The Wood Dough Bowl Trend Is Causing Fires

Who could have predicted that the shallow wooden dough bowls would catch fire? Anyone anyone? 

am seeing post after post of charred dough bowls and it is barely 8:30.  

no sealant or warning sticker  will protect you from a law suit if your customer’s house catches fire because a maker used a flammable container. It is NOT the customer’s fault if a container made from combustible material catches fire. 

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1

I have never understood this trend.

Whenever I’ve tried to say something in groups (that I’ve since left) I’ve been swarmed  at and told something to the effect of ‘it’s ok because they sealed the wood’ 🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️

• Mind Blown 2

Someone will need to be the sacrificial lamb in these groups and get their pants sued off to set the example.  I pity the poor customer who loses their home, health or life. 

You know the wood in these is likely some cheap deadfall trash to treasure.  Wood ages and changes with time. Cracks open to pores in the wood, making the entire bowl a wooden wick. You don’t see the little changes happening under the surface. 

• Like 2

Here’s another angle to think about.

If your warning sticker is on one of these bowls, what happens when the customer refills with remelted wax from random candles say  the dollar store Or a kit from the hobby supply And it catches fire? How are you going to prove it wasn’t your work that caused the fire?

I’ve also seen people swap out different wicks in candles because they want it to burn hotter. How do you prove it was not “your” negligence?

why tempt fate? Although you may not have to pay millions in liability and damages, you still have to pay court fees and legal counsel  to defend yourself in a court of law. That’s not free.

• Shocked 1

I knew this was coming. Same with the dried rose petals catching fire or crystals exploding. I noticed that the makers don't really care as long as it looks good and sells. 30$ for a 8oz tin. Ok. I hope they are well insured. I tried to pass knowledge but fell on deaf ears. Ignorance at it's best.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Lizzy said:

I knew this was coming. Same with the dried rose petals catching fire or crystals exploding. I noticed that the makers don't really care as long as it looks good and sells. 30$ for a 8oz tin. Ok. I hope they are well insured. I tried to pass knowledge but fell on deaf ears. Ignorance at it's best.

You mean like this?

09BD71C9-8D39-4B60-8B4A-204355C6C08A.jpeg

• Mind Blown 1

34 minutes ago, Candybee said:

This reminds me of the coconut shell candles a while back when they were trendy. Everyone wanted to make candles in coconut shells and sell. Some suppliers even provided the bowls under candle making supplies. Another bad idea.

I remember that trend too well. Anything for a buck.

buyers are blamed with no accountability of the maker. So many the new startups are incredibly surprised after launch at how few buyers are willing to risk purchasIng their candles. Initial sales to friends and family dry up when the novelty wears off and everyone is stuck with enough supplies to light their homes through an apocalypse. The cycle then repeats Itself. Those who are able to stick it out for the 2-3 years needed to build a solid base learn these gimmick trends are not worth it.

• Like 1

On 11/1/2020 at 9:34 AM, TallTayl said:

Who could have predicted that the shallow wooden dough bowls would catch fire I used to make candles? Anyone anyone? 

am seeing post after post of charred dough bowls and it is barely 8:30.  

no sealant or warning sticker  will protect you from a law suit if your customer’s house catches fire because a maker used a flammable container. It is NOT the customer’s fault if a container made from combustible material catches fire. 

I am not surprised. I have seen those and wondered about the fire risk as I was shaking my head. Sure they look nice but it is wood and a fire hazard! 😲 Just like you wouldn't make a container candle in a plastic container, if you have any sense. 😄

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Marisa11 said:

But what if I use a really really small wick?

198D02BB-2AD9-426E-A769-7337825D8073.jpeg

No!  That's too small.  One size up might do the job.

Hey!  I thought purpose of wooden bowl is to help candle burn better since none of the wick works well.

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, BusyBee said:

No!  That's too small.  One size up might do the job.

Hey!  I thought purpose of wooden bowl is to help candle burn better since none of the wick works well.

There’s a marketing angle, the bowl is the wick.

• Haha 2

Funny that this topic got started. My sister-in-law told me over the weekend that she got one of the those bread bowl candles. My brother then chimed in and said, “yea and she almost caught the house on fire.” 

0C133E4E-F33D-4F7A-AF2C-46FD22BB6B73.jpeg

I’m very new to candle making but common sense just tells me fire and wood don’t mix. Also just for curiosity standpoint are my assumptions correct that putting the wick that close to the edge of the container is just another bad idea?

Edited by Kris10Tackles
To add on
  • Sad 1
  • Shocked 3

Agreed!!! My brother said he smelled burning and then was confronted with flames. 

After reading through the thread I was also pleased my common sense is sound with my reactions to seeing “stuff” on the surface of candles. My natural reaction is that looks nice in a photo but no just no. And I have almost zero experience!!!!

• Thumbs Up 2