Temporary labeling

14 minutes ago, Forrest said:

How do you label your glass containers when you are running a test? I’ve been putting a piece of Scotch Tape on the bottom and writing on that, but I’m hoping there is another way that is easier to remove.

Sounds good to me...whatever works for you.  This is how I do mine on little pieces of ripped paper and I tape to the side of the jar or put on the bottom.

CIMG0278.thumb.JPG.78fa818827d66994bceb174966a841f2.JPG

• Like 3

I use square jars, so I put the label on the side.  I don't like having to tip the candle upside down to refer to the label when I'm writing my test-burn notes.   My label includes the date poured, FO blend and supplier(s), rate of usage, wax, wick type, and wick size.  Then I write the same info on an index card.  The index card is for my test burns.  I note the date burned, time lit / time extinguished.  (In the case of soy testers, I also note the ambient temps, since this can affect rate of burn.)  I write down notes about throw and length of time to achieve a full melt pool.  I also note unusual things such as if the wick appears to be drowning or tunneling, excessive soot or shrooms, etc.  These aren't typical, but if I observe them, I generally pour another tester with a different wick or rate of FO usage.  

Edited by Crafty1_AJ
clarification
  • Like 3

Address labels. They sometimes come loose on the ends after a hot pour but they're not meant to stay forever. Used to put them on the bottoms then quickly realized how much of a mistake that was when taking notes during a burn test.

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

I am new and this is my first post however I do have a suggestion for easily removable tape. Washi tape comes off very easily and leaves no residue. Just write on it with a sharpie. I have been writing a number on my washi, putting it on the container and then having an index card with the corresponding number for testing. Masking tape would work as well. Maybe this will help someone. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Echap77 said:

I am new and this is my first post however I do have a suggestion for easily removable tape. Washi tape comes off very easily and leaves no residue. Just write on it with a sharpie. I have been writing a number on my washi, putting it on the container and then having an index card with the corresponding number for testing. Masking tape would work as well. Maybe this will help someone. 

Welcome. I switched to painter's tape and it has worked great for me, but I've never heard of Washi tape, I'll have to check it out.

4 minutes ago, Jenni Wix said:

Washi tape is a great idea!😍  You can color code with washi.  Washi tape is similar to painter's tape or masking tape, but comes in decorative prints and colors.  

I must admit I have an addiction to it. Especially the ones you can get at Michaels for 33 cents. The one i like for this purpose actually looks like little labels.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wthomas57 said:

I label every tester with numbered labels and then keep a book/chart/spreadsheet with the numbers and their respective details.

That is a great idea! I've been writing everything on the label and in a book.

Just now, Forrest said:

That is a great idea! I've been writing everything on the label and in a book.

I used to do that, but it always got too cluttered and hard to read. I even had labels/notes fall off or misplaced from the test candle sometimes as well.

Having all my testing records in one place has worked great. I buy my number tags (sort of like an asset tag without a barcode) in a roll online for very cheap.

Has always worked well for me.

• Thanks 1

I use the removable white contact paper that comes in rolls.  It stays on but easy to peel off when needed. I hate trying to get the residue off the jar from address labels!! I also take pictures of the labels to include in my digital notes.

i also use contact paper to label all of my storage containers.

Edited by gls