Scents You've Given Up On

Tina J

3 minutes ago, moonshine said:

Have you tried SC Strawberry?

also not exactly straight strawberry but BCN strawberry jam is pretty darn good and realistic considering I don't like many of their oils 

Adding to my list to try. Thanks for the suggestion!

SC -- Sweet Cakes, right?

Edited by PhoenixFyre
Added more to my comment
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Tina J said:

For me, I've decided I will never find the perfect strawberry, coconut, or banana.

I've hardly begun looking, but it's helpful to know the fragrances that are more difficult. There are so many really nice ones 'out there', I'd rather not chase some of the more known elusive ones.

I've purchased one coconut, and found it rather weak and 'soapy'. Someone on that thread mentioned it was a difficult scent, so, at this time, I've decided to try other things instead. I did not know both strawberry or banana might be on that list too. I think I've got a strawberry sample coming in Thursday. 

I wasn't going to try any sort of banana because I no longer eat them - and I do miss them. No reason to needlessly torture myself, lol.

• Like 1

Most strawberry FO's Ive tried just don't cut it with me. Ive ordered the strawberry from Sweet Cakes and I liked it the least of the 3 strawberries that I ordered

samples of - to me it smelled plastic-y and cheap. But thats just my nose, you might find that you like it, I know many on this board use + like it.

I also have BC Strawberry Jam + I haven't used it in wax, its still in my cupboard lol ! OOB Im not getting that sweet strawberry smell I was hoping for since 

it;s called jam, but that might change once in wax ? I also have WSP sun ripened strawberry , I think thats what it;s called, I liked that the best of my 3 samples.

I do like CS Strawberry shortcake. Over the summer me + my grandkids made some bath fizzles that I mixed CandleWic Baking Cupcakes with the WSP 

strawberry + some of the CS SSC ... it was pretty good. The chemistry store has some good Lebermuth FO's i liked. The Vanilla Butter is pretty good

as is their Mango Beachwood + Brazilian Mango ( Similar but slightly different) Their coconut cream is good  too but never used in candles.Tahitian Vanilla 

is good from Sweet Cakes but again, never tried in candles just M+P .Theres something about that one that smells so good to me. 

I gave up looking for a good chocolate mint and lemon biscotti (I still have lots of this one).  These were Bert's scents that I haven't been able to find a good replacement for so finally gave up after spending hundreds on testing others.  I also gave up on coconut.  I use it as a mixer but never found one that was strong enough to even smell on it's own.

• Like 1

I have nothing else to do but give up when I have tried the same scent from 12 suppliers and none work in my wax, so yes! If a supplier comes out with a new one of my "given up" scents I will try it but sometimes all reasonable options are eliminated.

For me-all blueberry scents smell fake in my wax blend. I also cannot find a blackberry (not blackberry sage or other) that has longevity in my wax blend and all coffee scents small skunky in my wax blend. To spare my making myself more obsessed and crazed, I have shelved the idea of these 3.

I carry over 100 scents year round so there is still plenty for my customers to choose without these!

• Like 1

Coconut is one of the holy grail scents. Hardly any work in cold process soap, so it is a never ending quest.

if you are aiming for the green notes of a fresh coconut from the tree, natures garden Cabana Coconut is a good one. Blended with other ones, like southern soapers Hawaiian Sandalwood (which oddly smells spot on to coconut when in soap), you can cover a lot of coconut note bases.

Strawberry... most are so yuk, like Bonnie bell strawberry chap stick used to taste. Not fresh off the plant ripened in the sunshine. I have not found any tha work well in soap without discoloring and morphing badly. In candles they all have the same aromachemical component that give me an almost instant headache. Total bummer because I love strawberries. 

Strawberry Milkshake by NG is not bad. It smells like a milkshake. Discolor in soap, but smooths out the rough edges of the fake strawberry with cream.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, justajesuschick said:

For me-all blueberry scents smell fake in my wax blend. I also cannot find a blackberry (not blackberry sage or other) that has longevity in my wax blend...

Sorry to hear this. I think I have 2 plain blueberries coming in. (I have one blueberry cobbler, but I don't much like 'Bakery') I'd love to find a good, simple blueberry since I grow them. But that's another obsession - a normal household does not need 50+ BB plants, lol. But then, what does 'need' have to do with it?

