Outside Views on Pouring Temps

Shown here are some comments made in the review section on a supplier's website. The wax being reviewed is IGI 6006.

image.thumb.png.01abde3e3fbd81ce541b8aac972938f9.png

This reviewer is concerned that the temperature not be allowed to drop below 170F. That must be his/her pouring temperature. I've noticed this type comment made in other places during my travels around the internet. I've had the same concerns myself. I think I posted a similar comment on this forum before. What would you surmise is the concern here? If it does drop below the pouring temperature of 170, can't you just put it back on the heat source and bring the temp back up again as you continue to to stir? Could you "damage" the fragrance?

image.thumb.png.b1c6233c2b431082ee6612d213e23650.png

Here's another example of the candle maker concerned about damaging, or as they put it, "killing" the fragrance oil. This reviewer is concerned about damaging the fragrance oil by getting it too hot. Are these legitimate concerns? Can you "damage" or "kill" your fragrance with the temperature? As I said, I've thought about this same issue. It would seem to me that if you could damage your FO by letting the temperature fluctuate up and down, then you would never be able to come back later and reheat your wax for your second pour or top off! Is it possible that the issues mentioned in these two reviews are just candle making urban myth? I'm interested in hearing your opinions.

I use 6006 and I wouldn't put much stock in those post. The key is to make sure the wax and FO get blended and stays blended. I've heated the wax to 200 and warmed my FO, and I've heated the wax to 180 and used cool FO and I don't think it matters. What I have noticed is that if you don't keep it stirred it can kill your HT. The key is to get it blended and keep it blended. To that end stir well before pouring, and do not pour too hot. Once on a batch of candles I stirred for 30 seconds and poured right away, I got no HT and blamed it on the FO.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When reading reviews, I am always skeptical. I look for a general consensus about performance, quality, value, etc.

I never put much stock in any single review. Most people who post reviews do not have the understanding or experience to know how to make a really excellent candle. 

Except one time a read a review on CS from some @bfroberts person, and I was like "Shoooo, that girl knows her sh*t!". 😆

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

There seems to be a lot of incorrect information being spread around by some popular chandlers on YouTube and the like about fragrance "burning off." So many beginners are being told to add fragrance at what, to me, are crazy low temperatures. 125ºF and even lower. Then they wonder why they have no hot throw when they follow this popular advice and are told it's defective wax or fragrance. 🤷‍♀️

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Pffft! I heat my palm as high as 110 degrees F and add FO when its over 200. Burning off fragrance oil is just one of those urban myths that keeps getting passed around ad nauseum.

Remember that FOs made for candlemaking are made to endure high heating temps. They have to or very soon candlemakers would not have durable scents to use in candlmaking. I think some people just forget that or don't think about that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Sarah S said:

When reading reviews, I am always skeptical. I look for a general consensus about performance, quality, value, etc.

I never put much stock in any single review. Most people who post reviews do not have the understanding or experience to know how to make a really excellent candle. 

Except one time a read a review on CS from some @bfroberts person, and I was like "Shoooo, that girl knows her sh*t!". 😆

She sure does know her stuff.   You should have seen the beautiful candle she made me....flawless - smooth as glass tops and wonderful throw.

Trappeur

• Like 3

On 2/1/2019 at 10:23 AM, Candybee said:

Remember that FOs made for candlemaking are made to endure high heating temps. They have to or very soon candlemakers would not have durable scents to use in candlmaking. I think some people just forget that or don't think about that.

Thank you. Very good point. 

On 2/1/2019 at 11:23 AM, Candybee said:

Pffft! I heat my palm as high as 110 degrees F and add FO when its over 200. Burning off fragrance oil is just one of those urban myths that keeps getting passed around ad nauseum.

Agreed...found this out the hard way when all of my wax was sweating oils weeks later and not from the FO load, it resolved upon adding at higher temperatures (same FO %).

• Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/2/2019 at 5:50 PM, Quentin said:

I find all the witnesses who have taken the stand here in this thread/court are highly creditable. Those review comments didn't seem plausible to me. I'm slamming the gavel down. Case dismissed.

LOL!  Quentin, I sure hope you're serious about letting go this obsession with temperature!  Like my prescription for clients who are hypochondriacs:  Get the hell off the internet. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Arch Rock said:

LOL!  Quentin, I sure hope you're serious about letting go this obsession with temperature!  Like my prescription for clients who are hypochondriacs:  Get the hell off the internet. 

Oh I given up the obsession with temperatures. I've found that unless it is an extreme deviation from the norm, it makes no difference whatsoever. My general rule now is: Going low will usually work. Going high will generally cause problems. I'm no longer obsessed with it. I'm just interested. Thanks for your concern.:)

• Haha 1

On 2/2/2019 at 4:50 PM, Quentin said:

I find all the witnesses who have taken the stand here in this thread/court are highly creditable.

I just noticed an error I made here. I should have said "credible" not "creditable".  Looking at them both side by side, neither of them looks right! I'll have to pull out my dictionary. 

Edited by Quentin
Typo
  • Haha 2

34 minutes ago, Quentin said:

I just noticed an error I made here. I should have said "credible" not "creditable".  Looking at them both side by side, neither of them looks right! I'll have to pull out my dictionary. 

Here ya go, you can borrow mine. LOL   https://www.dictionary.com/

Edited by Laura C
  • Haha 2

Hi!

Sooo much snow here in Milwaukee that I’m staying home to spend hours here reading your great posts!

my 2 cents regarding temps. 

For now I’ve been using coconut wax from Northwoods, this one has no paraffin and the virgin coconut wax from Lab & Co. which has a small amt. of paraffin and 464 soy wax. 

Ive varied my temps with all three, using the recommended temps. and repeated the tests using lower temps, 150, add f.o. Cool to 110, pour. Absolutely no difference. Neither in ct and ht. Smooth tops always, sometimes slight adhesion problems but no diff at all.

lately I’m mixing either one of these coconut waxes with 464 wax and they are perfect using lower temps. Lucky maybe?

The wicks though, another story!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Since they are only talking about IG 6006, I think what they are saying in those posts is they are following the recommended heat to 185 and and fo immediately because the temp drops to 170 quickly and that is too low to add fo.  IDK just playing the devil's advocate here I guess.  I read it totally differently.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I have a question about all this. You say heat to this temp, mix FO at this temp, keep mixing for a couple minutes blah blah, then I see this Coogar machine on youtube that does all this for you. Now the problem I am having is this Coogar machine mixes the scents right when it pours into jar, not before. So whats the deal with that, do you really need to mix FO for several minutes or not?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That machine likely has an internal mechanical mixer that is more thorough than a human with a paint stirrer. Without it there’s no way to create a reliable, consistent end product. If one candle is nearly all FO and the next nearly all wax that machine would fail to thrive on any market. 

Short answer, you need to mix long enough to homogenize your wax, additive and FO.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CaptnKush said:

Ok, I have a question about all this. You say heat to this temp, mix FO at this temp, keep mixing for a couple minutes blah blah, then I see this Coogar machine on youtube that does all this for you. Now the problem I am having is this Coogar machine mixes the scents right when it pours into jar, not before. So whats the deal with that, do you really need to mix FO for several minutes or not?

That's some impressive machine.

• Like 1

Tall Taylor it says right in the video that it mixes right when you pour. I have seen another video of the machine and it has the bottle of FO on top along with a color bottle with a hose that sucks out what you need. You can clearly see in the below video the FO tube going to the handle. It does not pre mix in the whole storage tank of wax hence the claim that its so fast to switch different fragrances. So that mean it does not mix until it reaches the handle and pour tube. Here is the other video . Haven't found a price yet, it says to call for quote. Imagine anywhere from 3 to 6k I'm betting.

Edited by CaptnKush
  • Like 1