towards #3 myself.

Thanks.

Trappeur

lavender%20on%20maine%203.jpg

lavender%20on%20maine%202.jpg

lavender%20on%20maine_1.jpg

• Like 4

Is the scent Lavender on Maine or is that the name of the store? Or is the scent Blue Thistle? I ask because it would make a difference in placement. Other than that I really like all three but my preference is #1. I guess its because I prefer the pitcher with the lavender better than the roses. The roses don't make sense to me if the name of the shop is Lavender on Maine.

• Like 1

I like #1 and #3

#1- i like how the flowers are smaller on the label, but the color seems a bit to muddled for me.

#3- i like the placement of the roses and the hydrangeas, can you make the hydrangeas a purple( blue or pink the naturally occurring shades) so that they stand out more from the background?  but part of me does agree with candybee with the flower choice, though i'm not sure that a shopper would pick up on the fact that there's no lavender on the label and it may actually help with getting people to read the name rather than looking at the pictures?

I ruled out #2 because of the placement of the shop name being in the band with the scent name and you also loose the white flowers behind the band and i prefer the placement of the rose in #3 being more on the side. 

they are very pretty, you always do a great job with your labels.

Edited by Siren12

I also like the rounded corners of #2.  I think perhaps that "Lavender on Maine" should possibly be placed above "Kennebunkport" at the bottom (removing Maine the second time), with the lacy band placed a little higher.  The lettering style of #3 is very nice, although some background color, as in #2 is pretty, although, I think perhaps a muted or light lavender shade might be considered, due to the name of the shop.  Although the flowers are pretty, in some ways I think they may make the label too busy ~ I hope you don't take this wrong, but I would remove the flowers, allowing the name plaque to be center of attention.  You're working with a beautiful label!

Ok, let me see how I can rework some things.  Maybe even do a label with all lavender flowers...hmmm...

Candybee, the store name is Lavender on Maine.

Now the shop is an eclectic but upscale victoriean, poshy look.  There are barnboard beams in the place, there are antiques,  lace, crystal,  lots of floral,  pottery, leather upholstery, some barnboard painted furniture  and lots of vintage, even clothing.    Can you get the picture I'm trying to evoke?  Sometimes I'm not good at that.

I was trying to make a label that encompasses a little of this and a little of that.  I didn't want to do strictly a lavender color.  Her favorite thing is lavender so i wanted to bring in a touch of that somewhere.  I do like lavender though.  Maybe the barnboard in the 1'st picture is somewhat too dark.  Let me see what I can do to lighten things up a wee bit.  I guess you could say #1 is a blend of rustic country victorian....lol

The labels will all have rounded corners.  The difference between 2 and 3 is I decreased and increased some of the images (flowers) to get to my liking.  #2 (blue label) jumps out more to me because of the blue background, but maybe not do the blue so I'm not tied down to that color.

I'll try to change the color of the white hydrangea to a purple if I can.  Siren I will try to lighten up the background of the label and see it it jumps out more.

So your saying Birdcharm move the name of the shop, "Lavender on Maine" from the top of the label to the bottom of the label?  Hmmmm....well I can try it and see what it looks like.  Could be a different look, that's for sure.  And move the banding up...I can do that too and try and see if that works.  Ok....I'll do some more fiddling and put up pictures.

Thanks everyone!

Trappeur

Question......What color is the background in label #3?  Do you all see gray or is it my eyes and something else?  I was thinking it was a lavender gray color.... 

Okay now that I have a clearer picture of the store and its name I will change my original choice to that of #3. I do like that look more for the Victorian theme and the pale grey with hint of lavender on it is perfect. I still am not crazy about the roses and like the pitcher with lavender buds in it much better. Is it possible to change the roses out for the other and keep the label intact? Or try to incorporate some lavender buds i there somewhere. If I had a shop named Lavender on Maine I would definitely prefer lavender flower image over the rose so my customers don't get confused. Or maybe she has a logo you could incorporate instead?

