Bunny's Bath Melts

wildangel112

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the wonderful recipe! I just tried them for the first time and they really are wonderful. Just to check - when the recipe says 1 cup citric acid - is that 250g or ML? I did mine in ML but at the picture tutorial it looks like grams?

TIA!

Katinka:cheesy2:

• 3 months later...

Bunny, thanks for sharing this. I just made a batch today & they are wonderful! I waited until the mixture was really luke warm but I still didn't get a huge fizz :confused: , but the butter & scent dispersed nicely & filled my bathroom & me w/ some awesome Tony's Lilac:yay:

I used 8oz melted cocoa butter. Was it supposed to be 8oz solid, before melting?

Oh, I stuck these babies in the freezer for 20 mins...not good (for me anyway) they started sweating (but no fizzing sound) The next time, I think I'll just put them in the cool basement & see what happens.

I used 8oz melted cocoa butter. Was it supposed to be 8oz solid' date=' before melting?[/quote']

should be 8 oz by weight, and won't matter if it's solid or melted!

ETA: the sweaty thing happened to me too. don't do the freezer, just wait them out.

As an alternative you can put them in an airtight container before freezing and let it come to room temp before opening the lid = that MIGHT work.

I have a question about this hopefully someone will know... could you do this without the citric acid? I'm assuming the citric acid is just for a bubbly affect?

Also, I'm guessing the shelf life would be the same as whatever the shelf life of cocoa butter is?

What does this make the bath water like? Does the bath melt, slowly melt and then sits on the top of the water, or does it disperse into the water nicely?

Thanks if anyone can help :)

Kelly - the citric acid, along with the baking soda, produces fizzing which helps break up the melt in the tub. The shelf life of cocoa butter is pretty darned long, I'd say that the shelf life of the melts will depend on the humidity in which they are stored rather than on the cocoa butter going rancid. It makes the bath water oily and of course it floats on top - there is nothing in there that will make it disperse in the water. If that's what you want you will need to look into different ingredients.

• 4 weeks later...
I made these! Love em.

Here's a question...

do you think anything could make them float? Maybe using some naturasorb?

anyone try this?

thx

I made these about a month or so ago and...well...mine float :confused: I just assumed this is what it was supposed to do LOL. I drop it in the tub once it's full & it sinks to the bottom for a few seconds, then pops back up, starts fizzing (a bit) and releases the cocoa butter & scent.

So...um...should they not float?

I made these about a month or so ago and...well...mine float :confused: I just assumed this is what it was supposed to do LOL. I drop it in the tub once it's full & it sinks to the bottom for a few seconds' date=' then pops back up, starts fizzing (a bit) and releases the cocoa butter & scent.

So...um...should they [i']not float?

Maybe it was b/c I was storing mine in the fridge?

Were yours at room temp? Florida is V. hot at the moment and I did not want them to soften/melt.

Mine are small chocolate candy molds like chocolate covered cherries so I do not think it's the size that is weighing them down.

thanks!

ilona

Hmm, I don't know. Maybe the coldness could be weighing them down :undecided

Take a few out of the fridge, let them get room temp & then see if they float.

I keep these things all over the place just to see what happens in different temps. I have some in the basement (coolest place in the house), in my bathroom (no window & it gets steamy in there!), outside in the screened-in porch, in closets...pretty much everywhere LOL. So far, they are all holding up pretty darn well. That Cocoa Butter is a tough little baby.

I made these recently and think they are heavenly!! However, I noticed that the wonderful chocolate scent was gone after about a week. Do you think it's because my cocoa butter was the stuff in tubes(supposedly 100% cocoa butter)from the pharmacy or could it be that my citric acid was about 11/2 years old?

I haven't made these yet but I have a couple ideas just by reading this entire thread. I totally intend on making them soon.

As far as scents go, to compliment the cocoa butter you could use scents like

Chocolate Orange, Chocolate Mint, Chocolate covered cherry, Chocolate covered strawberry, Chocolate Banana, Amour de Cacao would be good.

Also pouring into silicone molds would work great then wrap in the foil paper and package in cello bags.

Here's a website that carries just the right size molds for these babies. And appropriate molds to go with the theme of chocolate.

http://www.flexiblemolds.com/valentines_day.htm

• 2 weeks later...

Ok,lol...where to start:embarasse I attempted this today as it seemed very easy. Everything started out wonderful until I added the Citric acid, and, well everything turned out nasty. As I was stirring like mad, they turned into mashed potatoes:yay: It would have been great if I was looking to cook dinner. Can any of you kind people let me know what could have gone wrong here...

Thanks so much,

Steph

• 3 weeks later...
OK, my question is: the recipe Kristy passed out at ISOCAN says:

1 T. Fragrance or Essential Oil

If 1 tablespoon of fragrance oil is ok, isn't that too much for essential oil? I though EO usage was usually lower?

I was thinking about this Peg and with the batch being as big as it is and being divided up into .5 oz. portions, it's being dissolved in a whole tub of water. It shouldn't matter too much.

• 1 month later...

I saw this recipe here last year and finally got around to making these this past weekend. I just used the basic recipe and didn't add any fragrance because I love the smell of cocoa butter. I gave some to my daughter and she told me last night that she LOVED these and they made her skin feel so soft! I only gave her 2 so she was depressed she didn't have any more. I told her I had plenty more so she is happy again. :yay: Great recipe Bunny!