Tennessee Candle Closing End OF August

Moonstar

6 hours ago, justajesuschick said:

YES!! This is very true.

The 30K she is asking for the business likely does not include anything more than customer lists, current inventory and proprietary information such as the scent distributor detail which would include these codes. New agreements would need to be established with all suppliers or all materials. Warehouse space would have to be secured. It will not be enough to have a fragrance business which just offers a few oils. You will need many more. That will take warehouse space and employees. The oil will arrive in drums and need to be bottled, labeled, inventoried and of course be shipped. 

I would be happy to aid/advise anyone who does this with website setup and detail on effective social media. I do not wish to be a part of a distribution business (I am busy enough running my own!) but could certainly lend my expertise. 

You are right! I feel my excitement leeching out of my body.... :unsure:.  If a person really wanted to do something like this, their best bet would be just to build from the ground up...slowly and steadily. An excellent fragrance manufacturer could get pretty darned close to duplicating these scents. Oh well, I just hope someone buys it and carries on the tradition of offering these wonderful scents. :)

Edited by puma52
  • Like 1

Just now, puma52 said:

Oh well, I just hope someone buys it and carries on the tradition of offering these wonderful scents. :)

That "someone" could still be you!

My granddaughters live in Nashville so I could come and visit your operation! Once I retire from my corporate gig, since my wax business is 100% online, it goes where I go. I may end up in TN!

Will be eager to hear if you perhaps inquire about a price for buying the scent information!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, logcabinmomma said:

Gonna try an ounce to see while I still have some stock to compare it to.  Anyone try VACandleSupply? That's another This Old House, but neither description is spot on.

eta- placed orders for both- figured as long as I'm comparing...

Logcabinmomma, I just got a sample of Maple Street Candle's welcome home and to me it smells like This old house too. I can't be sure since I don't have that one anymore from Tennessee but that's what I thought of when I sniffed it.

• Like 1

Guest OldGlory

I think the fragrance part of the business would be nice. Maybe not a 'full time' income, but for the right person in the right circumstances, a nice part time business. Definitely doable if Kimberly agrees to it.

I buy some FOs from a wholesaler, specifically AFI. You can buy 10 lbs or 100 lbs. I am not familiar with the minimums at other wholesalers but this would be the perfect time to investigate that.

3 hours ago, justajesuschick said:

That "someone" could still be you!

My granddaughters live in Nashville so I could come and visit your operation! Once I retire from my corporate gig, since my wax business is 100% online, it goes where I go. I may end up in TN!

Will be eager to hear if you perhaps inquire about a price for buying the scent information!

Ah....you are so sweet!! TCS is only 2 hrs away from us here in Sevierville. Gracious, it would be SO nice to get these scents and be able to offer them just exactly the way Brent and Kimberlie did...uncut and unique and there for anyone who wants to buy them. My husband and I were really throwing the idea around.  It's terrible when your favorite scents go away. Yes, people will try to replace them, but some of them just aren't replaceable no matter which other vendor you may buy from. It's just sad...but who knows what may happen? :) Someone just may buy her business and keep it going just the way it always has, Wouldn't that be such an awesome tribute to Brent? I just love that idea. :)

By the way, I am sure that I could learn a lot from you JAJC. A person who is in this business needs to constantly keep learning and growing. Gracious! I would love to meet ya!! Have you ever been over here to Sevierville, Gatlinburg, Smoky Mtns area?  I am sure you have. We live in the country, but we can hear the Dollywood train whistle and see most of their fireworks when they have them going. (They do the fireworks every night during the Summer until school time. The last ones they set off was just last weekend) This is just the nicest area and I love the people!! LOVE the people!! Lots to do and when life gets too stressful, you have those beautiful mountains to run to. The streams, the critters. It would be awesome to have more of our folks closer to this area.  I would just love to find a perfect little niche (store)  to sell candles, gifts, wreaths etc in. I would love to have it right in The Old Mill area.  Have a couple of big ole rocking chairs out front, offer coffee and have mountain dulcimer music playing. Dream ...dream!  :)

Edited by puma52
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, OldGlory said:

I think the fragrance part of the business would be nice. Maybe not a 'full time' income, but for the right person in the right circumstances, a nice part time business. Definitely doable if Kimberly agrees to it.

