Tennessee Candle Closing End OF August

Moonstar

24 minutes ago, Faerywren said:

I think it could be a lucrative business. I had considered doing it on a small scale, but work full time and didn't want a business to suffer from my not being able to give 100%.

Same here! I don't even advertise in the wax groups yet because I still work full time and wouldn't be able to give it my all if I started getting more orders than I could take care of. 

3 hours ago, OldGlory said:

Would you like me to ask Teri at Aztec if they would duplicate some of their FOs? Or maybe she could find out which source they used. What are the top 10 or 12 FOs from TN candle supply?

Edit: The 2 locations are probably 70-80 miles apart. Shipping costs shouldn't change.

Old Glory,

Huge huge sellers for me are

Pumpkin Pecan Waffle

Vanilla Bean Noel

Chocolate Nut Brownies

True Lavender

Cinnamon Broom

Just b/4 Brent died he was telling me, they were getting in some new oils that he was waiting for arrival that was due any day.  I had asked about it after he died, but never got an answer back.

Trappeur

48 minutes ago, moonshine said:

Talltayl could you explain to me what buying codes is? 

I have heard this before from PFO when they bought some of MW....they couldn't get all scents because Rhonda would not sell all the codes.....something to that effect

couldnt I just decide to start a fragrance business and get wholesale pricing to any out there I want? Where do codes come into play 

You just can't go out to a fragrance house and buy any old fragrance sold by any old vendor. Each is formulated to a retailers "recipe", which is why buying a "lavender" from one vendor won't match anyone else's lavender. Or lemon. Or pink sugar. That particular recipe is encoded with the lab where the retailer shops. Even if the lab has 100 different customers that buy "pink sugar" No other retail customer of that lab will ever have an exact match of another's version. It is highly guarded. Some can be close, but not necessarily the cigar. You could ask for a "pink sugar" and get "a" pink sugar, but it might not be what you expect. You can sell it for whatever you want, but it does not guarantee success.

And each lab uses different components to make a fragrance, explaining why even dupes don't smell or perform like the original. Many labs have pretty high thresholds to open accounts, and fairly high mins per fragrance to boot. Finding a good lab is the key. I meet with a dozen or so every time I visit the SCC events. Not one has impressed me enough to bother.

Funny observation, You can often tell which retailer sold a fragrance by some signature base components. Bramble Berry fragrances have a sweet note common to just about all their FO. AromaHaven has a maple syrup note. SweetCakes has a distinctive perfume note.

If if you want the exact recipe a retailer used you need to "own" those recipe codes. And those codes are guarded like the Coca Cola, Kentucky fried chicken, and Bushs baked bean recipes.

• Like 4

So, fwiw, if there is anyone out there collecting info on Tennessee oils, the ones I think are unique and would love to buy again are:

Buttercream (I love Daystar's doesn't throw in my melts:( )
Cinnamon Stick

Peach Magnolia Raspberry

Pina Colada (the only one I've tried hat smells good in my wax) I think i got their last bottle

Sugar Cookie

Tangerine Dream (but I will be trying NG, thanks for the tip, Belinda!) ... so many orange scents smell weird in my wax but this one was great

This Old House

True Lavender

:):(

Edited by maryta

Very sad.  I'm gonna miss them.  They were super nice people.  I placed an order yesterday to add to my stock until I can find replacements.  Unfortunately, I couldn't get everything I wanted because so many were already out of stock.  I've got about 20 of their FO's, and I'd consider about 7-8 of those must-haves for my lineup.  I'm already down to just ounces in some, and with fall/winter coming, the rest won't last long. 

4 hours ago, se2653 said:

Sorry if this is not the right place to post this, but I just saw on FB that David Hill (emilyspoppy) passed away.  He posted quite a bit on this forum, and I learned so much from him, his experience and wonderful posts- he will definitely be missed!  I know many of you knew him, and just wanted to pass along

Oh no! That makes me so very sad. I was just thinking about him last night when I was on here and wondered when the last time he visited was. I loved reading his posts and he was so helpful to everyone. He didn't post as regularly as he used to but I really enjoyed it when he did He will be missed so much!

That just breaks my heart! I know we don't see each other in person (or at least not most of us) but for me personally, I feel like I know most of you. I feel like we're friends. When I see some of the ones that used to post but haven't in a long time it makes me sad because I always wonder what happened to them and why they quit coming on here.

