Scents You've Given Up On

Tina J

I have a hard time finding a nice honey scent, that is not too floral.  I've tried the SC honey, and Peaks, but they all have a strong floral note that I just can't get past.  I love the coconut milk from MMS, it is very strong in lotion, but haven't tried it yet in wax.

4 hours ago, Trappeur said:

Now I just got from Flaming (my main supplier) sweet strawberry and I really really like.  Was a great thrower in 464.

This is a fairly new fragrance.  It's just a plain stawberry but sweet as the name implies.

Flaming is a supplier I have bought from and likely will buy from again, so I'll probably give that one a try.

One of the good things about knowing which categories of scents are elusive, is people like me who simply do not want to, or cannot ($$$) order from many companies to chase a particular scent are spared the expense of buying something that is less likely to work out.  I am very grateful for the knowledge that has been shared in this thread.

Trappeur, when you say 'sweet', I guess I'm not sure what that means in terms of sense of smell. 

Edited by Incendia

On 2/22/2017 at 3:54 PM, Incendia said:

Flaming is a supplier I have bought from and likely will buy from again, so I'll probably give that one a try.

One of the good things about knowing which categories of scents are elusive, is people like me who simply do not want to, or cannot ($$$) order from many companies to chase a particular scent are spared the expense of buying something that is less likely to work out.  I am very grateful for the knowledge that has been shared in this thread.

Trappeur, when you say 'sweet', I guess I'm not sure what that means in terms of sense of smell. 

I have that one too and Trap's right, it smells sweet to my nose too. I haven't put it in wax yet but I had bought a sample of it and liked it so much that I ordered a pound of it. I might change my mind after I get it in wax though LOL!

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Belinda said:

I have that one too and Trap's right, it smells sweet to my nose too. I haven't put it in wax yet but I had bought a sample of it and liked it so much that I ordered a pound of it. I might change my mind after I get it in wax though LOL!

LOL... you must have an entire room devoted to FOs. Over various threads, I've been very impressed by how many you have.

On 2/22/2017 at 4:54 PM, Incendia said:

You know how when you bite into a strawberry and it can be tart or not ripe enough or just a ripe juicy "sweet" flavor?  Well that's what I mean, if you can understand what I mean?

Trappeur

• Like 1

On 2/18/2017 at 2:43 PM, sandy511 said:

I am also looking for a true Honey and a good Gingerbread. 

For those of you looking for a blueberry, I like Candlewic's Wild Maine Blueberries & for Coconut I love WSP's Exotic Coconut. 

American Soy Organics Strawberry smells good OOB but I haven't got it in wax yet. 

Talking about Blueberry.....well aahhhh Bittercreek has the best in my opinion of Blueberry Muffin.....Like its right out of the overn.

Trappeur

• Like 1

For those of you looking for a blueberry, I like Candlewic's Wild Maine Blueberries & for Coconut I love WSP's Exotic Coconut. 

American Soy Organics Strawberry smells good OOB but I haven't got it in wax yet. 

Get a sample of Honey Gingerbread from Backwoods....It's awesome!

Trappeur

2 hours ago, Trappeur said:

You know how when you bite into a strawberry and it can be tart or not ripe enough or just a ripe juicy "sweet" flavor?  Well that's what I mean, if you can understand what I mean?

Trappeur

Yes, I do understand. :) Thanks.

I think because the senses of taste and smell are so intertwined, there are automatic associations with certain scents. I don't think we actually smell 'sweet', but we smell the scent associated with ripe berries and other fruits, and think 'sweet'. Some of the bakery scents too perhaps.

I made some testers of a strawberry/rhubarb FO the other day, and it did not seem sweet to me at all. The rhubarb, which was very close to actual uncooked rhubarb, is anything but sweet in real life - quite the opposite. So even though strawberries were present, they were over-powered by the very tangy, mouth-puckering, tongue-numbing, spine-chilling raw rhubarb. (Not sure why I thought rhubarb would make a pleasant candle, lol. Though strawb/rhubarb, cooked, makes a really good jam.) (add another little bottle to the 'not' pile)

On 2/22/2017 at 3:37 PM, se2653 said:

I have a hard time finding a nice honey scent, that is not too floral.  I've tried the SC honey, and Peaks, but they all have a strong floral note that I just can't get past.  I love the coconut milk from MMS, it is very strong in lotion, but haven't tried it yet in wax.

when you use it in lotion do you need to add a vanilla stabilizer to prevent the lotion from turning a tannish color ? Most coconuts smell plasticky or fake to me :( 

Im wondering if lotion bases turn tan/brown with FO's like coconut - pink sugar etc quicker than say made from scratch ? Ive only tried WSP Goat milk lotion 

On 2/22/2017 at 0:55 PM, Trappeur said:

Actually I haven't really given up on scents that I've been looking for.  They just fell to the back burner.  Coconut is one and campfire marshmallow and I know there are a few others.  When I see new ones come out I try them.  I just don't offer them to shops...so it's no biggy if I haven't found one I liked.

As far as strawberry goes, I can say Bittercreeks Strawberry Jam is awesome if you want that type.  I use 464

Now I just got from Flaming (my main supplier) sweet strawberry and I really really like.  Was a great thrower in 464.