I think the roses are pretty they just don't work with the store name IMO.

Trappeur Im sorta confused lol ! So is the scent called blue thistle. With all due respect I agree with Candy on the roses. I think maybe thats whats confusing me

a bit. So heres what I think. I do like the pale grey shade of label # 3 but not the green lettering for the store name. I would do that in a dark lavender -ish purple.

Maybe try removing the horizontal bar behind the center label and maybe play with the colors on the Blue Thistle lettering too . Try it with out all of the flowers and

and maybe add some lavender flowers ??? Can the Lavender on Maine go on the bottom instead of the top - maybe it can say "made exclusively for LOM ??? 

Not sure if this will work because of fonts + size but how bout if you flip the center label so its vertical - so it looks kinda like a victorian cameo ? Have you decided 

on a jar yet ? I think an amber jar would give an old apothecary feel or a white frosted jar for a lighter more modern take on Victorian . I can't get over how great you 

are with designing labels !!!! Keep us posted - I can't wait to see what you come up with :) 

My guess is you have already put a lot of time into these labels.  I love them all.  I guess I would change out the roses or add lavender as others have suggested, if possible, to reflect the name of the shop.  The background looks like a very pretty gray lavender to me.  Great job as always! :)

Goldie

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Trappeur said:

... So your saying Birdcharm move the name of the shop, "Lavender on Maine" from the top of the label to the bottom of the label?  Hmmmm....well I can try it and see what it looks like.  Could be a different look, that's for sure.  And move the banding up...I can do that too and try and see if that works.  Ok....I'll do some more fiddling and put up pictures.

Question......What color is the background in label #3?  Do you all see gray or is it my eyes and something else?  I was thinking it was a lavender gray color.... 

I see it as a pearly gray color (no lavender tint), but computer monitors can differ that way.  I agree with Moonstar about the lettering color if using the grayish, that's a nice thought, maybe a dark lavender shade.  Anyway, the reason I mention about the name placement sort of has to do with the word Maine showing twice (top and bottom).  I like #1 too, but as you say, it may be a bit too dark; also, maybe a bit on the greenish side.

It sounds like an interesting shop!  I'd love to visit that area; Vermont & New Hampshire are as far north as I've been (in the winter too!)

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Trappeur said:

ok, I'm working on these labels and trying to modify them.....the problem I'm having is finding a nice lavender floral....but I'm trying

Trappeur

I agree on finding a nice lavender floral - a lot of the ones I've seen anyhow look too cartoonish if that makes sense or kinda cheap looking 

But you are the best with labels - if anyone can do it - you can and will. The Christmas labels you made are A - mazing ! 

14 minutes ago, Moonstar said:

I agree on finding a nice lavender floral - a lot of the ones I've seen anyhow look too cartoonish if that makes sense or kinda cheap looking 

But you are the best with labels - if anyone can do it - you can and will. The Christmas labels you made are A - mazing ! 

Ahhhh thankyou Moonstar....

And yes, they are like what you said.....now I can find actual photographs of them...but that is not what I'm looking for.

Trappeur

• Like 1

I think all three are just beautiful. I do like #3 the best, and to me it is almost perfect. The only change I'd make is to maybe change the font of "Lavender on Maine" to make it just a tad more 'readable', which maybe translates to a bit less cursive-like. But if you take all our advice it will look really ugly!! So do what looks nice to you and call it good! You have a good eye.

• Like 2

Does the store have a logo already that can be worked in?

The rounded corner on 2, with the color scheme of 3 - depending on the containers. 

i believe the shop name should be prominent at the top, just as part of a good, cohesive branding scheme.

How about putting a blue thistle flower in the pitcher to match the scent. When I saw the rose flowers I though that was the scent at first.

then "maybe" if ther is no logo to work rom, add a hint of a symbolic lavender, like a thin, faint colored outline, as a line scrolling under or near the shop name.

• Like 1