whatcha using to melt that wax

On 1/20/2018 at 8:21 PM, Quentin said:

A melting pot and and a beat up pan that lost it's finish years ago make up my double boiler. Supplies are kept under my bed. Next room over is my office/computer room. There, I assemble everything. From there, its on to the kitchen to do the cooking.

Q

I use a 2 lb melting pot in an old pan w/water if I'm doing a couple of candles -- If I'm making more, then I heat up the presto pot.  ( I don't sell so it's usually just for myself or various friends so I rarely do large batches)

Currently using a 270# waterjacket for melting the wax from flake form and then a 60 # direct heat with pump attachment for pouring after scent is mixed. currently looking for a 300#+ size as our current larger melted is causing a bottleneck of only being able to heat enough wax for 600 or so candles per day. We've only bough used melters as I've never paid more the  half of retail cost this way buy on the flip side now I have to wait for a 300#+ to pop up before I can buy

1 hour ago, Paintguru said:

Is there something special about the turkey fryer setup, or do you just put them over the propane burner?  I assume you install a spigot on those as well (a la Presto Pot).

No, you don't want that type of turkey fryer. Never over an open flame. And with the type of fryer you need, a spigot wouldn't be possible I don't think. 

The turkey fryers most people have used are made by Masterbuilt and have long been discontinued, but every now and then you can find them used. 

They look something like this - however this is the new version and I don't think these work for wax. 

81vER8GZQiL__SL1500_.thumb.jpg.624b1af6f85b7a82c09d8c1b3d697f7b.jpg

None of my presto's have spigots. I had one very early on that had one and it was more of a pain to use than just not having it. It would get clogged, leak, and sometimes I would forget to close it before melting wax, then it would flow wax all over my counter top. And that was the only presto I ever had that flaked off the non-stick coating. And it was 100% due to the hole drilled for the spigot. 

For me, now it's easier, faster, and cleaner, to use the presto's without adding a spigot. 

10 minutes ago, Paintguru said:

Ah got ya.  I just installed a spigot on my Presto, so hopefully I don't run into the same issues as you did.  For my small time operation, it is probably enough for now.  

I would just make sure your seal is tight and use plumbing tape, same principal as plumbing it will create a tigher seal so liquid doesn't escape.

Edited by LitUp

My husband added a spigot to our presto at Christmas and we filled it with water to test for leaks...good to go!

So, last night I used it for the first time. Put in 2 pounds of wax and within a minute wax was pouring onto the floor! I looked to make sure the valve was closed. Yep. Couldn't move it any more. So I put a pot under it and turned it off, cleaned up the mess and messaged him at work to let him know we would have to look at it again. 

Went back an hour later to see if I could figure it out. Ohhhhhh, yeah, I had the knob in the on position. Why did I have to text my husband so quickly?!*shudder*

• Haha 3

I use the large Presto Pot (Big Kettle) and I have a hot plate that I use with a large, ugly pan I got at Goodwill for 50% off, so I think I paid $2 for it. My guy is looking at making a small wooden stand for the Presto, so I can place a scale on my table, pour pot on top and have the wax flow into the pot as I weigh it.  Hopefully someday I'll need a larger melter, but it will be awhile.

Look on OfferUp = I see the old style turkey fryers there occasionally, usually under $50