Scents You've Given Up On

Tina J

4 hours ago, Faerywren said:

Yep. Cherry is another one! Every one I smell, I think Sucrets cough drops from my childhood or cheap lollipops!

Cherry is a hard one....CS I thought was good oob but major fuel when burning 

the best one I found really was AH cherry mist but I didn't carry it because it's more sweet cherry and I like tart....will continue the search one day 

This afternoon, I just got a plain Blueberry from Aztec. Out of the bottle, in hot wax, in cooling wax I have not smelled anything even remotely blueberry-like. I hope when they cool and cure a bit, this will improve.

(Almost all of the other scents in the package seem very pleasing - I don't want to malign them over one difficult scent. ).

17 hours ago, Moonstar said:

Have you tried Fillmore Lemon Biscotti - Its really good and Indianna has a good lemon ice box cookie 

Yes thanks, they aren't the same.  I still have over a pound so may have this one duped but it's really sad about the choco mint that I used it all up!

15 hours ago, WaxingPoetic said:

Those were both awesome scents, I loved that place :( The Andes was so spot on. The Candle Source has a chocolate mint, I think I will try it in the near future...I have rarely been disappointed with their oils 

I'm positive I tried it and it was not the same.  Have you ordered from The Candle Source recently?  My last order of true lavender was just not as good.  I think they may have either changed some formulas or has a different mfg making her scents now.  I'm almost afraid to order and I have the most scents from them.

57 minutes ago, kandlekrazy said:

I'm positive I tried it and it was not the same.  Have you ordered from The Candle Source recently?  My last order of true lavender was just not as good.  I think they may have either changed some formulas or has a different mfg making her scents now.  I'm almost afraid to order and I have the most scents from them.

No, I haven't order from them recently, & omg I hope they didn't change formulas, they are one of my fave suppliers :( 

i don't get why they would even do that, if it isn't broke, don't fix it ! 

Edited by WaxingPoetic

58 minutes ago, kandlekrazy said:

No, I haven't order from them recently, & omg I hope they didn't change formulas, they are one of my fave suppliers :( 

i don't get why they would even do that, if it isn't broke, don't fix it ! 

On 2/15/2017 at 5:06 AM, Moonstar said:

Most strawberry FO's Ive tried just don't cut it with me. Ive ordered the strawberry from Sweet Cakes and I liked it the least of the 3 strawberries that I ordered

samples of - to me it smelled plastic-y and cheap. But thats just my nose, you might find that you like it, I know many on this board use + like it.

I also have BC Strawberry Jam + I haven't used it in wax, its still in my cupboard lol ! OOB Im not getting that sweet strawberry smell I was hoping for since 

it;s called jam, but that might change once in wax ? I also have WSP sun ripened strawberry , I think thats what it;s called, I liked that the best of my 3 samples.

I do like CS Strawberry shortcake. Over the summer me + my grandkids made some bath fizzles that I mixed CandleWic Baking Cupcakes with the WSP 

strawberry + some of the CS SSC ... it was pretty good. The chemistry store has some good Lebermuth FO's i liked. The Vanilla Butter is pretty good

as is their Mango Beachwood + Brazilian Mango ( Similar but slightly different) Their coconut cream is good  too but never used in candles.Tahitian Vanilla 

is good from Sweet Cakes but again, never tried in candles just M+P .Theres something about that one that smells so good to me. 

I agree!  I dislike the Sweet Cakes Strawberry.  To me it is too sweet and not realistic.  Never tried the BCN or WSP, but sounds like I should try the WSP.  Out off all the samples I have tried I like the CS Strawberry Shortcake best, but it's still not quite what I want.  Early 2013 when I first started making candles RE had a Strawberry Jam on their clearance rack that I bought.  That was the best Strawberry I have ever found and I don't understand why they discontinued it.  I am still hoarding a few candles I made from it.  I have tried strawberry samples from every place I have ever ordered from, and none have measured up.  

The only strawberry I like so far is CS Strawberry Shortcake in candles. I tried a black cherry in candles once and it smelled like cat pee to me.

Have not found a good strawberry or coconut for CP. The closest I found to coconut for CP are Soapalooza's Hawaiian Sandalwood and EBB's Toasted Oats & Shea. The coconut notes on both these come through in the finished soap but both A&D. Especially the toasted oats & shea moves so fast I have to spoon hard glops into the mold. Then let it sit for 5-10 minutes until it heats up enough that the batter softens, then I can mash it into the mold. Both can be tamed but require work. Hawaiian Sandalwood rices and seperates so it has to be whipped into submission before you can pour into mold.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Moonstar said:

where are these from ? the lemon cheesecake sounds delish lol ! 

They are enchanted lites scents.  You can get them from candlesoylutions or americansoyorganics     

I have been using them for years and love them.  The lemon cheesecake is probably my all time best seller. (and no this is not a paid advertisement, lol)

• Like 2

Kandlekrazy...i to loved berts lemon biscotti..I finally used my last.

