Summer scents

Siren12

I know its late for starting summer scents for some of you but I don't sell as many as a lot of you guys do so I tend to make mine 2 weeks prior to putting them in my booth. 

So far for summer I was going to do

CS blueberry cobbler

CS beach linen

And CS English garden 

Do you think there would be some better scents for summer? I have tons of bakery and vanilla based scents in my box of scents so I don't want to make too many bakery candles. 

Are there any summer scents that sell for you guys?

Thanks ?

Edited by Siren12
  • Like 1

What  about verbena + lavender or peach. I just love SC peach nectar or the plain peach - Personally, i love the Peaks pineapple but not a big 

fan of mango etc - to my nose they have an odd smell - coconuts always popular too. 

• Like 1

Thanks Moonstar- I got a sample of the peach from CS and mixed it with vanilla thinking that it could be a good mix and that was just a fail lol does not work at all. And oob i am not really a fan of the straight peach from CS so maybe i'll order a sample of something else like peach nectar.

• Like 1

If you wanted to add something, I'd say maybe something fruity without the bakery note.  I love summer scents so much,  I have way more than I need.  Right now I have Salty Sea Air (RE), Jamaica Me Crazy (CS), Honeydew (CS), Magnolia Blossom (CS), Strawberries & Champagne (TFC), Clean Breeze (NG) and Spring Rain (CS) on the shelves.  I also recently added Grapefruit & Mangosteen from Aztec.  I don't usually care for anything citrusy, but I really like that one.  There are so many that I love it's hard to choose just a few, so I'll change my up throughout the season.

I love the Blueberry Cobbler from CS, but I have a devil of a time wicking that one. 

• Like 2

i actually just ordered Jamaica me crazy (CS) which i thought sounded good, i also ordered Raspberry sangria (Cs). Also from CS i ordered Ocean Breeze sample to try out.  I also really like the Grapefruit & Mangosteen and also i have Citron and Manderin that i am going to mix with citronella to make some candles for gifts. 

I wanted to try CS Sex on the Beach but because of the flash point it would have had to of been sent UPS ground and that was an extra $4 shipping even if it was just the sample. so maybe when i have a larger order ill get a sample of that

As for the Blueberry Cobbler (CS) i didnt have trouble wicking it, I use 444 Golden and I use an Eco 10 and it worked well. I may try it with the eco 14 since i have a ton of those since i ordered them by accident to see if upping the wick changes anything. 

Edited by Siren12

1 hour ago, Siren12 said:

Thanks Moonstar- I got a sample of the peach from CS and mixed it with vanilla thinking that it could be a good mix and that was just a fail lol does not work at all. And oob i am not really a fan of the straight peach from CS so maybe i'll order a sample of something else like peach nectar.

You know not sure why but i don't care for the CS peach either,but the peach nectar is yummy :) have you sampled the CS blood orange. its really nice, to me anyhow.

Im thinking of mixing it with some vanilla, something richer than the CS vanilla though. I wasn't a fan of the CS Sangria either. Let us know what you come up with.

Moonstar- I actually do have a sample of the Blood orange! it smells really good OOB so i think i am going to test that one also. 

I just put in an order with CS and also got their Hydrangea, pineapple coconut, and peach nectar as samples. hopefully along with the Jamaica Me Crazy,  Raspberry Sangria, and Ocean Breeze something will fit. 

Edited by Siren12
  • Like 1

The following have been selling well in my little shop:

Butt Naked (I name it Malibu Beach) from Tennesee candle

Soothing Lavender (from the candle source)

Honeysuckle

Lilac

Gardenia

Aloha Vanilla ( fp fragrance oils)

peach nectar (CS)

garpefruit mangosteen (CS)

Sea Witch (I call Room with a view) from Pure frag. Oils)

Fruit Slices

Orange Cilantro ( Pine Meadows Soap)

Edited by ktaggard
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Don't forget Monkey Farts!  Don't care for the name myself, but customers love it,  

I like Cantaloupe & Lily from Aztec.  

Ocean scents and tropical scents are good for summer; there are so many to choose from.

• Like 1

I'm with you Gall, I love Monkey Farts! I do leave the name but on Butt Naked I change it.

I'm not a big fan of floral but I have customers that love it. Lavender, magnolia and lilac are popular. Sweet Pea is another popular one for summer. I personally like anything with berries or lemon like lemon pound cake or berrylicious or wild berry mousse.

• Like 1

Satsuma from AH/RE is a great blood orange, I mixed it with Salty Sea Air and called it Mermaid.  I sell tons of whatever has the names beach, sand, driftwood, sunset in the summer.  And of course Lavender & Monkey Farts, but those sell year round for me.

