Candle Science changes in oils not even close to old fragrances

EllyM

It started with Pink Sugar! They had the best "non vanillin" PS :(
I still have a lot of their old formulas FO's including Lime Cooler that I am hoarding. LOL
It's almost like they are catering to the new class and ignore the old schoolers. 

6 minutes ago, Lizzy said:

I still have a lot of their old formulas FO's including Lime Cooler that I am hoarding. LOL
It's almost like they are catering to the new class and ignore the old schoolers. 

Lime Cooler is amazing. I'm trying to find a replacement. They are making tons of money by calling it clean. It's awful. No fragrances are clean. They are all chemicals. They were my favorite and now I hate their fragrances. 

• Thumbs Up 1

So here is a question, am I to assume the only fragrances that were modified were the ones that have a previously discontinued version (Pineapple Sage is one example)?  Another one I like a lot is Strudel and Spice, and while it does say it is a "Clean Scent", it does not have a previously discontinued version.  Am I to assume that whatever chemicals they used previously met their "Clean" metrics?  I need to know which scents to worry about and I'm thinking those with discontinued versions are the ones we need to have concerns with.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/23/2020 at 4:46 AM, Lizzy said:

This is hard to hear!!!

Too many of their scents are starting to smell similar to my nose.  And for goodness sakes, why do they have 4 scents with "currant" in the name?  Apparently currant replaced some vital component...probably a good ol' phthalate.

On 9/12/2020 at 11:28 AM, EllyM said:

Is anyone else frustrated with all the changes Candle Science has made?  They were my favorite supplier but each fragrance change has been a dud. And then all the ones they have discontinued! I am trying to find dupes of all the ones I use now because I'm sure eventually they will be gone or changed to something not even close.

Oh no, oh no, I don't want to hear it, I can't take it. LOL! Waxes have gone through changes and now FOs too. Yikes! 🤣 😝

On 9/12/2020 at 3:09 PM, TallTayl said:

Some claimed the AFI Odor remover worked as well or better? 

In order to get any dupes made we need a min of 1 oz of the original. a spare oz is helpful to compare what we get back.

we get back 1 oz of their copy to test. Must have decent pre-buy commitment for the 25 lb keg. 

Takes a few weeks round trip. I can help facilitate as needed. 

Wow, that's helpful and great to know you can get that done if needed. Thanks.

On 10/9/2020 at 6:51 AM, Ray said:

I'm going to walk a VERY thin line here....when they started to get political on their website, I started to look for alternate sources. 

I'm with you...sad to say tho cuz they have several scents that I wish I didn't have to live without

• Like 2

15 hours ago, sarahmarah said:

I don’t recall them ever getting political? 
Maybe I missed something?

I don't remember them being explicitly political but they have cut waxes from their supply for concerns about sustainability, provide carbon-neutral shipping options, and support a living wage which might be considered leftist by more conservative people?

Edit:  They do also have a Black Lives Matter banner towards the bottom of their home page, which I don't consider controversial but others might?

Edited by prs7979
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/15/2020 at 8:26 AM, prs7979 said:

I don't remember them being explicitly political but they have cut waxes from their supply for concerns about sustainability, provide carbon-neutral shipping options, and support a living wage which might be considered leftist by more conservative people?

Edit:  They do also have a Black Lives Matter banner towards the bottom of their home page, which I don't consider controversial but others might?

Please tell me what BLM has to do with candle making

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Darbla said:

I guess we chandlers should be used to disappointment by now.  :(  All my very favorite suppliers are gone or now selling shades of their former scents.  

This is why I try to buy new old stock. I'm tired of the formulations. Why do they ruin a great thing?

I happened to come across this thread, I have slowly moved away from them over the years because of a few CS issues that I wasn't happy with, but still used their Mistletoe as it is a great seller.  I am assuming that this one is changed also as it says reformulated.  Just realized I am almost out at the worse possible time of year!  Has anyone tried the new version of this or know of anything close to their old one?   I did see that AFI has their dupe of it.

• Like 1

Although I like some of their fragrance oils, I am am not interested in the constant change with CS.

There are other companies that understand the need for a constant supply chain for their customers.

And what someone else said the clean scents is kind of stupid. You are still burning aroma chem molecules and gmo soy.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NightLight said:

Although I like some of their fragrance oils, I am am not interested in the constant change with CS.

There are other companies that understand the need for a constant supply chain for their customers.

And what someone else said the clean scents is kind of stupid. You are still burning aroma chem molecules and gmo soy.

Amen to that

• Like 1

On 10/5/2020 at 2:45 PM, bfroberts said:

Too many of their scents are starting to smell similar to my nose.  And for goodness sakes, why do they have 4 scents with "currant" in the name?  Apparently currant replaced some vital component...probably a good ol' phthalate.

Have you tried Cierra? She has great fragrances and has phthalates.

Copied this from CS website:

REVISION NOTICE: It is our policy to notify customers if any part of a fragrance was changed for any reason.

This was on Love Spell.  They changed it in 2018.   So .... I guess they make a revision notice if they change a fragrance.

On 11/3/2020 at 5:49 AM, ShelleyF said:

Have you tried Cierra? She has great fragrances and has phthalates.

Thanks for this Shelley!   I ordered the Volcano for a replacement for Fruit Slices and it is wonderful!   So much stronger.   I need to replace 2 more scents from CS and I'm done with that company.   I always order enough for 100 pound weight and last order they ran my pay pal and then cancelled it so they could add $20 freight to ship Frazier Fir from Nevada.    With NO mention of the added freight for this fragrance.   How is this ethical? 

Done with CS.  I've already found new source for soap bases and wax.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/15/2020 at 1:51 AM, Dirt Roads said:

Thanks for this Shelley!   I ordered the Volcano for a replacement for Fruit Slices and it is wonderful!   So much stronger.   I need to replace 2 more scents from CS and I'm done with that company.   I always order enough for 100 pound weight and last order they ran my pay pal and then cancelled it so they could add $20 freight to ship Frazier Fir from Nevada.    With NO mention of the added freight for this fragrance.   How is this ethical? 

Done with CS.  I've already found new source for soap bases and wax.  

That is horrible of them to do That. I don't buy from them any more. I haven't tried Cierra volcano but will now. 

On 9/21/2020 at 6:46 PM, NightLight said:

Well just Received a new bottle of Blue Spruce and it’s not the same. This was one of my favorites.

I actually use a bit of Blue Spruce in a blend, I thought they didn't have the nerve to actually touch one of their all time bestsellers.. All of their other scents I have completely given up on last year.

In what way did Blue Spruce change?

It started with their change in Golden Brand waxes, it got worse when they tried to cater to soaping with their candle fragrances and the big nail in the coffin was the "clean scent" strategy plus only carrying two wick series (I'm not even counting LX as a decent wick tbh).

I could also mention their drama with their white and black straight sided tumblers that was going on for about a year or two.