But I have found Daystars Iced lemon biscotti...is very very close..

I now use it..

Also..Brambleberry, Clementine Cupcake..is also a good second..

They both throw really well in 415 soy..

Just so you know when you run out...

or if you are putting in a order from either, add in one of their samples and give it a try..

• Like 1

The trifecta of impossible scents:  strawberry, coconut, and chocolate.  I know some others would include gingerbread, pumpkin, and cherry.  If I could line up all of the samples of the aforementioned scents I have, I probably could circle the Earth at least once!

41 minutes ago, soshiegirl said:

The trifecta of impossible scents:  strawberry, coconut, and chocolate.  I know some others would include gingerbread, pumpkin, and cherry.  If I could line up all of the samples of the aforementioned scents I have, I probably could circle the Earth at least once!

Have you tried BB's chocolate, I wanna say its called dark rich chocolate ??? Its really good - to me it is anyhow. 

• Like 1

I am also looking for a true Honey and a good Gingerbread. 

For those of you looking for a blueberry, I like Candlewic's Wild Maine Blueberries & for Coconut I love WSP's Exotic Coconut. 

American Soy Organics Strawberry smells good OOB but I haven't got it in wax yet. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sandy511 said:

I am also looking for a true Honey and a good Gingerbread. 

For those of you looking for a blueberry, I like Candlewic's Wild Maine Blueberries & for Coconut I love WSP's Exotic Coconut. 

American Soy Organics Strawberry smells good OOB but I haven't got it in wax yet. 

FB has a honey FO that smells like the real thing to my nose and I like Peak's gingerbread cookies, NG's gingerbread and Aztec's spicy gingerbread. To me, NG's is the strongest.

• Like 1

On 2/16/2017 at 11:14 AM, Candybee said:

The only strawberry I like so far is CS Strawberry Shortcake in candles. I tried a black cherry in candles once and it smelled like cat pee to me.

Have not found a good strawberry or coconut for CP. The closest I found to coconut for CP are Soapalooza's Hawaiian Sandalwood and EBB's Toasted Oats & Shea. The coconut notes on both these come through in the finished soap but both A&D. Especially the toasted oats & shea moves so fast I have to spoon hard glops into the mold. Then let it sit for 5-10 minutes until it heats up enough that the batter softens, then I can mash it into the mold. Both can be tamed but require work. Hawaiian Sandalwood rices and seperates so it has to be whipped into submission before you can pour into mold.

I just soaped Soapalooza's Hawaiian Sandalwood tonight.  I had absolutely no ricing or separation on my batch at all.  Actually was slow tracing and I poured it into

the mold at a very thin trace.  I soaped around 110-120 or so,  heavy lard recipe, no colorant, used beer for the liquid.  I was expecting issues, after reading your post,

but I didn't have any.  I just got the oil today LOL.  I had to soap it immediately as my husband is waiting for his coconut soap ha.

• Like 1

On 2/15/2017 at 4:43 PM, Moonstar said:

Have you tried Fillmore Lemon Biscotti - Its really good and Indianna has a good lemon ice box cookie 

I took Moonstar's advice and got Fillmore Lemon Biscotti and it is wonderful and a great thrower in 464.  I now sell them in my line to shops.

Trappeur

• Like 1

Actually I haven't really given up on scents that I've been looking for.  They just fell to the back burner.  Coconut is one and campfire marshmallow and I know there are a few others.  When I see new ones come out I try them.  I just don't offer them to shops...so it's no biggy if I haven't found one I liked.

As far as strawberry goes, I can say Bittercreeks Strawberry Jam is awesome if you want that type.  I use 464

Now I just got from Flaming (my main supplier) sweet strawberry and I really really like.  Was a great thrower in 464.

This is a fairly new fragrance.  It's just a plain stawberry but sweet as the name implies.  I mixed chocolate with the strawberry for Valentines day and it was a hit.

Trappeur 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, debratant said:

I just soaped Soapalooza's Hawaiian Sandalwood tonight.  I had absolutely no ricing or separation on my batch at all.  Actually was slow tracing and I poured it into

the mold at a very thin trace.  I soaped around 110-120 or so,  heavy lard recipe, no colorant, used beer for the liquid.  I was expecting issues, after reading your post,

but I didn't have any.  I just got the oil today LOL.  I had to soap it immediately as my husband is waiting for his coconut soap ha.

i definitely got ricing using 1oz PPO in my recipe. No lard in mine either. Was OO, CO, PKO, Palm, Shea, Castor. But the ricing is workable if you continue to SBing to emulsify it back in. Then once I get it together I pour into the mold. The scent was light even at 1oz PPO but the coconut definitely comes through. No sandalwood notes whatsoever.