• Like 1

Definetly a fruit like grapefruit and mango or passionfruit guava or a citrus like lime margarita 

herbs sell great in the summer for me 

lavender - lavender sage- rosemary- tomato leaf - Rosemary mint 

florals a must- honeysuckle or honeysuckle jasmine - rose - hyacinth- lilac or gardenia

a beachy scent like coconut or my favorite sun and sand WSP

Fresh fresh fresh scents like blue sky or clean cotton - sea kelp or sea witch 

vanilla is always a staple year round but bakery I find more popular in fall and winter 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I would get a Macintosh Apple and a peach nectar.

Other top sellers for me are in the shops I sell to are:

Lemon Verbena

Vanilla is always a standard - I have 3 different shops and I order Vanilla Bean Noel and change the name to:  Vanilla Frosting, Toasted Vanilla and Vanilla Crisp

Lavender Vanilla is always a good seller

And a pine is an excellent seller also even in the summer

Florals are good also like Moonshine said

Trappeur

These are just a few suggestions.

12 hours ago, Trappeur said:

I would get a Macintosh Apple and a peach nectar.

Other top sellers for me are in the shops I sell to are:

Lemon Verbena

Vanilla is always a standard - I have 3 different shops and I order Vanilla Bean Noel and change the name to:  Vanilla Frosting, Toasted Vanilla and Vanilla Crisp

Lavender Vanilla is always a good seller

And a pine is an excellent seller also even in the summer

Florals are good also like Moonshine said

Trappeur

These are just a few suggestions.

Trappeur - Do you mind me asking where you purchase your Vanilla Bean Noel?   I bought an 8 oz bottle from TCS last year and I barely got any CT or HT from it.  I was actually taken back by it.  I've always had good luck with their oils.  I didn't try any candles, just clamshells using PB. I was thinking it just needed to cure, but even now there's very little scent throw to it.  Maybe I just need to try a different wax : / 

Edited by MLG

Hi Missy,

Sure of course.....wow, I get mine from Tennessee.  I use 464....don't know what you use....but it is so beautiful and a wonderful thrower.  Now I did get some samples Belinda sent me of others and they were pretty nice....one was from I believe Fragrance Buddy.  She also sent me Mrs. Claus cookies which is to me about the same fragrance and that was nice too.....

Trappeur

I've only tried it in Pillar of Bliss (NG), but I may have to try it in 6006 or even 4687 and see if I get better results.  I really love this scent OOB.  Maybe some room spray? :)

BTW - I've missed seeing your posts Trappeur! ;) 

Guest OldGlory

I have found that fragrance preferences are regional and you really have to do your homework. Go out to the stores in your area that sell candles and be a customer who is interested in purchasing a few candles. Ask the staff what the best sellers are. You want to know what other stores in the area are selling. Get a consensus.

I live in a touristy mountain community in east Tennessee, but I am not from here originally. When I started my business it was with essential oils and 'aromatherapy' candles. Huge failure, glad I started small. I learned quickly that in general my customers want straightforward easily identified candle fragrances. Spiced Apple, Birthday Cake, etc. I am not sure, but I think it puts them at ease when they can identify the notes in the scent and know what to expect. Your community may be different.

If you don't already buy from Aztec, you can buy 5 one oz. bottles each month for $1 each, and they will ship for around $7. If you usually have to pay a surcharge for shipping then it may apply also. For outstanding summer scents from Aztec you can choose from Georgia Peach, Lovespell, Mango Papaya, Gain, Monkey Farts, Blackberry Sage, Sunny Beaches, Salted Caramel, Sparkling Limoncello, and Volcano. I sell all of these scents in melts made from a blend of paraffin waxes. As with most suppliers, the FOs are hit or miss. Their 5 for $5 sale each month makes it super easy to try new scents.

OG, that is the most true statement ever. Regional, seasonal, even right down to the actual shop will differ. The target markets are very, very different,

i don't think anybody on this board would sell what works for me and my target market. It took several years to figure out.

• Like 1

On 7/13/2016 at 11:20 AM, MLG said:

I've only tried it in Pillar of Bliss (NG), but I may have to try it in 6006 or even 4687 and see if I get better results.  I really love this scent OOB.  Maybe some room spray? :)

BTW - I've missed seeing your posts Trappeur! ;) 

Why thankyou Missy.....that was so kind of you....I sort of took some time off....just lots of things happening, but I'll do better and get on the stick here as I have always loved being part of the gang here......:)

Trappeur......and wow....so many new faces!