I'd also like to find a good blackberry, but haven't started looking yet.

Caribbean Coconut from WSP is a decent one. I use it as a blender, so can't say how it works solo. Every strawberry, blueberry and raspberry scent I've tried has been a disappointment. Sure, if I wanted to make candles or soap that smelled like kid's cough medicine, I'd be set. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, kandlekrazy said:

I gave up looking for a good chocolate mint and lemon biscotti (I still have lots of this one).  These were Bert's scents that I haven't been able to find a good replacement for so finally gave up after spending hundreds on testing others.  I also gave up on coconut.  I use it as a mixer but never found one that was strong enough to even smell on it's own.

Have you tried Fillmore Lemon Biscotti - Its really good and Indianna has a good lemon ice box cookie 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Incendia said:

Sorry to hear this. I think I have 2 plain blueberries coming in. (I have one blueberry cobbler, but I don't much like 'Bakery') I'd love to find a good, simple blueberry since I grow them. But that's another obsession - a normal household does not need 50+ BB plants, lol. But then, what does 'need' have to do with it?

I'd also like to find a good blackberry, but haven't started looking yet.

Try Sweet Cakes Blackberry - its pretty good but not super strong. Ive used it in melt n pour - lotion and bath fizzles.

5 hours ago, TallTayl said:

Coconut is one of the holy grail scents. Hardly any work in cold process soap, so it is a never ending quest.

if you are aiming for the green notes of a fresh coconut from the tree, natures garden Cabana Coconut is a good one. Blended with other ones, like southern soapers Hawaiian Sandalwood (which oddly smells spot on to coconut when in soap), you can cover a lot of coconut note bases.

Strawberry... most are so yuk, like Bonnie bell strawberry chap stick used to taste. Not fresh off the plant ripened in the sunshine. I have not found any tha work well in soap without discoloring and morphing badly. In candles they all have the same aromachemical component that give me an almost instant headache. Total bummer because I love strawberries. 

Strawberry Milkshake by NG is not bad. It smells like a milkshake. Discolor in soap, but smooths out the rough edges of the fake strawberry with cream.

Lebermuth has a pretty good Strawberry Milkshake too. They don't have it listed for candles - mostly bath n body 

8 minutes ago, Faerywren said:

Sure, if I wanted to make candles or soap that smelled like kid's cough medicine, I'd be set. 

Lol! That was my latest experience with a cherry FO. That's another scent I can't find. The last one I got was Black Cherry Bomb from Natures Garden. I got it because a YouTube soaper whom I love did a video making soap with it and mentioned how great it smelled and how her whole work area smelled of cherries. The description on it is that it's a tart black cherry. Sounded good. Poured it in wax. First time I lit the candle, everyone in my house immediately said it smelled like cough syrup. Ugh.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PhoenixFyre said:

Lol! That was my latest experience with a cherry FO. That's another scent I can't find. The last one I got was Black Cherry Bomb from Natures Garden. I got it because a YouTube soaper whom I love did a video making soap with it and mentioned how great it smelled and how her whole work area smelled of cherries. The description on it is that it's a tart black cherry. Sounded good. Poured it in wax. First time I lit the candle, everyone in my house immediately said it smelled like cough syrup. Ugh.

Yep. Cherry is another one! Every one I smell, I think Sucrets cough drops from my childhood or cheap lollipops!

Edited by Faerywren
  • Like 1

I am super picky about strawberry, & my HG is WSP Sweet Strawberry. It is supposed to be a YC dupe of theirs, but I think WSP does it much better. 

I mean, you may hate it, cause everyone's different, of course ! But it is the only strawberry I use.

have you tried CC Red Banana ? Loooove that one ! I am with you on the coconut. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, kandlekrazy said:

Those were both awesome scents, I loved that place :( The Andes was so spot on. The Candle Source has a chocolate mint, I think I will try it in the near future...I have rarely been disappointed with their oils 

I have always read that Candle Cocoons Red Banana was Awesome, but I never tried.  I like all of her oils though that I did order.

I still have to order that Hawaiian Sandalwood from Soapalooza....it's on my list to get because my husband loves coconut scented

soap and I've not found one that works.