pour pots

Hi all-

I am finally building a nice stock of supplies (including a separate pour pot per scent). Question of the day... what does everyone do with the little bit of leftover wax at the end of your pour session? I usually have anywhere up to 2oz in the pour pot and have been leaving it in there, then stick the pot in my oven to reheat until fully melted and add new wax/FO to it. I kind wonder if there is a better option or if this is good, then great!

Thanks!

That is what I started doing when I got enough pour pots--leaving it in the pots, turning over on a shelf so no dirt/dust gets in, and just pouring hot wax in when making a new batch.  I heat my wax in a separate large roaster and never add fragrance to that pan.  I heat the wax in the roaster then pour into a pour pot, continuing to heat on a hot plate until it reaches 180 so I can add my fragrance oil.  This is for my best-selling scents as I don't have THAT many pour pots. :)

Goldie

• Like 1

I don't have a separate pour pot per scent either.  I pour excess into metal tart molds then unmold and store them in individual plastic tubs.  

When I get enough stored up I remelt and pour into 6 cavity clams.

• Like 4

I have 8 pour pots and never use the same one for the same fragrance, I would have to own over 100 pots ?

if there is some left after pouring I pour it in the little plastic Jell-O shot containers and use them for melts for personal use 

it's not often I have much left because I have my calculations down pretty accurate and plus I make a tester jar for every new batch I make to burn and make sure nothing wonky is happening before they go to sale and the tester jar doesn't have to be exact - it's usually overfilled from what I weigh for sale jars 

I did however make a big boo boo and didn't wipe a pot out well enough that I had used dye for a parasoy blend and my sale jars I made kinda have a blue tint to them ? ... I do not dye soy at all and hopefully people will think it's cool because I'm not redoing them it's burning just fine 

• Like 3

If I don't pour it into a little container of some sort for use later while it's still warm, I warm the pot on the stove (if it's vegetable wax, I don't use a double boiler), and then pour it into a small container.  As others have mentioned, the little samplers get saved up for something else -- for me, it's personal-use candles, either chunk candles, or combined scented wax candles. 

I suppose I should wick a jar and just start pouring layers, that would save some time! 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, birdcharm said:

If I don't pour it into a little container of some sort for use later while it's still warm, I warm the pot on the stove (if it's vegetable wax, I don't use a double boiler), and then pour it into a small container.  As others have mentioned, the little samplers get saved up for something else -- for me, it's personal-use candles, either chunk candles, or combined scented wax candles. 

I suppose I should wick a jar and just start pouring layers, that would save some time! 

1)  pour layers

2)  pour chunks for later use

3)  pour leftovers into little stainless steel coffee creamers if I think I'll be using it in a day or two.  If not, the back to #1 or #2

• Like 3

I have two large and two small pour pots. Have never found a need to buy more. I just wipe out the pour pot with paper towels in between scents I am making.

Every since I stared calculating my pouring charts for each size jar I have, I no longer have leftover wax. So when I pour for any jar I know how much wax I need per jar. Can't afford to waste any wax, scent, etc., as I am running a business.

Edited by Candybee
  • Like 5

I don't usually have much left over either since I weigh it all out.  Although I'm "old school" -- lol, y'all have pouring pots!  I have an assortment of vintage coffee cans!  When was the last time there was Hills Brothers Gold?  They've been pinched for pouring and I've collected many, some for use with different colors of paraffin or parasoy; others for use with soy; and, then of course, I've got my collection of glass coffee pots from when I was more active making gel candles -- I'm thinking of converting those over for soy as I think they would work.  And, my "candle corner" is a real mess right now, thank goodness spring is near, maybe I'll have some time to clean up!!  I admit, there are some "stashes" of colored-scented paraffin in there just waiting to find a candle to call home.  I must be a hoarder of wax.  :(

• Like 2

22 hours ago, birdcharm said:

I do that a lot with extra wax! People love them! :)

4 hours ago, birdcharm said:

Although I'm "old school" -- lol, y'all have pouring pots!  I have an assortment of vintage coffee cans!  When was the last time there was Hills Brothers Gold?  They've been pinched for pouring and I've collected many, some for use with different colors of paraffin or parasoy; others for use with soy;

(Hobbyist, not pro)

Before switching to a conduction hotplate, I used a double boiler with various melting cans with a pinched side for pouring. Quite efficient, and certainly a money saver. My favorites were the very large cans from Costco crushed tomatoes.

I now have nicer 'pour pots'. They are 2 'conduction ready' stainless steel sauce pans with very nice pouring lips that don't drip. Eventually they'll get cleaned and returned to the kitchen.

In the beginning I used to melt extra wax so I'd have enough. But now with the digital scale, I only have little bits extra which I pour into small plastic containers and just wipe out the pour pot with a nice soft rag. When I have enough bits of the same color, I'll re-melt and pour Heinz57 candles. :) 

Edited by Incendia
  • Like 2

I also started out using the coffee cans when they were aluminum and had one for every scent and just left the scent in them until next time.  We drank a lot of coffee!  But when I built my shop that was to many coffee cans to keep up with and ordered the pitchers.  I have 7 large & 2 small ones.  Pour left overs in tarts.

• Like 1

I have to wonder if there's a pot for every scent a person carries, how big is the work space going to get? OR is this a reason to buy a bigger house? 

I don't get the pour pot for every scent ... though I almost went there and then woke up to the realization I had more pots than I had room for them. Typically they don't retain scent bit that's typically not always. Nice little unscented baby wipes help to eat up the residue of scent. But even better ... presto pot and cups take up far less room. I think we have about 8-10 pour pots for sale if the OP is looking. 

I keep a dozen or so pots, but don't segregate by scent. My business model is much like moonshine's. I use several different waxes and a hundred or so fragrances. That would be a lot of pots... 

i usually calculate spot spot on for production. If in a hurry, and have some left over, I pour "candle shoppe" candles. The dribbles of scents blend to smell like a candle shop and all smell different as they burn. 

Well I only have 8 scents and work with one wax so haha. I usually leave pour 1-2 oz more than I'll need in case I have to do a top layer to fill any imperfections - I guess I just wanted to be sure that reheating it like that and adding more wax wouldn't negatively affect anything but so far so good in my tests 

• Like 1

I have a 64 cavity silicone mold from Bittercreek that i pour any excess into.  Some of them I will package in little 2x2 baggies for samples and I also save some for when I come up short on my top-offs.  I don't usually have more than 3-4 but nothing is wasted.

• Like 1

I have 4 pour pots. One for florals. One for fruity. One for spicy. And one for foody. I also have an assortment of cans that I use for smaller amounts of wax for tart testers. Any extra wax (usually a couple ounces) gets poured into a souffle cup for use in the tart warmer later.

Edited by Faerywren
  • Like 1