How long does everyone stir?

Trappeur I remember when I first started making candles and reading on this forum everyone saying you had to stir for 2 full minutes to incorporate the FO into the wax. It was like this rule was written in stone. Everyone said they did it. Not only that but it would be posted over and over again for several years. So I thought I had to do it too.

So you aren't the only one. Funny how everyone back then copied others. I remember for a long time I would never say anything about not stirring for so long. That was also back in the time on this forum when if you would post something like that you would probably get blasted by several know it all posters. Thankfully they have left.

Yep Candybee,  I know what you mean about not saying things for fear of getting blasted from certain posters.  Geesh when I joined here years ago, I came here for a very long time unidentified just reading and would be apauled (sp) just reading nasty posts from posters to others if they even spelled a word wrong.  I got blasted a few times myself.  Didn't enjoy coming here what so ever.  And I found this forum to be very clicky.  There are so many awesome people here and so much knowledge on this board, I never stop learning.  I see a lot of people have left and yes, certain nasty ones.  I'm finding it a nice thing to come home to at night after a hard days work and come here and read and post and there are really nice people here that I have met.  I like that .  For years I was on the BC forum and I had a total blast and so much fun and met so many nice people.  But times have changed and people come and go for all different reasons.  It still is a nice board but quiet.  Many people didn't like going onto that board because you couldn't talk about any vendors/suppliers except Bittercreeks products.  That was difficult for many and they chose not to stay, but for the ones who did, like myself, you just have to adapt to the regulations there.  So it worked for me even though I didn't use all their products, but it was ok and I learned so much too.

Geesh, I didn't mean to sagotage this post!  Sorry..... *hiding* 

Trappeur

• Like 5

I have chopsticks, bamboo skewers, and old wooden cooking spoons all dedicated to my candlemaking. I keep them all in an old plastic cup as my candle "utensil" holder cup. I don't think I bought any of them and they sure come in handy. Everything wipes clean with paper towels. Or if it doesn't, I heat gun it until the wax starts to melt off then wipe clean with a paper towel.

• Like 2

I think it's funny that people are admitting to not stirring for 2 minutes. I never have either!  I started making wax melts almost 4 years ago and I remember reading on here that people stirred for that long but I decided that wasn't for me.   I stir stir stir for not that long and then stir again right before I pour. My wax melts are strong.  I've never admitted that I don't stir for 2 minutes because I thought everyone here did.  It's nice to get that off my chest.  lol.  :)

• Like 5

I think it's funny that people are admitting to not stirring for 2 minutes. I never have either!  I started making wax melts almost 4 years ago and I remember reading on here that people stirred for that long but I decided that wasn't for me.   I stir stir stir for not that long and then stir again right before I pour. My wax melts are strong.  I've never admitted that I don't stir for 2 minutes because I thought everyone here did.  It's nice to get that off my chest.  lol.  :)

lol......I just never thought people stirred less than 2 minutes....lol...love what you just said Suzy....

Now that the truth is coming out and everyone is fessing up, I'd like to see if others will fess up to when making their candles that they all don't have a 1/4" to 3/8" melt pool depth, but a little bigger.......hmmm...lol

Trappeur

This thread is making me laugh. I'm guilty too. When I first started, 4 years ago, I would set my timer and stir and stir. Now I just stir until I think it looks good. I mostly make melts in clamshells, so I wait until it cools to somewhere between 150-160 - give a quick stir and pour. Works great!

I too remember the time when I was scared to post anything. Scared of being yelled at.

I remember one post where a guy posted that he was going to start selling his candles. He posted pictures of his candles. The wicks were going in all kinds of direction, not even secured. Colors were awful. Wax was all bumpy and with great big wholes in it. People attacked him and told him he was going to blow up houses and how dare he.... I got on and said that this had to be a joke and that it was making me laugh. Man I thought I was going to get lynched. Wooh - lesson learned there.

Thank you - to all in this forum now. It might not be as active as it once was, but I really like the vibe here. And we still have people that really know there stuff!!

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

I know I am resurrecting an old thread here, but I find this topic fascinating. The two minute rule is RAMPANT out there on the interwebz, but I trust y'alls judgment much more. I'm still going to err on the side of caution and stir longer until I get all my scents ready, and then I will feel comfortable backing off then.

I always find this to be a fascinating discussion (geek). Fragrance oil and wax do not infuse or mix (in my opinion) but rather the relationship is a suspension. You can clearly see the two oils as they are being stirred, especially if the fragrance oil has a tint. I stir the suspension from the time it is first added until it is poured into the jar. Others disagree and only stir for a short period of time, with no fear that the fragrance oil will settle to the bottom or fall out of suspension. I poured a heavy and darkly tinted fragrance oil (Tuscan Muscadine or something like that) and it settled to the bottom while cooling.  Even mixing with a hand mixer did not keep some of the fragrance oil from settling to the bottom; so I decided the formulation had some filler that was much heavier than the wax and chunked it in the garbage. Quality oils are easily suspended in the wax and shouldn't require constant agitation, but I err on the side of caution and stir throughout the process. Sorry for the long response.

Steve

• Like 1

I believe there is some infusion in the process but not in the initial mixing or blending of the FO with the wax. I think the infusion has more to do with the FO components themselves infusing together in the bottle. Kind of like when you infuse garlic or herbs into olive oil. Some FOs get stronger or deeper notes when they sit on the shelf longer or when you mix your own FO blend or add essential oils to it.

Also, I believe the FO does infuse with the wax over time during the cure. Test a candle after 24 hrs, then 1 week, or a month, or a year later. I don't mean that the scent will continue to get stronger forever but as long as that particular scent and wax combo takes to develop in the wax during its cure.

The proof is in the burning. Who hasn't bought or made a candle that wasn't so strong in the beginning but got stronger deeper into the burn? The wax melts and releases the oil, which when warmed disperses the molecules into the air through the draft of the flame. The fo becomes more concentrated in the melt pool and thus you have an increased amount of molecules heated and dispersed into the air. I'm not sure of the process that fragrance oil goes through while sitting on the shelf. Some of my older fragrances are more complex and the color has gotten darker but I wonder if the fragrance is simply breaking down. Fragrances with more essential oils added seem to be somewhat fragile. I'm just not convinced that candles "cure" but rather the fragrance builds up a concentration of available molecules for the nose to pick up. I guess that qualifies as a cure but that only applies to soy or veggie waxes. I have noticed that the majority of the name brand candles are paraffin.

• Like 1