Needing help like seriously BAD

Daisymay66

I have the same problem many of us have. I am truly and honestly addicted to oils. Like what's the problem with that, right? I've been doing this for about 10 years now. Another extremely HUGE problem is I am not really a business woman. I totally love to make someone's day and just give them something. Today I took all the secretary's in at my daughters school a room spray.. no biggie, right? Then as I was driving my happy butt away I had a thought.. hmmmm I just gave away $30. One of the lady's wants to order some for her 3 daughters so not all was lost. I absolutely love to make someone's day. Who knows, maybe they were having just a crappy day and I made it better. Plus I try to do at least 1 good deed a day. It's not always giving my products away.. might just be as simple as holding a door open, paying for the person behind me at drivethru... just something.i know God says not to tell and be humble when we do these things so you guys are my secret tellers..don't tell anyone lol :) sooooooooo here's where my problem REALLY comes in.. I know..I haven't actually counted cause I would barf.. but I know I have over 1000 samples. I have to cut down my scents. How in the world do I do this? On top of sample, I have A LOT OF 16 oz scents. I am so sick about this. I have spent literally thousands of dollars and I know I'm not making money cause of my stupid samples and giving away. PLEASE HELP ME!! I'm tough..give it to me straight ;):) thanks so much for your thoughts! 

P.S. I try so hard to not come on here cause I read how great scents are but I miss it so much... so guess what I do? Yep you guess it :(

Edited by Daisymay66
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

You inspire me Daisymay......

What truly wonderful thoughts and things you try and do everyday....all to shed some happiness on people just to make their day a better one.

If we all took your attitude and did what you do to bring a smile to someone even if just once in a while,  the world would be a better place to live in.

How genuine you are...is making me stop to think now....what could I do today to bring a smile to someone?

And for your samples and oils.....well, if you can afford to keep on buying (I'm just as bad as everyone else here most likely is) to support your addiction, go for it.

It brings you happiness and the anticipation/excitement of knowing the ups truck is going to be hitting your driveway today is a highlight like it is for me.  There are plenty far worse addictions to be concerned about than just a  (few) (lol, lol) samples or oils I believe.  Daisy, put your mind to ease and don't beat yourself up over this....look at how you have brightened days of others who like you said were needing a picker uppper?   If you want to get rid of some of  your oils or 1pound bottles, just go and list them here.....See how happy you would be making someone else, so all us fo ho's can buy more? lol

Please have a nice day Daisymay.  YOU deserve it! ......

Oh by the way......don't know if you order from Bittercreek....but did you see the sales they were having this month?:laugh2:  I went and indulged myself on it.   Maybe I made your day a little better and put a smile on your face.....

Trappeur

Edited by Trappeur
  • Like 6

There is no Shame in your game as long as you can afford it 😉

And there should be more humans like you  in this world, what wonderful things you do 

I operate very similar myself, I love giving away my product to people that are unsuspecting of it - it's rewarding to see their eyes go into a little shock and knowing you made their day a little better 

fragrances......I can't help you there as I have just as many and they continue to sit hardly ever making it in wax - I try to stay off supplier sites as much as possible and when I need to order more product I try to steer clear of FO as much as possible but 

Always end up with a few more samples just to see if I may like them  😂

But in all seriousness you have to decide where you want to take this, making money takes time and discipline and a good business plan - if your okay with being more of a hobbiest than that's perfectly okay too, the problem with this craft is there are so many variables and constant testing and bringing in new product to keep the customers coming back and that does take money and tons of time to invest so Don't beat yourself up_ if you enjoy what your doing keep on keeping on and welcome to the multi thousand dollar club 😂 You are not alone 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Trappeur said:

Oh by the way......don't know if you order from Bittercreek....but did you see the sales they were having this month?:laugh2:  I went and indulged myself on it.   Maybe I made your day a little better and put a smile on your face.....

Trappeur

Hey Trapp....what kind of sale is Bittercreek having? 

File those give always under professional samples or marketing and move on with your day.

making someone feel better, sparking a moment of joy, doing something selfless for others is priceless. Paying it forward is something I wish more people would think about. It might not cost money, just a moment of time. 

Count another typing here'with literally hundreds of lbs of fragrance, to keep you company. I have been better lately. When I see a sale, or fragrance I may want from a place I do not normally order from, I click away from the site. If I come back to it once or twice then I might buy. Usually I forget all about it. 

