How long does everyone stir?

Stirring: wooden paint stick for beeswax, silicone spatula for soy.

I have been searching and searching to find my favorite diagram that shows what happens with wax with fragrance. it showed the relationship between larger wax molecules to smaller fragrance molecules. The wax molecules expand when heated, then shrink while cooling entrapping the fragrance molecules in a crystal-like structure. Those crystals form over time, like you see with palm waxes that form those beautiful frost-like crystals. You also see crystals with soy when it 'frosts', it just takes longer.

Releasing those fragrance molecules is a little more complicated with more variables. Air current, temp of wick, temp of FO to volitize, wax, etc. it's more than melt pool. Some candles i burned before making my own had barely and melt pool at all. The wax warmed and weeped into the low point around the wick where it burned and filled the house with scent. Those candles burned for a hundred hours or more and were scented the same from first light to last. One i remember lighting a decade ago and boxed it for a move. Opened it up to light one random day when purging old atuff in storage and that partially burned old candle was still perfect. I wish i had kept them!!!

Edited by TallTayl

For the ones that use wood anything... Do you ever have a problem with scent cross contamination (for lack of a better phrase) ?

I use paint stir sticks, a different one for each scent.  Mark the stick with scent name and reuse each time I pour so I keep scents from mixing.  Probably not needed, but then I stir for full 2 minutes as well.  

I'm a bit confused by a few of your responses and want to make sure I'm understanding you:  When you add your FO at 185 then stir for whatever amount of time, don't you wait until the wax cools down before pouring in your jar or mold?  It sounds like some are pouring into final container as soon as they are done stirring in the FO.  Certainly not saying that is wrong, just wondering. :)

Goldie

I'm a bit confused by a few of your responses and want to make sure I'm understanding you:  When you add your FO at 185 then stir for whatever amount of time, don't you wait until the wax cools down before pouring in your jar or mold?  It sounds like some are pouring into final container as soon as they are done stirring in the FO.  Certainly not saying that is wrong, just wondering. :)

Goldie

I pour as soon as I'm done stirring. I don't take temps, so couldn't tell you at what temp that is. I see it this way, it's going to cool down with the FO in there whether that's in the container or in the stir pot. I have never in all my years had a problem with FO sinking to the bottom of my candle jar. I did early on, but that was mainly due to using too much FO load per lb of wax. 

After I have stirred I do wait to a temperature anywhere from 120 to not anymore than give or take 145 degrees.  The reason that it doesn't matter to me if the temperature drops way down is because I always put my little leaf, pine tree, etc do dads on the top and I have to always to do a  very very light repour so the embed adheres to the top of the wax.....so it doesn't matter when I pour.  Now if I don't put a doo dad on the top I pour and can get away with a one pour with smooth glass tops but I never pour high as I have always had the fear of too high a pour and the wick might lift off the bottom even though I do use the stickum.  I saw where someone once posted here that it happened to her and I even read it on a suppliers directions....and I'm not taking any chances.....lol

Trappeur

After I have stirred I do wait to a temperature anywhere from 120 to not anymore than give or take 145 degrees.  The reason that it doesn't matter to me if the temperature drops way down is because I always put my little leaf, pine tree, etc do dads on the top and I have to always to do a  very very light repour so the embed adheres to the top of the wax.....so it doesn't matter when I pour.  Now if I don't put a doo dad on the top I pour and can get away with a one pour with smooth glass tops but I never pour high as I have always had the fear of too high a pour and the wick might lift off the bottom even though I do use the stickum.  I saw where someone once posted here that it happened to her and I even read it on a suppliers directions....and I'm not taking any chances.....lol

Trappeur

Yes, even though I don't take temps, I don't pour hot (or mix the FO when it's too hot) for that specific reason as well. 

• 3 weeks later...