I'm taking a poll on everyone who makes candles what wax they use.

There sure is a lot of us candle makers on this forum and I'm very interested in taking a poll of what each of us uses for wax for candles.

I want to try a paraffin because it is a fact that paraffin is super throwing correct?  Or a palm wax is another super thrower, correct?

So I'm taking a poll to see what we all use.  If you could state what brand wax and style it would be great.  If you use a blend of any thing, it would be great if you tell your combo.  Now if you don't care to divulge what your blend is, that is your trade secret I very well respect if you don't want to say what it is, so no problem there.  But if you could tell your wax that you have been consistently  happy with whether you sell candles or make for yourself that is what I am asking...not if your experimenting with new blends to come up with a better choice of wax....Oh yes, how bout telling what wicks you use too? And if your are happy with your wax could you state yes or no?

Trappeur

Ok, I'll go first.

I use 464 ( all soy)with cd wicks....

Pretty happy with...been using for years though I had to change wicking recently.

Next???

Trappeur

Edited by Trappeur
  • Like 2

paraffin
"CAN" be super throwing if wicked well.

ditto palm.

I use in no particular order

Beeswax with square braid

Soy - c3 with ECO

Coconut - with ECO usually.

paraffin 4630 for me me me! with paper core wicks

paraffin 4786 with beeswax for containers for MEMEME! with HTP usually.

and then blends of all of the above because a girl can never have too many candles.

• Like 4

I primarily use the GB 464 with ECO wicks for my container candles. For melts/tarts I have fallen in love with the EcoSoya Q230. I know there have been a lot of bad things said about that wax but with proper cure time it gives off amazing throw!

• Like 1

I use paraffin for pillars - IGI 1343 with additional additives,  IGI 4625 with additional additives, Pre-production pillar with no additives,. Depending on the type of pillar I am making, determines the type of wax I use for that application. 

Also paraffin for containers, J50, and will sometimes mix IGI 4794 (a votive wax) and will put in additional additives depending on what I'm doing at the time. 

I use palm - glass glow for containers. 

For my palm pillars, I use Starlite or Starburst (can't remember). Feather Palm, PQ Palm, Quartz palm and there is one more that I'm about to run out of that I can't remember the name of. 

Votives I use IGI 4794 (paraffin) with additional additives. 

For my wax melts I either use one of my palm waxes (doesn't matter which one, they are all great for melts) or I will mix IGI 4794 with IGI 4625 50/50. 

For my hurricanes (my "forever" type) I use IGI 1260, -no scent, but I do add stearic to help with release and opacity. 

Edited by Jcandleattic

I only use soy in containers.  Haven't ventured beyond those yet.

Favorite:  Midwest container wax with soy wax modifier (formerly Enchanted Lites) -  eco wicks.  

Runner up:  I've recently tried Millennium and I really like it.  It's nice because you don't need a modifier.

I order both from American Soy.

No- go for me:  GB464.  I tried my best to figure this one out but just couldn't make it work.  I greatly admire those who have.  Based on Trappeur's comment about changing wicks, maybe it was the eco wicks, but it was entirely too fussy for me.

On deck to try:  I have a small bag of C3 that I am going to test this week.  Who knows - could become my favorite.  I've heard good things.

Side note:  I recently ordered some FOs from Wellington.  I thought I'd give their soy a whirl, and was pleasantly surprised.  Surprised only because it was not what I initially intended to order.      Their soy is Well-Flakes, and I added a small amount of stearic acid.  Performed beautifully with a number of test FOs (not Wellington's) on first try.  Curious if anyone has worked with this and if it's reliable.   Maybe it was a lucky strike for me.  On the other hand, their FOs  OOB are not strong at all.  Haven't tested those yet.  

• Like 1

I have only made candles for myself & family members. I have always used 4630 with zinc or hemp wicks . I will add  4630 has been a one pour wax for me ,pouring at 160 . I have only made a handfull of scents with candles ,would love to find the time for more testing & pouring candles . I know many experienced paraffin candle crafters here will chime in for you . I did pour a Citronella Orange candle last week 4786 with zinc wick ,had some left from a long while back during my wax testing stage for melts. The candle has a great throw on my porch ,keeps the pesty mosquitoes away . The 4786 does require a second pour . I do not have the patience for this at all . If I had to choose between 4630 & 4786 ,definitely would go with 4630 . I know you will the perfect paraffin wax your looking for. Your a candle making QUEEN.  :) 

I will chime in  as well. 

GB 444 for me as I need the higher melting point for outdoor Summer shows. I like an HTP or sometimes an ECO wick in it. For pillar and votives I used to use Ecosoya pillar blend but since the change I have not ventured down that road again. I currently have a few pounds of Palm and a few pounds of Apricot wax sitting here to try. 

Karen in MA

I use 1274 mottling wax for pillars.......depending on the pouring temp, I can create full mottled candles and/rustics/marbled, etc.  For container candles I use 4630 and am more than happy with the results.

I am at a crossroad still....