When I needed to be more formal about purchases, I would write a purchase order to myself, then pretend I was my boss looking at it. Why do I need that? Justify it to myself boss. I have a fragrance purchasing budget to work within and how will that work out at the end of the year. Would I fire myself if I were my employee?🙃

• Like 2

Hi Barb,

Well the October Newsletter lists all the different things.

$1.00 off Thanksgiving scents

$2.00 off their Cinnamon Stick

Liquids on sale, warmers and all sorts of bath things....

For the September Newsletter I just got a couple days ago:

Couple pounds Candy Corn

Couple pounds A Northwoods xmas

Couple pounds Butter Rum Allspice

Trappeur

• Thanks 1

@Daisymay66, do you know how much knowledge you have regarding scents that most of us would just love to have a fraction of?  Your money hasn't been wasted at all, imo.  If you want to get rid of your excess, do as suggested, list them for sale or trade or if you're an ebayer, for instance, list them there as a lot and ship them out.  One of the joys of crafting is in the giving -- it's not something that shows in your bank, but it always shows in the quality of your life.

On 10/5/2017 at 7:28 AM, Trappeur said:

You inspire me Daisymay......

What truly wonderful thoughts and things you try and do everyday....all to shed some happiness on people just to make their day a better one.

If we all took your attitude and did what you do to bring a smile to someone even if just once in a while,  the world would be a better place to live in.

How genuine you are...is making me stop to think now....what could I do today to bring a smile to someone?

And for your samples and oils.....well, if you can afford to keep on buying (I'm just as bad as everyone else here most likely is) to support your addiction, go for it.

It brings you happiness and the anticipation/excitement of knowing the ups truck is going to be hitting your driveway today is a highlight like it is for me.  There are plenty far worse addictions to be concerned about than just a  (few) (lol, lol) samples or oils I believe.  Daisy, put your mind to ease and don't beat yourself up over this....look at how you have brightened days of others who like you said were needing a picker uppper?   If you want to get rid of some of  your oils or 1pound bottles, just go and list them here.....See how happy you would be making someone else, so all us fo ho's can buy more? lol

Please have a nice day Daisymay.  YOU deserve it! ......

Trappeur

Awwwww thank you so much Trappeur! You definitely made me smile! The thing with samples and totally know this so very wrong. I do the oob sniff and if I'm not crazy in love with it.. they will never even make it to be poured and tested. I know better. I know that scents can totally change and maybe would be amazing if put into wax. Thank you again girl!!!!!!

Hey Daisymay,

Omg the thing with samples you just talked about that you said you know better and should put them in wax as they could be so totally different?????

Omg, I'll bet you a dollar to donuts WE ALL DO THAT!!!! I know I do....Better yet....I won't bet that we all do....I KNOW we all do that!  And what do we do?Keep on ordering more and more and more because we just HAVE to have that oil...and there we all go ahead and put away in cabinets, closets, under beds, in shoe boxes, and in so many odd ball places and then we forget where we put them! :laugh2:Isn't that just horrible?  Just disgusting....lol...Ahhhh...such is life....So what's wrong with a little addiction?  Big deal!....so what....it makes us happy...We can all support one another.   I bet there are worse things that some of us don't want to even say what they do....lol...I'd like to hear some of those stories.....

Trappeur

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Trappeur said:

Hey Daisymay,

Omg the thing with samples you just talked about that you said you know better and should put them in wax as they could be so totally different?????

Omg, I'll bet you a dollar to donuts WE ALL DO THAT!!!! I know I do....Better yet....I won't bet that we all do....I KNOW we all do that!  And what do we do?Keep on ordering more and more and more because we just HAVE to have that oil...and there we all go ahead and put away in cabinets, closets, under beds, in shoe boxes, and in so many odd ball places and then we forget where we put them! :laugh2:Isn't that just horrible?  Just disgusting....lol...Ahhhh...such is life....So what's wrong with a little addiction?  Big deal!....so what....it makes us happy...We can all support one another.   I bet there are worse things that some of us don't want to even say what they do....lol...I'd like to hear some of those stories.....

Trappeur

I kept all my FO's in one cabinet and all my one ounce samples in a little drawer....until 2017.  Now I've got FO's in that cabinet in the kitchen, on a couple of shelves in my closet and another shelf in my bedroom.  And I've filled a shoebox with samples because my little drawer was crammed full.