This is a fairly new fragrance.  It's just a plain stawberry but sweet as the name implies.  I mixed chocolate with the strawberry for Valentines day and it was a hit.

Trappeur 

I am highly intrigued by your Sweet Strawberry suggestion. I have WSP's Sweet Strawberry and it is my HG, but now I have the urge to try this !

How are their oils, usually ? I recently made a couple of orders at Flaming but only for wicks, wax and wick bars so far, but I am super impressed with them and they ship right away, which I love !

Flamings oils are just like everyone elses.....you have hits and misses here and there but for the most I have excellent results from most I order, but of course you have to test them all.  Flaming is a 1 day delivery to me.  I order today and tomorrow I have as they are close to me.  Been ordering for years since they first opened.  I get all my wicks, 464 wax, oils and status jars and tins and lids from them.  A 50pound case of wax and 5 cases tins and like 5 pounds oil usually runs me like $25.00.  You can't beat that. They have quite a list of oils to pick from so I'm always getting the free samples with my orders as well as ordering samples. As far as the quality of oils....I really don't find them weak at all.  Of course you have to test the oils with your wax to see if it is compatable and some are super strong and then some just have a natural light throw.  You just have to test them.   Great customer service also.  At times I have received in the past some tins that came in damaged.  They sent out new ones immediately and since then they double box everything.  I have a nice list of great oils that I order regular every week as I sell wholesale.  So all in all, great company they are to me.

You mentioned the strawberry?  I'd get some and test it.  What wax are you using Poetic?  I liked it so much I ordered a big bottle of it.  

Trappeur

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Trappeur said:

Flamings oils are just like everyone elses.....you have hits and misses here and there but for the most I have excellent results from most I order, but of course you have to test them all.  Flaming is a 1 day delivery to me.  I order today and tomorrow I have as they are close to me.  Been ordering for years since they first opened.  I get all my wicks, 464 wax, oils and status jars and tins and lids from them.  A 50pound case of wax and 5 cases tins and like 5 pounds oil usually runs me like $25.00.  You can't beat that. They have quite a list of oils to pick from so I'm always getting the free samples with my orders as well as ordering samples. As far as the quality of oils....I really don't find them weak at all.  Of course you have to test the oils with your wax to see if it is compatable and some are super strong and then some just have a natural light throw.  You just have to test them.   Great customer service also.  At times I have received in the past some tins that came in damaged.  They sent out new ones immediately and since then they double box everything.  I have a nice list of great oils that I order regular every week as I sell wholesale.  So all in all, great company they are to me.

You mentioned the strawberry?  I'd get some and test it.  What wax are you using Poetic?  I liked it so much I ordered a big bottle of it.  

Trappeur

Sounds awesome, my next order there, I will be sure to add that oil, thank you ! I usually use glass glow palm, but I actually just ordered 20 pounds of the 464, I want to start soy, because I love it in melts ( I have an ecosoya blend for those ) 

i also bought a good bit of the CD wicks from them 

Edited by WaxingPoetic

I really like Maple Street Candle's Gingerbread.  No sharp or bitter notes only sweet gingerbread.  I love it!

VANILLA THAT ISN'T BUTTERY OR ARTIFICIAL!

(Sorry. I needed to yell that.) I simply cannot find one.I want something that smells like a real vanilla bean pod- not ice cream or cake or butterscotch or cheap, pre-teen perfume from Justice- but actual vanilla. 

2 hours ago, WaxingPoetic said:

I second the Vanilla Voodoo suggestion. It is unlike any other Vanilla I've ever tried...I'm kind of addicted to it, actually...sometimes I just take out the bottle just to sit there & inhale it, lol

lol, I've done that too.....

Trappeur

• Like 1

Moonstar, I don't use vanilla stabilizer in my lotion, and the coconut milk fo does not make it turn brown.  I use a lot of vanilla scents, they are my favorite, and have not had much of an issue with discoloration with lotion.  I do however notice it with melt and pour soap, it will turn tan/brown with some fo's, just haven't tested using the vanilla stabilizer yet, but maybe I should.  I'm just making these for me and family/friends, not selling, and I don't mind the discoloration.  

Well I've given up on a few scents. There was a company that carried strictly soaping scents like 10 years ago and they went out of business. I can't even remember the name of the fragrance (unfortunately) but it was a wonderful blend that included sandalwood ... very mellow fragrance that we couldn't keep in stock but then boom the business was no longer. The company was Old Timer & Lily though. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/15/2017 at 8:50 PM, WaxingPoetic said:

Oh you guys should definitely try Red Banana ! To me, it smells a teensy bit odd oob ( good, but odd ) but in wax, it smells like sweet, ripe, true banana :)

On 2/15/2017 at 8:50 PM, WaxingPoetic said:

Oh you guys should definitely try Red Banana ! To me, it smells a teensy bit odd oob ( good, but odd ) but in wax, it smells like sweet, ripe, true banana :)

Is the banana similar to the Daphy Nut Bread (Candle Cocoon)?   I didn't like that one but I would love to find a good banana!