I buy some FOs from a wholesaler, specifically AFI. You can buy 10 lbs or 100 lbs. I am not familiar with the minimums at other wholesalers but this would be the perfect time to investigate that.

You know OldGlory, I was looking on the National Candle Association and there are tons of fragrance manufacturers. How does a person choose? AFI has been mentioned a lot on different blogs, but are they the best one to create scents for a company? Who does a person talk with to guide you to the best fragrance manufacturers?  Do you feel that AFI has your best interests at heart? Do you feel that they really care about how satisfied YOU are with their scents? There really is a lot of thought, ideas, suggestions, considerations that go into scent making. :) So interesting though! :)

• Like 1

On August 8, 2016 at 5:38 PM, OldGlory said:

I talked to Teri at Aztec today. There has been some discussion about trying to get some of TCS's fragrances at Aztec and they are at least open to the idea right now. She asked me for a list of the ones people seem to want the most, so I compiled a list from above. We talked about trying to dupe them vs. getting the actual codes/suppliers and we both agree that duping them could be a waste of time and resources. So she will talk to her boss again after I give them the list. They understand that they already have customers for them.

Here's my list of all the FOs that had more than one request:

This Old House (4 votes), Rasp. Peach Magnolia (3), Dried Apple Wreath (2), Tangerine Dreams (2), True Lavender (4), Vanilla Bean Noel (2), Buttercream (5), Sugar Cookie (2), Spicy Apples & Peaches (3). I will wait a few days to adjust the list as needed before giving it to Aztec.

Did I miss anything that has more than one vote? I don't know that it would be worth it for them unless several people are already buying it since they will most likely have to pay TN candle supplies for the information. When they duped 2 FOs for me, I already knew that I would buy at least 10 lbs a year in each FO so it was a win/win for them. KWIM?

Btw, AFI has a killer sugar cookie. Maybe someone would like to do a coop for it. I just bought 10 lbs of it for myself, and I'll go thru it all within a year.

I would be interested in doing a coop for it! I've been trying to find a really sugar cookie forever!

• Like 1

On August 10, 2016 at 8:36 PM, puma52 said:

Wishy, wishy I could!! NOW.....if a few of US ALL went in together, bought the business and formed a partnership...got a great lawyer, accountant, a whizz on the computer and last but not least an awesome PR person to promote the heck out of it.........now THAT'S what I'm a talkin' about!:)  I have envisioned new scents, how to's (because let me tell ya...those how to's using your products really sells YOUR products...ie Wholesale Supplies Plus, Nature's Garden, Brambleberry) , adding a few other products along the way would be awesome too. People do partnerships all the time. HOW in the world we could all keep these wonderful products in our worlds has been on my mind constantly ever since I seen that email from Kimberlie about closing the business. Constantly!! Eeek....what can we all do??!!

I would definitely love to be in on that!!!!!! :) I thought about emailing her too but was hoping she would sell all her present stock to go with the buyer..

Edited by Daisymay66
  • Like 1

On August 10, 2016 at 9:36 PM, puma52 said:

Wishy, wishy I could!! NOW.....if a few of US ALL went in together, bought the business and formed a partnership...got a great lawyer, accountant, a whizz on the computer and last but not least an awesome PR person to promote the heck out of it.........now THAT'S what I'm a talkin' about!:)  I have envisioned new scents, how to's (because let me tell ya...those how to's using your products really sells YOUR products...ie Wholesale Supplies Plus, Nature's Garden, Brambleberry) , adding a few other products along the way would be awesome too. People do partnerships all the time. HOW in the world we could all keep these wonderful products in our worlds has been on my mind constantly ever since I seen that email from Kimberlie about closing the business. Constantly!! Eeek....what can we all do??!!

