I'm taking a poll on everyone who makes candles what wax they use.

48 minutes ago, ldunleav said:

After a lot of testing I have figured out that I like Millennium wax with CD wicks. I get a good throw with a week's cure. Some oils perform better than others of course. :-) 

I haven't done much reading about Millennium, so I thought I'd finally take a few moments and go out to read on a few sites.  I hope you don't mind if I ask you a question about it.  It seems to me that this wax is very white rather than a light ivory color as some other soy waxes, is that true?  For some candle designs, this could be a nice change.

14 minutes ago, birdcharm said:

I haven't done much reading about Millennium, so I thought I'd finally take a few moments and go out to read on a few sites.  I hope you don't mind if I ask you a question about it.  It seems to me that this wax is very white rather than a light ivory color as some other soy waxes, is that true?  For some candle designs, this could be a nice change.

Hello there. Yes when I started working with it I noticed that it seemed whiter than the 464 I was using. I liked that about it. You can ask all you want. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ldunleav said:

Hello there. Yes when I started working with it I noticed that it seemed whiter than the 464 I was using. I liked that about it. You can ask all you want. 

That's interesting, thank you!  Are there some other major differences that stand out to you in your experience?  I see that it comes in pellets rather than flakes, and it seems as though the recommended temperature for heating might be a bit lower.  Does it have a shinier appearance at all?  Thanks again!

24 minutes ago, birdcharm said:

That's interesting, thank you!  Are there some other major differences that stand out to you in your experience?  I see that it comes in pellets rather than flakes, and it seems as though the recommended temperature for heating might be a bit lower.  Does it have a shinier appearance at all?  Thanks again!

I don't really notice it being shinier but its been a bit since i have worked with others to compare. I heat to 160 and add fragrance at 135 then pour when it starts to get milky. Just really was my favorite to work with and am happy with the results. Seems really clean to me (if that makes sense :-)). 

2 hours ago, ldunleav said:

I don't really notice it being shinier but its been a bit since i have worked with others to compare. I heat to 160 and add fragrance at 135 then pour when it starts to get milky. Just really was my favorite to work with and am happy with the results. Seems really clean to me (if that makes sense :-)). 

It sounds nice, I may try some this year.  I was reading a review and someone said they thought it seemed to be "cleaner burning" or less oily than some others.  If I get some, I'll be sure to post my thoughts about it!

14 hours ago, birdcharm said:

It sounds nice, I may try some this year.  I was reading a review and someone said they thought it seemed to be "cleaner burning" or less oily than some others.  If I get some, I'll be sure to post my thoughts about it!

I will be curious to hear your thoughts. I am considering playing with blending it with their 100% soy container wax to cut cost a bit. I liked the container wax for the same reasons as the Millennium but tops with container alone were not as nice. I have talked to a woman that had good results blending container wax with 464...so am curious. 

Also a 464 user, but seem to be the only one who likes Premier wicks with it.  I read a ton of posts from Old Glory (so helpful) about Premier and gave them a whirl.  Works fairly well for me--occaionally need to use ECO or CD for hard to wick scents (mostly smokey ones).  Not a fan of how 464 looks after being burned.

Would love to try C3, Clarus 3022 or another parasoy blend.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ellajoan said:

Not a fan of how 464 looks after being burned.

Someone suggested that i try the 464, i really love the wax that i use though. Do you have a pic to show what you mean? It must be a pretty good wax if you are using it despite not liking it after being burned.

I know years ago i purchased a case of wax and when i did my test burns,when the melt pool cooled it was a different shade. 

I have been using Coconut 83 straight and also blended with additives. I have also been using Ultra Wax by General Wax that is a coconut blend. I have not come up with a candle mix that I am satisfied with yet, still learning and testing. I also just recently ordered the IGI 6570 coconut paraffin wax blend to test. Will probably try another coconut soy blend or make my own.

So far, I do really like the Coconut 83 but the biggest problem is that strong C&H scent throw is hit or miss, no matter what I do. Then on the opposite end is Ultra coconut Wax, I'm having issues with it making too soft of a candle (unless they just have to cure for several weeks) but the wax has strong C&H scent throw.

Maybe I should mix the two and see what I get. 😎

Edited by Laura C

On 8/15/2018 at 10:24 AM, ellajoan said:

Also a 464 user, but seem to be the only one who likes Premier wicks with it.  I read a ton of posts from Old Glory (so helpful) about Premier and gave them a whirl.  Works fairly well for me--occaionally need to use ECO or CD for hard to wick scents (mostly smokey ones).  Not a fan of how 464 looks after being burned.

Would love to try C3, Clarus 3022 or another parasoy blend.  

I always loved the C3 b/4 I switched to 464 and never had any problems with it at all...but probably would now with all the stuff that has happened.  Oh yes, she loved her Premiers, Old Glory.   She made some beautiful candles.   I still need to start testing the premiers if I ever get the time.....sigh....

Question Ellajoan.....Does it really matter what the wax looks like after it is burned?    As long as it burns good and you have a nice scent is all that really matters?

Was just curious, that's all...

Trappeur

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Trappeur said:

Does it really matter what the wax looks like after it is burned?    As long as it burns good and you have a nice scent is all that really matters?

I know consumers don't care, at least none of my friends that burn soy candles care one iota about what a candle looks like after they have it in their home. They care about a nice scent and a well burning candle. 

Most people who buy/burn soy candles know that the way it looks before, during, and after a burn is just a characteristic of soy. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Jcandleattic said:

I know consumers don't care, at least none of my friends that burn soy candles care one iota about what a candle looks like after they have it in their home. They care about a nice scent and a well burning candle. 

Most people who buy/burn soy candles know that the way it looks before, during, and after a burn is just a characteristic of soy. 

I agree. Plus on the other side of the matter, the rough tops just proves that your candle does have soy in it or at least a considerable amount. I think it's a good thing, it sets it apart. But nothing wrong with the smooth, satiny tops either. 

16 hours ago, Laura C said:

I agree. Plus on the other side of the matter, the rough tops just proves that your candle does have soy in it or at least a considerable amount. I think it's a good thing, it sets it apart. 

On 8/23/2018 at 2:39 PM, Jcandleattic said:

Agree with all of these comments.  They match my experiences as well.

• Like 1

On 8/22/2018 at 4:37 PM, Trappeur said:

I always loved the C3 b/4 I switched to 464 and never had any problems with it at all...but probably would now with all the stuff that has happened.  Oh yes, she loved her Premiers, Old Glory.   She made some beautiful candles.   I still need to start testing the premiers if I ever get the time.....sigh....

Question Ellajoan.....Does it really matter what the wax looks like after it is burned?    As long as it burns good and you have a nice scent is all that really matters?

Was just curious, that's all...

Trappeur

I was just curious what happened to Old Glory? I saw that she used to be a member and I read a lot of post of hers that was helpful. She doesn't come on here anymore though.

1 minute ago, ShelleyF said:

I was just curious what happened to Old Glory? I saw that she used to be a member and I read a lot of post of hers that was helpful. She doesn't come on here anymore though.

Sadly, she passed a couple of years ago. 

• Sad 3

1 hour ago, ShelleyF said:

Hi Shelly,

She died so unexpectedly and a neighbor found her...Just horrible!

Trappeur

• Sad 3

39 minutes ago, Trappeur said:

Hi Shelly,

She died so unexpectedly and a neighbor found her...Just horrible!

Trappeur

That is horrible. TT had responded before you saw this and told me she sadly passed. she seems like she would have been on very nice lady and she was very knowledgeable. I've been reading a lot of posts and I found a lot by her this last couple months.

• Sad 2