Prayers for his family. Dave will be sorely missed :(

• Like 3

17 hours ago, moonshine said:

That would be wonderful!

I use the this old house

raspberry peach magnolia 

dried apple wreath 

Yep, This Old House, Dried Apple Wreath, not too long ago they were able to replicate that Bert's Redwood scent. Their cinnamon apple was great along with their love spell, but why replicate something you already carry type of thing. 
They used to have an Autumn Sage that was great too. 

They also had a great Buttercream. 

This was the home of one the best VBN's and winter candy apple.

And I remember a lot of people talked about their true lavender as being the best out there. 
Old Glory, there's probably quite a bit that Aztec could take from them ... and it would be nice if someone did!

• Like 3

OOB is a dangerous way to rate a scent, though glad you offered the suggestion. It's a fragrance that if someone can buy the code for and carry, they'd get my business. I'm not sure how much business I would give to FB though. I think they lack a lot of depth in some of their fragrance dupes. Not being harsh on them, just opinionated I guess. 

16 hours ago, TallTayl said:

You just can't go out to a fragrance house and buy any old fragrance sold by any old vendor. Each is formulated to a retailers "recipe", which is why buying a "lavender" from one vendor won't match anyone else's lavender. Or lemon. Or pink sugar. That particular recipe is encoded with the lab where the retailer shops. Even if the lab has 100 different customers that buy "pink sugar" No other retail customer of that lab will ever have an exact match of another's version. It is highly guarded. Some can be close, but not necessarily the cigar. You could ask for a "pink sugar" and get "a" pink sugar, but it might not be what you expect. You can sell it for whatever you want, but it does not guarantee success.

And each lab uses different components to make a fragrance, explaining why even dupes don't smell or perform like the original. Many labs have pretty high thresholds to open accounts, and fairly high mins per fragrance to boot. Finding a good lab is the key. I meet with a dozen or so every time I visit the SCC events. Not one has impressed me enough to bother.

Funny observation, You can often tell which retailer sold a fragrance by some signature base components. Bramble Berry fragrances have a sweet note common to just about all their FO. AromaHaven has a maple syrup note. SweetCakes has a distinctive perfume note.

If if you want the exact recipe a retailer used you need to "own" those recipe codes. And those codes are guarded like the Coca Cola, Kentucky fried chicken, and Bushs baked bean recipes.

Well that explains it....I didn't realize it worked that way I just thought there were thousands of companies out there that sold in bulk and that's why some scents  seem the same from 2 different suppliers 

Or completely different....light bulb moment

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scented said:

OOB is a dangerous way to rate a scent, though glad you offered the suggestion. It's a fragrance that if someone can buy the code for and carry, they'd get my business. I'm not sure how much business I would give to FB though. I think they lack a lot of depth in some of their fragrance dupes. Not being harsh on them, just opinionated I guess. 

You're right about that for sure. I haven't put the one from FB in wax but I did the one from Tennessee. I had read such good reviews on here about that scent but I just didn't like it at all. That's why I ordered the one from FB. I thought maybe the one I got from TN was bad or something since everyone seemed to like it but they smelled so similar that I never bothered putting it in wax. I hope for those that love that fragrance that it does turn out to be a good replacement. I'm not sure why I didn't like it. It just smelled musty to me for some reason.

Guest OldGlory

I am still waiting to hear from Teri. I will compile a list from this post and give it to her if they want to take on the task.

I haven't been around here in forever, but I'm really really really interested in either someone buying out the business or someone getting some of these duplicated!  

This Old House, Spicy Apples and Peaches, and Amish Harvest are my 3 must haves. please, Please, PLEASE!?!?  I raced to the website after the email, but no luck.

I don't buy my FOs from them as I already have way too many suppliers I use. But its sad to hear about another supplier closing and going OOB. We keep losing so many good FO suppliers. Hopefully things will work out. Anyway I wish her the best and hope that it is the right thing for her so she can go on with her life.

• Like 1

I only used a few of their oils as there are so many other suppliers. I did get a few basic oils like vanilla and apple pie yesterday as all the oils are on sale but nothing that I could not find elsewhere. I did love the almond pear and honey so will be looking elsewhere for that. I wish I had the money as I would buy in a heartbeat. There is only one other candle supplier in New England and their prices are ridiculously high.

I wish Kim all the best.

