Tennessee Candle Closing End OF August

Moonstar

Unbelievable.....I got an email as well and I am pretty upset 

I feel really really bad they are closing from a business perspective, that has to be so hard and emotionally difficult to go thru

Although I have not been making candles all summer I did have 3 of their scents lined up for colored Mason's for this Fall and winter......now I have to replace them with new ones 

this is the hardest part of candle making....you never know when a company is going to close doors and I do completely understand it happens and I feel horrible about it, the decision very well could just be a personal choice but if it was due to not enough sales that makes me sad 

I do wish them the best regardless, wonderful company and wonderful people, they will be missed ? 

• Like 2

Just horrible, but understandable.  I was speaking with Kimerlies friend who has been helping her since her husband died and she told me the business is for sale so can someone here buy it?  I wished I had the money as I would have loved doing something like that.  Most of their oils are out of stock now.  And some of my best sellers are from them.....yikes....now have to find replacements..

Trappeur

• Like 1

Guest OldGlory

Would you like me to ask Teri at Aztec if they would duplicate some of their FOs? Or maybe she could find out which source they used. What are the top 10 or 12 FOs from TN candle supply?

Edit: The 2 locations are probably 70-80 miles apart. Shipping costs shouldn't change.

Edited by OldGlory
added some info

This is so sad!! Kimberlie has been a real trooper since Brent passed away and has tried so hard to keep things going, but I understand. I feel so bad for her, it would be so difficult to stay passionate about your business when half the passion is not there.  They still have some of their awesome scents left. I just bought Dried Apple Wreath...I love that scent, Sugar Cookie, Tangerine Dream and Honeysuckle Passion. I loved the buttercream, but it was sold out and so was the Vanilla Bean Noel. I sure would love to see someone buy her company! That would be so awesome! 

• Like 1

I wonder if FB would duplicate them like they did Moon Works oils? I love her Salted Caramel Corn, VBN, Buttercream, Sugar Cookie, Egg Nog, and several more. 

I would love to buy her business but I don't have anywhere to keep stock. I just told my husband that he'd have to build me some type of building.

• Like 1

Question. My husband and I are sitting here talking about their candle supply business and what we would have to do to buy it, stock it etc. I was telling him about BCS and Houston Candle Supply going out of business. I can understand HCS going because they had very few oils and only carried 3 kinds of wax. BCS had a lot of wax to choose from but a lot of their oils had a nutty smell to me so I'm not sure if that's what got them or not.

My question is this, in your professional opinion, would this be a good business venture? They have great oils and I really do hate to see all of us not being able to get them. I just don't know if I'm willing to stick my neck out like that LOL! But it's a nice thought sitting here rolling it over in my mind.

• Like 8

Yes it's very sad to hear, I'm sure it was a difficult decision to make. I remember when they first opened for business. Brent was so nice and helpful when I spoke to him several times by phone. Several of my long time fragrances come from there. They will be missed!

• Like 1

I think it would be a great business venture! Quite a few of their oils for me are unique and throw so well in my wax tarts. Argh. True Lavender is one ... and Tennessee Buttercream is the ONLY buttercream that works for me. It would be great if someone could continue the business. I was just about to place a very large order as I've finished testing for a new line and Tennessee figured heavily. I ordered what I could but it was not enough. Such a bummer. If the business would continue, I'd be thrilled. I am skeptical of an existing FO supplier duplicating their oils because I've found several companies' FO's as a whole just don't work for me. Their oil formulations just don't work in my wax.

That said, can anyone recommend a lavender that is the same as Tennessee True Lavender?? :):( I've tested so many and this is everyone's favorite and in several of my house blends :(

Edited by maryta

27 minutes ago, Belinda said:

I wonder if FB would duplicate them like they did Moon Works oils? I love her Salted Caramel Corn, VBN, Buttercream, Sugar Cookie, Egg Nog, and several more. 

I would love to buy her business but I don't have anywhere to keep stock. I just told my husband that he'd have to build me some type of building.

I think he should start building :) !

• Like 3

Without seeing their books it would be hard for me to cough up $30k. An awful lot of small suppliers run very thin margins.

I'd rather see places that specialize in fragrances, like AromaHaven or DayStar, to name only 2, buy the codes and offer the good sellers. Having hosting numerous co-ops, I have to admit the amount of work and risk for the tiny profit is not worth it to me. One $600 keg goes down and tears roll. 

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, Belinda said:

Question. My husband and I are sitting here talking about their candle supply business and what we would have to do to buy it, stock it etc. I was telling him about BCS and Houston Candle Supply going out of business. I can understand HCS going because they had very few oils and only carried 3 kinds of wax. BCS had a lot of wax to choose from but a lot of their oils had a nutty smell to me so I'm not sure if that's what got them or not.

My question is this, in your professional opinion, would this be a good business venture? They have great oils and I really do hate to see all of us not being able to get them. I just don't know if I'm willing to stick my neck out like that LOL! But it's a nice thought sitting here rolling it over in my mind.

I think it could be a lucrative business. I had considered doing it on a small scale, but work full time and didn't want a business to suffer from my not being able to give 100%.

I was sitting here thinking the same thing....would have to see the books to make that risk

I would want to know I could profit that amount in a year to pay it off plus some- I would imagine there is a lot involved in that business and you have to be ready to jump at all times to pour, pack and ship to keep people happy 

I'm so sad to hear this. I love so many of their oils. Buttercream is my all time favorite of theirs and is the key ingredient in my vanilla blend. I tried using another companies once and customers could tell something wasn't the same! What a shame. Great company and lovely folks.

Edited by Faerywren
  • Like 2

Talltayl could you explain to me what buying codes is? 

I have heard this before from PFO when they bought some of MW....they couldn't get all scents because Rhonda would not sell all the codes.....something to that effect

couldnt I just decide to start a fragrance business and get wholesale pricing to any out there I want? Where do codes come into play 

Good question Moonshine. I was wondering the same thing.

I know Stacy from Daystar personally. I'm wondering if she'd be interested in buying some of the oils that Tennessee carries. That would be great for all of us and she's only 10 miles down the road from me. 

It really makes me sad that this has happened to Kim too. It's so sad that she's lost her husband and now the business that they both loved.

• Like 1

I just got a message from Stacy and she says she does dupe oils. She also said she might contact Kimberly to see if she would be willing to sell some of her codes so maybe all is not lost.

I sure wish Kim all the best in whatever she does. 

• Like 6