Absolute WORST smelling FO's you've ever used

GailC

8 minutes ago, grama said:

Well I pour Nag Champa and Patchouli, they not my favorites but I can handle them.  The very worse I have ever smelled and poured is Natures Garden Leather Jacket.  I had a wholesale account that liked it.  Thank goodness she has stopped ordering it.

Oh I bet @Belinda would love Leather Jacket.  :D

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Candybee said:

Can't forget those FOs that go bad. Had some very vanilla go bad on me once. Yuck! Smelled so bad I have not bought very vanilla since and that was years ago! Now I use french vanilla or vanilla lace or any vanilla but very vanilla!!

Oh that's a shame...because Very Vanilla is so nice I think.

Kind of the same as to this day, I don't eat onion rings because that was the first thing I threw up when I was pregnant with my second baby.  :)  

Rose jam ... of any kind. I think all of them failed straight up on that fragrance. I think that's probably the only worst smell I've encountered, but I love the incense-y stuff from Jasmine Frangipani to patchouli. I'd like to find a better Sandalwood. I may be forever in pursuit of it, but not a big deal. 

I don't like pouring leather at all so when I do I make a ton of it to get it out of the way. However, DayStar used to have a fragrance with leather in it called Good Looking Cowboy that I didn't mind so much but that has been discontinued for years. 

2 minutes ago, barbaranj said:

Years ago, my husband asked for a beer scent. I don’t remember where I got it, but it smelled like the carpeted floor of a stinky old bar.

Never let him light it. 

I remember I was in a shop in my town and they were selling locally made candles and one of the scents was beer - YUCK ! I don't understand who would

like all of these weird scents. I just don't get it. The only one I liked from that candle company was Rootbeer, it was actually not bad + smelled so realistic. 

19 minutes ago, Belinda said:

LOL! Not me but my customers down here in Texas would! I don't get it at all! Especially not when you can have a sugar cookie or banana nut bread scent going!

I was kidding, because I know you have to make leather scents for all those Texans down there.  :)

• Like 1

I love drinking coffee so my first FO was fresh coffee and I mixed it with amaretto nog. It ended up stinking so bad. I packed finished testers in a box and in a spare room closet and my wife still complained. I ended up scraping it all into the trash. Days later before trash pickup you could smell it in the backyard. I guess it got nice and toasty in the hot trash can. I never burned one because the CT was so off putting. I did keep one lidded jar for sentimental reasons. I pull off the lid every now and then. I really want to try another coffee FO sometime. 

• Like 1

EBB Exotic Amazon Teakwood

EBB Hollyberry

CS Whiskey - I'm not a fan of whiskey and I'm definitely not a fan of this FO. Gag-worthy.

CS Montego Bay - Cringe. That's all I can do when I smell this. No wonder they don't carry it now.

CS Mango and Tangerine

Peak Gardenia - My gardenia bushes do -not- smell like this. It's so strong, piercing, and noxious.

Peak Sweet Mango Delight

Mango scents in general  - If you could split the scents of garbage, spoiled poultry and/or vomit into their individual scent components, mango would be one of them. Bleh!

Peak Mary Jane - It's as if someone slipped a bit of skunkweed into a floral arrangement.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, GailC said:

@Scented, Good Looking Cowboy is a great name for a fragrance!

A few women thought so lol! It was a mix of leather and something and it's that something that I think might have been like cool water (doubtful) but it was a popular man's fragrance that leather was combined with at the time ... what, I don't really know. 

9 hours ago, Dorothy Mantooth said:

I love drinking coffee so my first FO was fresh coffee and I mixed it with amaretto nog. It ended up stinking so bad. I packed finished testers in a box and in a spare room closet and my wife still complained. I ended up scraping it all into the trash. Days later before trash pickup you could smell it in the backyard. I guess it got nice and toasty in the hot trash can. I never burned one because the CT was so off putting. I did keep one lidded jar for sentimental reasons. I pull off the lid every now and then. I really want to try another coffee FO sometime. 

