whatcha using to melt that wax

So how is everyone melting their wax...are you a presto pot user...do you have a lovely commercial type wax melter...or are  you a double boiler gal/guy....just curious how big your operations are...perhaps too nosey?...really just curious. Would love to see pictures of your workshops/craftrooms/studios/kitchen setups...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TallTayl said:

Big Prestos for small batches. Water jacket melter for production.

Hey TallTayl can I ask" how did you choose your melter"...there seems to be a number of options on the internet  and its a bit overwhelming to say the least!

A melting pot and and a beat up pan that lost it's finish years ago make up my double boiler. Supplies are kept under my bed. Next room over is my office/computer room. There, I assemble everything. From there, its on to the kitchen to do the cooking.

Q

1 hour ago, Sunday said:

Hey TallTayl can I ask" how did you choose your melter"...there seems to be a number of options on the internet  and its a bit overwhelming to say the least!

A really great deal on the classies from someone who lived about an hour away. 

The square bins hold a lot of wax. For dipping it is a waste. 

I had had a direct heat 100#  round that I sold. In hindsight it was a dumb move. 

I use an old electric roaster which has a removable enamel pan.  Easy to lift out and pour melted wax into pour pots.  I use a thermometer that I can set temperature on so a beeper goes off when my wax reaches that temp.  I started with pour pots in a water-filled Presto until my pour pot developed a pinhole that I didn't notice until I had water in my wax.  I think I should have used a plate or rack between the pot and Presto.  Then used just the Presto, melting the wax directly in that until I found black flakes in the wax from the non-stick finish.    

GoldieMN

nesco.JPG

Presto for testing and small batch making and melts 

turkey fryer for big production candles 

I never used the double boiler method before but when I first started I used a single plugged in burner and melted in a pour pot....learned real fast to be careful with that as it heated fast and way to hot

I have been using the double boiler on the stove, but my husband just added a spigot on a presto pot, yeah! 

Double boiler for testing and singLe batches and presto pot for larger. Can not wait for the day a presto pot is for small batches! 

Is there anything wrong with mixing fragrance oil in the presto pot? I have read here that most of you mix your oils separately in the pouring pots. 

23 minutes ago, Sebleo said:

I have been using the double boiler on the stove, but my husband just added a spigot on a presto pot, yeah! 

Double boiler for testing and singLe batches and presto pot for larger. Can not wait for the day a presto pot is for small batches! 

Is there anything wrong with mixing fragrance oil in the presto pot? I have read here that most of you mix your oils separately in the pouring pots. 

I have never done this either in a presto 

I did once on the single burner and the wax was so hot when I poured the FO in it was like a blast of super harsh fumes that hurt my eyes lungs and I never did it again....

if you watch your temps I'm sure you could  and just wipe out the presto real good before the next batch but then it makes double the clean up for you if you pour into a pour pot after and wait for pouring temp...

I like to just use presto and turkey fryer for wax only and after I transfer the wax I then add the FO or have the FO in the pour pot already waiting - that way I only have to clean out the pot when I'm done and the fumes are not as overwhelming 

I use a wax melter. I started out using the double boiler method and very quickly bought my wax melter cause I couldn't stand the double boiler method!

I pour my wax into my pour pot to color and dye. I would never do it in my melter. I probably could but I want to keep it clean and just for melting wax only.

1 hour ago, moonshine said:

I have never done this either in a presto 

I did once on the single burner and the wax was so hot when I poured the FO in it was like a blast of super harsh fumes that hurt my eyes lungs and I never did it again....

if you watch your temps I'm sure you could  and just wipe out the presto real good before the next batch but then it makes double the clean up for you if you pour into a pour pot after and wait for pouring temp...

I like to just use presto and turkey fryer for wax only and after I transfer the wax I then add the FO or have the FO in the pour pot already waiting - that way I only have to clean out the pot when I'm done and the fumes are not as overwhelming 

Thanks. That makes sense about easier cleanup. Do you just pour into your pour pot and weigh it or do you have your pour pot marked?

I did the double boiler method exactly once. Got so frustrated and irritated that things got ugly fast. LOL Ever since then I have used presto pots. Even back when I was wholesaling and would make production amounts at a time I never graduated to a big melter. Thought about it, but just never did it. Now that my production is much smaller than it was back then, prestos make the most sense to me. I've had all of them (4) for well over 15 years and have never had the teflon coating come off on any of them.  

11 hours ago, Sebleo said:

I have had trouble, but what causes trouble are scratches that can cause the coating to flake off. 

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Scented said:

How in the world are you? I have only two lol! Need four but don't have the room. 

Doing fine Bohemian! - We are just hanging out in Southern VA, in the middle of a soybean farm, taking care of my disabled Dad, in a house we just rehabbed...living the retired life - I guess? Needing to make some candles so thought I would pop on here and check out all the GREAT information and touch base with my cherished crafty friends :-)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Sebleo said:

Thanks. That makes sense about easier cleanup. Do you just pour into your pour pot and weigh it or do you have your pour pot marked?

Weigh

I always always weigh

if I add my FO to the pour pot I weigh it and tare it out to zero

when my wax is ready I weigh the amount of wax needed 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/23/2018 at 8:50 AM, Candybee said:

I use a wax melter. I started out using the double boiler method and very quickly bought my wax melter cause I couldn't stand the double boiler method!

I pour my wax into my pour pot to color and dye. I would never do it in my melter. I probably could but I want to keep it clean and just for melting wax only.

hey Candybee can you please tell me about your melter? I think it's time I invest in a wax melter  but I'm pretty ignorant about professional melters...I  would be happy with a small one  since up until  now  I've been using presto pots .:)

Sunday you should be fine with a presto pot unless you intend to do large scale production. Melters are expensive and can start at $800 and go up into the thousands. Besides, I bought mine many years ago and you can't find it on the internet any longer. Sorry I could not help you there. I don't produce candles the way I used to. Now I only make them for fall and holiday season. I am no longer a candle company but a soap company now.

I have seen some more affordable priced used melters at C&S. They don't always list the used ones for sale on their website so if you are interested you may want to check out what they have online and call them to see what else they may have.

When it comes to buying a wax melter, with the money you will shell out you definitely want to shop around and get quotes and learn about the different types of melters and what each does. Buying or replacing parts can be a huge cost. Also, some take a dedicated outlet so be sure to ask a lot of questions.

Thanks for the tips Candybee ,I agree I could do without a big melter....but I want one hahahah...of course not a super big one!

I took your advice and contacted C&S and put my name on a waiting list. There really isn't too much info on  them...