Thermometers?

I think the title says it all: what kind of thermometer do you use, if you are still using one?

I was prepping a pot of wax this morning, got the dye and fragrance in, and I’m just giving it one last temp check before pouring. Sounds easy enough, right? I’m lifting my glass thermometer out when that stupid little yellow rubbery piece decides to just let go of the thermometer!*

Ive been thinking of getting a infrared type, but I thought maybe I’d see what some have to say. Pros, Cons, brands, etc.

(* it may have been me that actually dropped the thermometer, but since nobody else was around at the time, we’ll blame the rubber piece)

Used to use a probe like what chefs use in meat. It had a leash attached to a timer and thermo reader for alarms of min and max temps. Super handy for those who get distracted.

i now use an IR instant thermo. Stir the wax well, point, shoot, and temp is read. Found mine on amazon inexpensivly. Works quite well. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

Used to use a probe like what chefs use in meat. It had a leash attached to a timer and thermo reader for alarms of min and max temps. Super handy for those who get distracted.

i now use an IR instant thermo. Stir the wax well, point, shoot, and temp is read. Found mine on amazon inexpensivly. Works quite well. 

I was thinking about the probe style too, but then my wife caught me trying to pilfer the one from our kitchen, so that was a no go.

Like I said, I think I will be getting an IR type, mainly because the ease of use and speed. Are there any cons you’ve found with an IR?

Just be sure that you test the accuracy of the IR one before you rely completely on it. Many of them need to be calibrated or at the very least know how far off it is from accurate so that you can compensate for it. Otherwise, they work great!

16 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

The most important thing with my Ir is stirring well while taking a reading. Every wax pot has hot spots.

The thermometer lets me be consistent, even if off a degree or two. 

You should be able to check it with boiling water

I've used a meat thermometer that I got from Harbor Freight years ago. I think it was something like $3.99.  It's insanely accurate. I bought a much pricier digital thermometer that ended up being a piece of junk.  I've also got an IR but I don't trust it.  So el cheapo Harbor Freight thermometer it is for me.

I must be the odd one out. 

I don't use a thermometer. Haven't since probably my 3rd day in. Maybe sooner, who knows, I can't remember yesterday let alone 20 years ago! HA 

I also don't work with temperamental waxes that rely on a certain temp to be poured. I mean, I do use palm, but I set my presto to 205, melt and go. Never had a problem, so don't consider not having a thermometer a problem. 

• Like 1

Since i bought my presto I have not checked temps at all either.  Tho I am using palm as well.  I heat to between 210-215 myself.  depends on how far i turn the knob each time i melt wax.  so far my wick test candles have turned out great tho wicks not so much lol.

• Like 1

I stopped using a thermometer early on but then was never able to get a completely consistent candle. Since going back to taking temperatures at both heat and pour. my candles are spot on nearly 100% of the time.

• Like 1

Well in response to the infrared thermometers?.......I had always used that type till a post went up here sometime about 1 1/2 years ago stating that these thermometers are not accurate and you won't get a correct reading in the internal body of the melted wax so after that post I went back to using the glass thermometer which always scares me as I did have one crack on me and I wasted an entire 4 pounds of wax in a pot.

Trappeur

On 8/1/2018 at 10:23 AM, TallTayl said:

This is the kind I had to get as I try to get other things done while the wax is melting and need an alarm to remind me wax is at my set temperature.

GoldieMN

thermometer.jpg

21 hours ago, Jcandleattic said:

I must be the odd one out. 

I don't use a thermometer. Haven't since probably my 3rd day in. Maybe sooner, who knows, I can't remember yesterday let alone 20 years ago! HA 

I also don't work with temperamental waxes that rely on a certain temp to be poured. I mean, I do use palm, but I set my presto to 205, melt and go. Never had a problem, so don't consider not having a thermometer a problem. 

I really don't either. I gauge it by if the wax sticks to the pot to determine how hot it is. I use mostly 6006, 1343 and 4986, none of which are over temperamental either. :)
IF I were using wax that was, I probably would have quit years ago. LOL

After breaking like 20 of the glass thermometers I went to an IR and it worked great for about 8 years then it seemed off so I tested with boiling water and it was, cheap enough to just buy another rather than pay to have it calibrated.

• 1 year later...

I prefer using an infrared thermometer. It is non-contact and, in my opinion, gives more precise data than other types.

For the first time (it was a little experiment) I've bought a cheap one - Lemsa GM-320. And I was satisfied with the results. Then I wanted more advanced (and more expensive, of course) model. A friend of mine advised me Fluke 62 MAX Plus, and I've bought this one because it has +-1% accuracy (I think it is very accurate).

So the my choice is infrared thermometer.

Картинки по запросу "GM320 Infrared Thermometer Non-Contact""