Bunny's Bath Melts

wildangel112

The clamshells hold a total of about 3-3.5 oz. Each cavity is about 1/2 ounce. I cannot recall how hard these turn out, but if they are real firm I think it would work. Maybe I'll have to whip up a batch to see!

I made them long ago with amber FO. In combo with the cocoa butter it was just too rich for me!

Ok....I'm new to b&b but wanted to try some of these for Christmas gifts. Please if someone can answer these questions, I'd be most grateful.

1) If I use a silicone mold.....do I let them completely dry/cool in the silicone mold.....for how long....hours days weeks?

2) I believe I can color the mixture with skin safe mica's.....when do I add this...before the citric? Can I use soap color liquid as well, or is it best to stick with the mica?

Thanks!!

Darla

You should put them in the freezer for 20 min. then remove from freezer and let sit in the mold until back to room temp. If you take them out right away the citric will react to the moisture from them sweating. I would add the mica before adding the citric. Maybe add it to one of the other dry ingredients before adding to the cocoa butter.

*sigh* OK, am I the only person who had problems? I used shea butter, melted, measured and mixed everything else, let it cool until warm to the touch, added the citric, stirred like crazy, and...ended up with a bowl of gluey goo that wasn't anywhere near pourable. :( Did I let things cool too much? Not stir fast enough? What? I spooned some into lined molds and put them in the freezer, but I don't expect great results.

On the bright side, I learned that I don't like my Chocolate Silk Frappucino as much as I thought I did while it was still in the bottle, so at least the experience wasn't a complete waste.

I'll try again, I'd just like to know what I might have done wrong.

*sigh* OK, am I the only person who had problems? I used shea butter, melted, measured and mixed everything else, let it cool until warm to the touch, added the citric, stirred like crazy, and...ended up with a bowl of gluey goo that wasn't anywhere near pourable. :( Did I let things cool too much? Not stir fast enough? What? I spooned some into lined molds and put them in the freezer, but I don't expect great results.

On the bright side, I learned that I don't like my Chocolate Silk Frappucino as much as I thought I did while it was still in the bottle, so at least the experience wasn't a complete waste.

I'll try again, I'd just like to know what I might have done wrong.

I stir mine with a whisk in a measuring cup. The pour spout helps to get them poured into little molds.

I used a measuring cup, but the consistency was such that there was no way to pour what I ended up with. It was like paste. I'll try the whisk next time, see if that lets me get things mixed up fast enough to pour. I checked the ones I did put into molds this morning, and the texture is all grainy. Back to the drawing board for me, I reckon!

bunkie68. I make these and love them. When I first started making them, mine did the same as yours did. Try letting the cocoa butter mixture cool completely down, but not solid, before adding the citric acid. If the mixture is to warm, the citric acid will react.

Someone asked if you had to put them in the freezer. The answer is no. I've used both methods. I prefer the way the tops look when I allow them to harden at room temperature. Try both ways and see which one you prefer.

Using .5 oz. is probably good for a standard tub, but mine are slightly larger. Whenever you use an oily product in the tub, you have to be careful of slipping. The reason for not using an excessive amount is to avoid an oily mess.

Ok..this is really a stupid question I know, but what should the texture of the melts be? Pictures I have seen of them look really smooth, almost like candy. Mine are more like bath bombs. I used shea instead of cocoa because I didn't have cocoa butter on hand. When I melted the shea, added baking soda and cornstarch and mixed that well, I added FO, color then citric acid. I got the citric acid reaction and it was pretty much just a gloppy mess. I packed in into my molds (sort of:confused: ) and now that they have sit it the freezer 20 min. they look just like bath bombs. Maybe that's what they should look like and I just was expecting something else. Thanks for any input. This sounded so easy :(

This seems like so much fun that now you have me wanting to try this recipe! I've never made any B&B products, but this looks like a good place to start since the supplies will not cost a fortune and I already have some EO's to try with...I think they would make such nice Christmas gifts.

I love this recipe. Granite I have only tried it once. I love it. And the 1/2 oz. size is perfect. I do however need to make a batch in a manly scent. My son has terribly dry skin. And these work great. I am however having trouble finding the perfect mold for these.

Kelly

I used some of my fortune cookie candy molds and they are great however I only have 2 and they only have 9 cookies in each of them.

Thanks!! I think different shapes would be nice anyway...I think I have enough total molds to make a batch...if not I have those little muffin tins and the silver foil cups to line them with, they looked really cute in the pic!

Oh, I can't wait to try these...I think my DH is gonna divorce me...another project in the kitchen! :rolleyes2