-415 user here for years and still trying to make it workable to use up what I have but no plans to continue with it down the road - CD and CDN wicks 

-palm wax with RRD or CSN wicks make a beautiful candle I’m finding 

-coconut is my new obsession with mostly eco wicks

-C3 soy I’m dabbling in again seeing I never gave it half a chance years ago and I’m finding I like it more and more with eco wicks 

-444 I wanted so bad to love but it’s awful...months down the road it cracks, the burn is ugly and it doesn’t play nice with others at all- tried CD-HTP-ECO and even paper core

-Midwest soy and millennium are okay, not in love with all the qualities enough to pursue but still burning some Midwest ones and they are strong...I will give it that so maybe cosmetic issues I can get over 🤷‍♀

-4630 is the first container paraffin I ever used straight and I blended it with soy, it’s a very nice wax with great throw- paper core work great 

-4625 is great blended with a parasoy for votives and pillars- eco wicks 

-beeswax excellent in blends of all the above and blended in soys or coconut for melts 

-Clarus 3022 excellent wax also and so easy to work with- HTP and paper wicks 

I know you only asked for what people are using but I thought I would list all the ones I have been using the past year...time will tell which ones I decide on permanently and my time is running out- need to start producing again 🤦‍♀

• Like 2

I use IGI 6006, as I am a hobbyist with 90 pounds of the stuff I’ll be using it for the foreseeable future. As for wicks I have been using zinc core, but I’m in testing and the Premier 700 series and CD seem to work better in my containers. I also have some 4630 that I use for melts when I need instant gratification.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Pam W said:

I use 1274 mottling wax for pillars.......depending on the pouring temp, I can create full mottled candles and/rustics/marbled, etc.  For container candles I use 4630 and am more than happy with the results.

What wicks do you use with 4630 Pam?

Trappeur

30 minutes ago, Forrest said:

I use IGI 6006, as I am a hobbyist with 90 pounds of the stuff I’ll be using it for the foreseeable future. As for wicks I have been using zinc core, but I’m in testing and the Premier 700 series and CD seem to work better in my containers. I also have some 4630 that I use for melts when I need instant gratification.

Do you use 4630 on it's own for melts ?Just curious if this may be to soft for melts without adding a pillar/votive with it .Thanks you kindly 😀

I have been using EZ Soy from Bittercreek and CD wicks for many years and have been very pleased. I recently made a batch of candles using 464 and CD wicks. The only noticeable difference I experienced was that the tops of the candles were much smoother, I had to wick down using the same style jar and there was a dent in one of the candles.

1 minute ago, katmeltswax said:

Do you use 4630 on it's own for melts ?Just curious if this may be to soft for melts without adding a pillar/votive with it .Thanks you kindly 😀

It is soft if you want to use your melts right away. If they sit a week or so it is fine. Of course I don't want to wait so I just run a knife around the edge and they come out without too much trouble. It wouldn't be my first choice, but it was free.

• Like 1

I use Candlewic's CBL125. I love it. It is a single pour, and it throws like an MLB pitcher on steroids. 

I use HTP wicks and I love them as well!

My only compliant about the combo, is that a jar can go from perfect to over wicked after the midpoint in a flash, and then it soots like crazy.

I throw in a pinch of their Soy 125 for aesthetics.

I have recently been playing with their CBL 130, which is similar to 6006. It's a single pour, and the throw is good. I definitely like the CBL 125 more. The 130 has a few issues, and I'm not sure if the HT quality is good enough for me to overlook them, but overall it's a nice soy blend, and I like it for bakery scents in particular. 

I would really like to get some container palm to play with next!

• Like 3

Soy C3 with cotton core wicks (20+ yrs) also use for melts both clam and molded

Palm with CD or CDN wicks (just here and there) only containers

Soy C3/Coconut Wax Blend (just started testing with LX wicks in those tiny mason jars)

Edited by kandlekrazy
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Sarah S said:

I use Candlewic's CBL125. I love it. It is a single pour, and it throws like an MLB pitcher on steroids. 

I use HTP wicks and I love them as well!

My only compliant about the combo, is that a jar can go from perfect to over wicked after the midpoint in a flash, and then it soots like crazy.

I throw in a pinch of their Soy 125 for aesthetics.

I have recently been playing with their CBL 130, which is similar to 6006. It's a single pour, and the throw is good. I definitely like the CBL 125 more. The 130 has a few issues, and I'm not sure if the HT quality is good enough for me to overlook them, but overall it's a nice soy blend, and I like it for bakery scents in particular. 

I would really like to get some container palm to play with next!

Sarah you are going to have everyone on the CBL 125 train with that MLB pitcher comment, LOL!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, kandlekrazy said:

Sarah you are going to have everyone on the CBL 125 train with that MLB pitcher comment, LOL!

You got that right KK!  I'vd gone back to Sarah's post 5 times already and going to go and look it up her wax.  I'm trying to figure out what her MLB stands for....lol...I'm thinking the m letter stands for mother and b is for B.....ch but the L has me stumped..

Maybe she meant "F"?.....idn...

Trappeur

Edited by Trappeur
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Trappeur said:

Omg!   I wasn't even in the ball park trying to think what those letters stood for!

Trappeur

Ballpark, lol. 

I only know because of a baseball crazed family. Go Cubs! 

• Like 1