Well....I have the storage for big old barrels but the first thing I would want to see is their profits - If I am understanding this correctly and she wants 30 thousand for the business there would have to be a high profit margin for me because like someone else stated....it's going to take deep pockets to get the inventory stocked 

a business partnership is a good idea....bringing in new and amazing scents that competitors do not have.....ideas ideas ideas 

• Like 1

Guest OldGlory

Puma, the only people who know how good the FOs are from a mfg are the ones who use the mfgs. I don't think Brambleberry is willing to share who they use, kwim?

I have gotten some FOs from AFI that I thought were disgusting, but then I think Hotel Costes from Sweetcakes is one of the most disgusting FOs I've ever smelled. It literally makes me gag. From what I've seen, everyone else think it's the best thing since the wheel. It's all so subjective. The only way we find out what's good is 1) we try it ourselves to see if our customers love it, or 2) we see a consensus on a message board but then we still have to try it for ourselves.

There is always an element of risk!

Well, don't you all keep worrying about the business and where it's going and all that because I PLAN on winning the big lotto this weekend and I will buying her business and keeping all the fragrances! So there!

Trappeur

• Like 5

Guest OldGlory
10 hours ago, Daisymay66 said:

I would be interested in doing a coop for it! I've been trying to find a really sugar cookie forever!

Daisymay, you can order up to 5 or 6 samples from AFI for only the cost of shipping - think it's still $5. The sugar cookie I use is called Sugar Cookie Royale. I haven't tried it in soy, only in a mostly paraffin blend.

If you wanted to do a coop, just have everyone buy samples for themselves from AFI first to test it.

Here is a picture of the jug next to a gallon bottle of water so you can see how big 10 lbs is. They are about the same depth.

IMG_20160812_112610-1.jpg

So how in the world  if there were to be a partnership amongst many does it work and how does everyone make money with so many investors?

And do you work from your home or not?

Somebody has to be the head cheese I would think.

Very interesting subject! 

And yes, I agree with what Old Glory said, the oils are the vital of the business.

Trappeur

• Like 2

People went round and round like this when TSW went OOB. All that was left at the time was the non-moving, unpopular inventory. The real value was in the codes not the boat anchor of aged inventory. They wanted something like a quarter million at the time. Without seeing the books I would not have even considered it. 

A small business like this would be pretty difficult to run as a partnership for profit, IMO. Someone just needs to negotiate a reasonable deal and pony up the cash as a sole investment and run with it if it seems worth while.

Similar closings a led to established fragrance sellers like Daystar, PFO, AHrE and Brambleberry extending their already popularlines. I think what a lot of people figure out is that very similar fragrances are available at other existing places just under a different name. Remember how many MW were just renames of Lebermuth and other FO?

• Like 3

You are so smart Tall Tayle....your right too....If someone really wants more info on this business they need to contact the agent and find out all the particulars.  I personally would NEVER go into business with anyone myself.  So much could go wrong, confliction, friends becoming unbest friends and relationships gone astray.  It's not like they were a huge operation.  They were Tenn. candle - only Brent and Kimberlie.  Brent and I were talking one time and he said not even the children were a part of the business, it was just a husband and wife team and they did it the two of them.  When I had my shop for close to 15 years in the home furnishings I was small but plenty of big for myself and my husband.  I had 1 employee and that was it.  God we worked 24/7 and there was many a time over the years we wanted to kill one another, but we were strong and we WERE not going to give up but make the business work and we sure did  I grew so friggen fast in the first year I had to find a bigger building and I could have gone bigger but we chose to stay the size we were as that is what we could only handle without getting into a lot of employees.  And besides that I wanted to keep complete control of the business and have a personal relationship  with all my clients. I wanted to stay special as that was my motto. That was very important to me.  Then things started taking a turn for the worst and my husband only 56 years old had a heart attack on the front porch and died.  I couldn't do the business without him.  I couldn't handle it.  I was the interior designer and he was the master artisan who created all fabulous rustic adirondack home furnishings.  And I had my own drapery workroom and designed pillows and custom shower curtains and bed ensembles.  I was so proud of what I had accomplished with my husband but I wound up doing what Kimberle is doing....selling off all the stock till there was nothing left.  I should have at the time sold my business as I had a couple offers way  of over 1/2 million dollars to buy my business, but no I wasn't going to give my shop up but I didn't know what was in store for the future.  I was too proud. But the difference with me versus TN Candle I had nothing to really offer the prospective buyer as my husband and I were the designers that we built our reputation on and without us in the business there really was nothing to buy but a listing of vendors of companies we bought our furnishings from.  Had I known then what was going to possibly happen in the future I should have sold out but I didn't.  So I closed my shop and have been on my own since.  I would love to own a company like that.   It's something that I know I could handle very easily but would definetly have to have a partner.  I would build that business even bigger and offer more in product and oils and I would offer the best product for the cheapest but still have the quality and not sacrifice any of it.  I would definitely give others a run for their money but not sacrifice for cheaper versian just to be cheaper.  I take pride in my work.  Kimberlie, even though she is selling off everything, I believe the person who buys her business could really really make a go of it and sit very comfortably.  It's small enough that it is a start for someone that they could build on very easily. When Brent was here, he always had some type of sale pretty often and he had the point system going.  Geesh, those 5.00 off per a bottle for a sale I was always taking advantage of and those points I would be racking up.   But he had wonderful oils.  He may not have had hundreds like other companies do, but his was quality and he was a very sincere honest man and shipping was wonderful with him and you just know that he wasn't gauging anyone.  I really admired and respected that man and he was just funny too....And who wouldn't want to have a working relationship like that with someone?

