Bunny's Bath Melts

wildangel112

These little gems have kept me so busy since I started making them. Everyone who tries them has given rave reviews. Thanks so much to bunny for a wonderful recipe!!

Bunny's Bath Melts

8 oz. cocoa butter (the smelly one)

1 1/2 cups baking soda

1/3 cup corn starch

1-2 tbsp. cocoa powder (if you want it brown)

1 cup citric acid

Melt cocoa butter. When it's melted, add baking soda, corn starch, and if a dark chocolate melt is wanted, add cocoa powder. If not, leave as is. After everything is completely mixed and molds are ready, cool until pot is just warm to the touch, but still liquid. Add citric acid and stir like mad! Pour quickly into lined molds, then in the freezer for about 20 minutes. Have held up very well in warm weather.

*Note: When you make it, if you want to add fo, rather than chocolate scent, use deodorized cocoa butter and add 1 tbsp. body safe fo.

• Like 1

I'm so excited made my first melts that turned out good last week- Warm Vanilla Sugar. I only kept in the freezer for 10 minutes (as I've been having problems w/ crunches). So they took 3 days to harden total up and I set one at my computer to watch it periodically. There were so many times I wanted to take a bite out of it, it smelled so good. So After a few days I took it for a swim (in my tub before I ate it :D ). I just love how silky I felt. YEH!! I finally conquered the crunches :)

I've been working on tweaking this recipe by taking out the cocoa butter and subbing other butters. I tried this with sal butter and it wasn't too bad. It was slow to melt and when I would pick up the melt, it would leave some of the butter in the tub that looked like whipped cream (it did eventually all melt) but I loved how my skin felt afterwards. And it didn't leave as much of an oil ring around the tub.

These little gems have kept me so busy since I started making them. Everyone who tries them has given rave reviews. Thanks so much to bunny for a wonderful recipe!!

Bunny's Bath Melts

8 oz. cocoa butter (the smelly one)

1 1/2 cups baking soda

1/3 cup corn starch

1-2 tbsp. cocoa powder (if you want it brown)

1 cup citric acid

Melt cocoa butter. When it's melted, add baking soda, corn starch, and if a dark chocolate melt is wanted, add cocoa powder. If not, leave as is. After everything is completely mixed and molds are ready, cool until pot is just warm to the touch, but still liquid. Add citric acid and stir like mad! Pour quickly into lined molds, then in the freezer for about 20 minutes. Have held up very well in warm weather.

*Note: When you make it, if you want to add fo, rather than chocolate scent, use deodorized cocoa butter and add 1 tbsp. body safe fo.

How many lined molds do I need to have ready for this recipe? This is gonna be fun, but I don't want to mess up my first batch.

TIA

In the old post I think I remember seeing that you want to use the tiny muffin mold type (holds 24) not the regular cupcake mold (that holds 12). You don't want big melts or you'll be too greasy. I fill the muffin tins 3/4 full and IMO that's just right :D With this recipe you fill almost all the cavities. To be sure you can line them all and take out what you don't use when your done. HTH :)

• 3 weeks later...

When I made mine I used the mini muffin tins but I also used the mini muffin tin liners. The ones I got have the paper and there is a second "layer" that is tin foil. I took the them apart and just used the foil part. When you are ready to use the melt just peel the foil off like a boxed chocolate. I made mine in Peaks Vanilla Mint!

I have some of those liners, I got from a candle supply co they use for tarts, and I just ordered more for the some purpose you use them. I also ordered the tealight size clear boxes from the recent co-op and thought I would alternate melt-tealight in the box as they are the same size (and using the same FO so the smells wouldn't "fight" each other). Just an idea not sure if it'll work can't wait to get boxes and try.

I was wondering if anyone has tried to put these in the refrig to keep longer till they sell. I have been experimenting, the ones I made a month ago I stuck in the refrig for a day and took back out for a few days in room temp and they didn't get crunchy on top. So I put them back in refrig (just 2) for alittle longer and will take back out again. I thought once they set up for a good week to maintain the cocoa butter I'd store in the frig till I sell them. Any suggestions and comments on this. ALSO does anyone put a preservative in the melts? I need to start using them in my B&B products but am intimidated w/ putting chemicals in them - I know that sounds silly as the FO's & dyes are chemicals. Guess I don't really understand the percentages and don't want to put the wrong amount in.

I've been working on tweaking this recipe by taking out the cocoa butter and subbing other butters. I tried this with sal butter and it wasn't too bad. It was slow to melt and when I would pick up the melt, it would leave some of the butter in the tub that looked like whipped cream (it did eventually all melt) but I loved how my skin felt afterwards. And it didn't leave as much of an oil ring around the tub.

These sound mavelous can't wait to try them:smiley2: . Has anyone tried shea or mango butter? That's what I have available now...no cocoa butter:cry2:.

Mary Lou

Maryann, no preservatives are needed in this one, only because there in no water in the actual product, and they are one use items. You would use a preservative only if there was a chance of introducing water to the product that would be used more than once. HTH!

I've never done the shea or other butters.. Give it a shot!

I agree with Bunny. Give it a shot. Experimenting IMO is all part of the fun. I have had my fair share of flops but I learn so much from them. Next, I want to try this with mango and Kokum. I just haven't had the time yet. All those that have tested these just love them.

Little colored foils.. Makes them look like mini-reeses pb cups! 6 to a cello bag with a fold over paper top to hang..

Cool!! I like that idea. I am assuming that i can get these foils at papermart, nashville wraps, etc....Will check it out. Thanks so much.

• 2 weeks later...

Why not use the clamshell? Break and bathe. Am i funny. Its just an idea

I love, love, love this recipe. Thanks bunny. I have made a couple of batches and given them out to friends and family who also love them. I just don't know how to package them. How do you all package these?

The clamshell.. I think that would be too much "stuff" in each one if you poured it high enough to keep the breakaway thing working.. Did that make sense? Too much of these babies are NOT a good thing..lol

Trying it though is the only way you'll know for sure!