Karen in MA

On 8/4/2016 at 2:18 PM, Belinda said:

Oh no! That makes me so very sad. I was just thinking about him last night when I was on here and wondered when the last time he visited was. I loved reading his posts and he was so helpful to everyone. He didn't post as regularly as he used to but I really enjoyed it when he did He will be missed so much!

That just breaks my heart! I know we don't see each other in person (or at least not most of us) but for me personally, I feel like I know most of you. I feel like we're friends. When I see some of the ones that used to post but haven't in a long time it makes me sad because I always wonder what happened to them and why they quit coming on here.

Prayers for his family. Dave will be sorely missed :(

Great post Belinda!  I happen to agree also.  I've never met anyone on the board here, but I too feel that we are friends....old friends and new friends just meeting.  It's a good feeling to have.  Wouldn't it be great if we could all meet somewhere and have like a first time reunion somewhere?

Trappeur

• Like 5

Guest OldGlory

I talked to Teri at Aztec today. There has been some discussion about trying to get some of TCS's fragrances at Aztec and they are at least open to the idea right now. She asked me for a list of the ones people seem to want the most, so I compiled a list from above. We talked about trying to dupe them vs. getting the actual codes/suppliers and we both agree that duping them could be a waste of time and resources. So she will talk to her boss again after I give them the list. They understand that they already have customers for them.

Here's my list of all the FOs that had more than one request:

This Old House (4 votes), Rasp. Peach Magnolia (3), Dried Apple Wreath (2), Tangerine Dreams (2), True Lavender (4), Vanilla Bean Noel (2), Buttercream (5), Sugar Cookie (2), Spicy Apples & Peaches (3). I will wait a few days to adjust the list as needed before giving it to Aztec.

Did I miss anything that has more than one vote? I don't know that it would be worth it for them unless several people are already buying it since they will most likely have to pay TN candle supplies for the information. When they duped 2 FOs for me, I already knew that I would buy at least 10 lbs a year in each FO so it was a win/win for them. KWIM?

Btw, AFI has a killer sugar cookie. Maybe someone would like to do a coop for it. I just bought 10 lbs of it for myself, and I'll go thru it all within a year.

Thanks, Old Glory!!  If they did the codes instead of "duping", it would be great. I only have two FO's from Aztec that work for me so I don't use them...if they had those  exact Tennessee FO's I would order more from Aztec.

Thanks for the tip about AFI. I will have to try them sometime.  I use Tennessee Sugar Cookie because it is the only one that is not yucky in my wax. It is not that strong but it is the best scent for me. FB Sugar Cookie Royale is strong but not quite right in my wax.

I guess I am the only one here voting for Cinnamon Stick :(  .... it is in some of my house blends :(

1 hour ago, OldGlory said:

I talked to Teri at Aztec today. There has been some discussion about trying to get some of TCS's fragrances at Aztec and they are at least open to the idea right now. She asked me for a list of the ones people seem to want the most, so I compiled a list from above. We talked about trying to dupe them vs. getting the actual codes/suppliers and we both agree that duping them could be a waste of time and resources. So she will talk to her boss again after I give them the list. They understand that they already have customers for them.

Here's my list of all the FOs that had more than one request:

This Old House (4 votes), Rasp. Peach Magnolia (3), Dried Apple Wreath (2), Tangerine Dreams (2), True Lavender (4), Vanilla Bean Noel (2), Buttercream (5), Sugar Cookie (2), Spicy Apples & Peaches (3). I will wait a few days to adjust the list as needed before giving it to Aztec.

Did I miss anything that has more than one vote? I don't know that it would be worth it for them unless several people are already buying it since they will most likely have to pay TN candle supplies for the information. When they duped 2 FOs for me, I already knew that I would buy at least 10 lbs a year in each FO so it was a win/win for them. KWIM?

Btw, AFI has a killer sugar cookie. Maybe someone would like to do a coop for it. I just bought 10 lbs of it for myself, and I'll go thru it all within a year.

What about pumpkin pecan waffles?  Nobody likes it? I would buy 7 pounds to start off with....

Trappeur

• Like 2

That would be great if Aztec could buy the codes.  I did speak to Kimberlie about the possibility of a company buying codes before this was even brought up here on the forum and she said she couldn't do it as her business was under contract with a realtor as she could get in trouble as she wants to sell the business....

Trappeur