Today Thar Be Eggs. tomorrow That Be Dragons

TallTayl

19 minutes ago, Jcandleattic said:

Being a GoT fan, and even just a Dragon fan, I LOVE those!! They are awesome... Do you had carve them,, or is that a mold? 

I made three mother models painstakingly by hand out of wood and clay. Each scale was rolled, cut and placed one by one. Then I made silicone molds of them to cast the candles. It took about 10 tries to get them right. 

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

I made three mother models painstakingly by hand out of wood and clay. Each scale was rolled, cut and placed one by one. Then I made silicone molds of them to cast the candles. It took about 10 tries to get them right. 

Labor of love!! 

Oh wow! Those are so nice. I couldn't imagine making molds for those. I know it was a lot of hard work but it sure paid off! I'm not a GOT fan (just haven't watched it yet) but I am a Harry Potter fan and I thought the title reminded me of something Hagrid would say since he loved dragons LOL!

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Belinda said:

Oh wow! Those are so nice. I couldn't imagine making molds for those. I know it was a lot of hard work but it sure paid off! I'm not a GOT fan (just haven't watched it yet) but I am a Harry Potter fan and I thought the title reminded me of something Hagrid would say since he loved dragons LOL!

A little off topic, but if you do want to get into GoT - I would suggest reading the books before watching the shows. They are sooo much better. (as per usual with books vs movies) 

Those are beautiful eggs!! Nice work. What method did you use to make the silicone molds? I have some things here I'd like to make molds out of, but there seem to be various ways of doing it, and I want to avoid the less than optimal ones. Do you coat the models with pure silicone, or mix silicone and water first, or...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Gsmakinsoap said:

Those are beautiful eggs!! Nice work. What method did you use to make the silicone molds? I have some things here I'd like to make molds out of, but there seem to be various ways of doing it, and I want to avoid the less than optimal ones. Do you coat the models with pure silicone, or mix silicone and water first, or...

After many trials and failures, I settled on two part Mold Max or OOMOO from Smooth on. I secure the master in a container, then pour the liquid silicone slowly in. Takes about 24 hours to cure. Cut it out an it's ready to go. 

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 2/28/2016 at 10:03 AM, TallTayl said:

After many trials and failures, I settled on two part Mold Max or OOMOO from Smooth on. I secure the master in a container, then pour the liquid silicone slowly in. Takes about 24 hours to cure. Cut it out an it's ready to go. 

Do you find that the molds last a long while, or do they give up the ghost?

As long as I am careful they last a couple of seasons. These are not my favorite silicone for durability though.  I have two slices down the side to get the candle out. I need to reinforce the bottom so it doesn’t peel open to far and break in two. 

no. :( the baby dragons will be too large and spendy for these eggs. people aren't really keen on paying much more  - at least they weren't - to make it worth while. These are 19 oz or so beeswax candles, which i struggle to get decent $ for to make them worthwhile.

BUT!!!! I plan to put crystals and charms inside this year. both are more size appropriate and economical. People at the summer event seem to love to gamble for prizes.

the baby dragons will go in the bigger (and more $) ceramic dragon egg container candles. I cant wait to be done dipping tapers so I can get into the mud!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Candybee said:

TT - don't you cater to the Renaissance fair crowd? I can see there would be a lot of interest in them. You could give them birth certificates with each egg and a dragon's name on the certificate to go with.

that is my tribe, yes.

I have an entire new concept to reveal this year, complete with a story book and business model.  Gotta get hopping to complete the copyrighting and trademarking. never a dull moment!

• Like 2