Trappeur 

• Like 3

I don't know how you put a price on a business, that is where you would have to get professional help here and with all the figures on a computer that is not accessable as far as the financial end goes I'm sure Kimberlie knows who they sell to and she is probably working hard on creating a list but being in business for that length of time as they have been must mean they were doing something right.  It's almost like starting over in a way but the fragrance codes th ank God she has access to that.  As far as the wicks and waxes go and all that they offered, anyone can figure that out if they do their homework.  If I was in a better position myself and could afford to buy the business, I would do in a heartbeat, but unfortunately I don't.  I hope someone does buy it and continues.

Trappeur

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Trappeur said:

I don't know how you put a price on a business, that is where you would have to get professional help here and with all the figures on a computer that is not accessible as far as the financial end goes I'm sure Kimberlie knows who they sell to and she is probably working hard on creating a list but being in business for that length of time as they have been must mean they were doing something right.  It's almost like starting over in a way but the fragrance codes thank God she has access to that.

Trappeur

Does she not have access to their website backend???

If she does, she can run customer lists in a second. Surely all other records such as suppliers and codes are available to her as well. Mine are not a part of my website but I have separate spreadsheets for all of that. 

Hope he left her with that information. 

3 hours ago, OldGlory said:

Puma, the only people who know how good the FOs are from a mfg are the ones who use the mfgs. I don't think Brambleberry is willing to share who they use, kwim?

I have gotten some FOs from AFI that I thought were disgusting, but then I think Hotel Costes from Sweetcakes is one of the most disgusting FOs I've ever smelled. It literally makes me gag. From what I've seen, everyone else think it's the best thing since the wheel. It's all so subjective. The only way we find out what's good is 1) we try it ourselves to see if our customers love it, or 2) we see a consensus on a message board but then we still have to try it for ourselves.

There is always an element of risk!

I'm with you on Hotel Costes :)  lol!   Thanks for the tip about AFI. I just ordered some samples - I got some Jo Malones to try in perfumes :). Got my fingers crossed for those!! If my business ever gets big enough, I am going to ask them to duplicate "Sweet Annie" for me. I have two tarts left from a candle place. I sent some out to a smaller FO supplier a fewmonths ago but they said they could not dupe it :(. 

I have to add that I emailed a question to AFI and they responded within 5 minutes!

Edited by maryta
  • Like 1

Guest OldGlory
2 hours ago, maryta said:

I'm with you on Hotel Costes :)  lol!   Thanks for the tip about AFI. I just ordered some samples - I got some Jo Malones to try in perfumes :). Got my fingers crossed for those!! If my business ever gets big enough, I am going to ask them to duplicate "Sweet Annie" for me. I have two tarts left from a candle place. I sent some out to a smaller FO supplier a fewmonths ago but they said they could not dupe it :(. 