If you get brave enough to try another coffee, you should try Spiced Pumpkin Latte from Rustic Escentuals.  The predominate scent is coffee, and I just love it personally.  I also like Mountain Hazelnut Coffee from Nature's Garden.

But I think I give up trying to find a good plain old coffee FO.

• Like 1

@Kerven, why don't you tell us how you really feel about Mango?  :)  Quite descriptive and off putting.  :)

But I like Mango!  Mango Papaya, and one of my new favorites from this past summer is Coco Mango from Nature's Garden.

I really don't care for any floral scents, but I have a customer who loves Peak's Gardenia.  

Isn't it interesting how different people's sense of smell is?  Like taste.  For instance, there actually are people in this world who like turnips.  :)

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, ellajoan said:

My worst was a recent attempt  RE's Winter Wishes.  It smelled like barf on a tree.  No one who smelled it could stomach it.  Truly awful.  

I got a sample of Winter Wishes, and I just sniffed it again.  I think it smells quite nice OOB.  Don't know if I like it well enough to order a large bottle though.  I have so many other Christmas fragrances I like better.

Does it smell worse once you put it in wax or soap or whatever you make than it does OOB?

My worst pics would be:

RE Citrus Cilantro, smells like body odor.  They have it on the discontinued section and still can't get rid of it.

RE Lemon Meringue Pie, was discontinued.  So gross I had to throw out the candle I made with it and brought the rest of the 16 oz bottle I stupidly bought without smelling first to the dump.

CS Pumpkin Souffle, I know it 's popular, I hate it

CS Fruit Slices

CS Grapefruit Mangosteen

CS Mango & Tangerine, all i smell is rotten fruit

Peak Lemon Pound Cake, has a weird tone to it, like dirty socks

Natures Garden Cucumber & Aloe

Nature's Garden Coconut Lime Verbena

Nature's Garden Fresh Coffee

I know I have come across plenty more "stinkers", but these are what came to mind.

@GailCI like mango as fruit, but the mango FO's that I've tried (and some I've smelled in stores)... are just foul. A bright, cloying sweetness covering up a rancidity which lurks in the background. That's the best description I can come up with. Some say one bad apple doesn't necessarily ruin the bunch, but after trying Peak's Sweet Mango Delight I have to disagree. If I'm out smelling candles somewhere and see one that's mango scented, I have to skip it.

I will admit that I once caught a whiff of a mango scent that was fairly nice. I didn't get the scent name but it smelled like... mango, apples, maybe pineapple, something creamy in the base, and a hint of something "green" and herbal. It didn't have that unpleasant rancid note but did have that bright sweetness.

I looked at the description for Coco Mango. It sounds tempting, but... the mango. I just can't get over it.

I too have someone who loves Peak's Gardenia. It has a very strong cold and hot throw. However, it smells too much like lilies to me and I'm not a fan of lilies' fragrance. My gardenia bushes have a rich, buttery, floral sweetness with a slight hint of musk that almost borders on cloying. Not a piercing floral that smells as though it could strip paint OOB or be used as a sanitizer.

I like turnips! I loathe radishes, except prepared horseradish. Cilantro is another one of those things that people either like or dislike with a passion.

• Like 1

Just thought of some others I have tried that gag me:

Peaks Wild Mountain Honey

CS Honeycomb

FC Avocado & Cilantro

Don't get me wrong. I love a good honey. The operative word being a G O O D honey. The best was Bacci de Miele from Old Mill that went out of business years ago. Tony's/Southern Gardens took over their FOs and latter became Pure Fragrance Oils. PFO discontinued it because I can no longer find it. So now I use Honey L Occitane from Elements. Its the closest I can find to the old Bacci de Miele. Gawd I miss that fragrance!!!

On 9/27/2017 at 8:16 AM, Moonstar said:

CS Oakmoss + Amber . OMG it stunk up my house for days . I swear I could even taste it in my mouth and the smell was everywhere. I know many love that scent 

but not me. Im like you Gail, no patchouli or incense scents for me either. 

That's one of my best sellers! How funny - it smells so mild to me. 

• Haha 1