I have to add that I emailed a question to AFI and they responded within 5 minutes!

I would love to hear your thoughts on the Jo Malones.

What is Sweet Annie like? The name brings to mind Sweet Melissa, which is lemon verbena. And Flaming has a lemon verbena that is good oob, but I didn't get a chance to test it in wax.

Nice to know I'm not the only one who thinks Hotel Costes is gross, lol. Although the description doesn't include vetiver, to me it smells like vetiver is a component. Either that or amber, which sometimes also hits me the wrong way.

1 hour ago, OldGlory said:

I would love to hear your thoughts on the Jo Malones.

What is Sweet Annie like? The name brings to mind Sweet Melissa, which is lemon verbena. And Flaming has a lemon verbena that is good oob, but I didn't get a chance to test it in wax.

Nice to know I'm not the only one who thinks Hotel Costes is gross, lol. Although the description doesn't include vetiver, to me it smells like vetiver is a component. Either that or amber, which sometimes also hits me the wrong way.

I love vetiver, though :) !.    The Sweet Annie tarts I used to buy are supposed to be the scent of dried Sweet Annie plant...it is an herb that is sweet and dry...the tart was so refreshing but also very unlike any other scent. Definitely not a lemon or lemon verbena. Along the lines of dried hay but still different. The candlemaker discontinued it and would not divulge where where the oil was procured (Scentsible Scents). I guess Sweet Annie was not popular but it was the "perfect" scent to me. I bought the last of their supply a few years ago.

I'll report back on the Jo Malones...the Grapefruit is one of my favorite perfume scents.  I got Orange Blossom and Vanilla Anise (which is candle-only). I have a Vanilla Anise candle and it does not throw at all in my house. I smelled it burning in a boutique once and it was so nice that I splurged on a candle. What a waste of money....at least it was not one of the larger ones!

Hotel Costes didn't live up to the hype for me. It smelled cheap and watered down. Nor did the Hermes dupe of Merveilleux, my favorite perfume of all time. It was a pale interpretation.

lemon verbena by AHRE sells well for me. Wicks easily. Soaps easily. And has a nice strong following in my niche. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Trappeur said:

Well, don't you all keep worrying about the business and where it's going and all that because I PLAN on winning the big lotto this weekend and I will buying her business and keeping all the fragrances! So there!

Trappeur

Would you let me buy some from ya friend? :bow:

5 hours ago, maryta said:

Let us know what you think of your samples...Would love to hear. :)

• Like 1

Guest OldGlory
1 hour ago, maryta said:

I love vetiver, though :) !.    The Sweet Annie tarts I used to buy are supposed to be the scent of dried Sweet Annie plant...it is an herb that is sweet and dry...the tart was so refreshing but also very unlike any other scent. Definitely not a lemon or lemon verbena. Along the lines of dried hay but still different. The candlemaker discontinued it and would not divulge where where the oil was procured (Scentsible Scents). I guess Sweet Annie was not popular but it was the "perfect" scent to me. I bought the last of their supply a few years ago.

BCN has hayride. A sweetgrass and sage mixture might be nice. Maybe FragranceOilFinder.com has a sweetgrass - it is sweet and hay-like. I can't remember where I smelled it but I loved it.

12 hours ago, OldGlory said:

BCN has hayride. A sweetgrass and sage mixture might be nice. Maybe FragranceOilFinder.com has a sweetgrass - it is sweet and hay-like. I can't remember where I smelled it but I loved it.

Thanks, Old Glory!  I do love that Hayride from BCN...it is different, though. Sweet Annie has no floral. It is like a unique, sweet sweetgrass scent. I've tried every sweetgrass and hay scent out there, I think! Just not the same :(  :).

I have some Sweetcakes Hermes Merveilleux, too, TallTayl, but haven't tried it yet. I did do the Fracas deluxe in perfume (spray) ...I didn't like it (quality seemed good but not my thing) but one of my friends LOVES it. It smells like seeds to me. I also did Aria and it was a bit yucky in soap and wax but nice in perfume (solid). I was going to toss it until I tried it in perfume.

Edited by maryta