BUT...I haven't ordered any more fragrance oils since 9/12/2017.   

Wish I could be more excited about that.  :)

• Like 1

On 10/10/2017 at 1:43 AM, Trappeur said:

Hey Daisymay,

Trappeur

Boy, you nailed me right to a tea!! I read your post and looked around for a camera or something! Like how does she know all my hiding secrets? Lmbo 

I ran out of space to put my oils and after looking at my bank report, figured it was time to slow down.......yeah, right!!!  Anyway, I did cut back on ordering and started experimenting with blending the scents I have.There are time when I use a blend in a candle and have no friggin idea what  scents I put in it.........it's such a nice surprise when the scent fills the room.  Many times I gift these candles to friends and tell them that they are one of a kind and cannot be duplicate -- makes them feel SO special...lol

Edited by Pam W

12 hours ago, Pam W said:

I ran out of space to put my oils and after looking at my bank report, figured it was time to slow down.......yeah, right!!!  Anyway, I did cut back on ordering and started experimenting with blending the scents I have.There are time when I use a blend in a candle and have no friggin idea what  scents I put in it.........it's such a nice surprise when the scent fills the room.  Many times I gift these candles to friends and tell them that they are one of a kind and cannot be duplicate -- makes them feel SO special...lol

I started doing the same, Pam.  Hoping that blending scents would satisfy my craving for new FO's.  :)  It's also a way to use a fragrance oil I don't care for by itself, like Gingerbread from Aztec.  It didn't sell well either, so I blended it with Pumpkin Souffle and a little cake, and Voila! Pumpkin Gingerbread.  

But I'm not brave enough yet just to throw some scents together and hope for the best like you.  Must be fun though when it is a smashing success.

I was going to wait until Black Friday sales to buy anything else, but I caved when I went to The Candlemaker's store last week to pick up wax and jars....I mean who can buy just boring wax and jars?  I only ordered one to pick up, Snow Cream, which I had liked years ago, and got one free one.  But I had to smell the specials, and had to buy 4 of them.  So had to make more room in my cabinets somehow.  :)

When you want to use up some of those scents that you don't care much for, you can mix up a small batch of melts; burn them and see what you get.......if it's good, go for a bigger candle, if not.....move on.  :-)

I use some of the scents in Fart Sprays for the bathroom....living with two guys that are heavy meat eaters - I appreciate ANY scent.....kwim???

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/19/2017 at 5:55 PM, Pam W said:

When you want to use up some of those scents that you don't care much for, you can mix up a small batch of melts; burn them and see what you get.......if it's good, go for a bigger candle, if not.....move on.  :-)

I use some of the scents in Fart Sprays for the bathroom....living with two guys that are heavy meat eaters - I appreciate ANY scent.....kwim???

Your post cracked me up 😀This is Halarious Fart sprays ,great for your meat eaters lmbo .

As Trappeur and Moonshine said 

there's no shame in making someone's day. I'm very much like 

you myself. It also brings me joy 

to see someone happy. Without opening a can of worms here and suggesting maybe as women we're conditioned this way 

idk ? I can only speak for myself. 

My mom is this way too, always putting me & my siblings needs before hers. Don't try to change 

who you are, afterall that's what 

makes you , you & special. 

On 11/6/2017 at 8:30 AM, katmeltswax said:

Your post cracked me up 😀This is Halarious Fart sprays ,great for your meat eaters lmbo .

My house is old...........built in 1912 and there is no vent system in the bathroom........any '''''smells'''' from the bathroom draft out into the hall and directly into my bedroom..............it's one thing to love your husband and children but it's another to have to put up with their ''''smells''' so I keep a couple bottles of room spray in the bathroom and they use it religiously or suffer Mom's rath ! ! ! 

'

22 minutes ago, Pam W said:

My house is old...........built in 1912 and there is no vent system in the bathroom........any '''''smells'''' from the bathroom draft out into the hall and directly into my bedroom..............it's one thing to love your husband and children but it's another to have to put up with their ''''smells''' so I keep a couple bottles of room spray in the bathroom and they use it religiously or suffer Mom's rath ! ! ! 

'

Lmao so funny ,your post made my day ,I laughed so hard I was near tears 😀😀😀How about put a tart burner if you have a plug in the bathroom .I love older homes ,mine was built in 1920.We have been remodeling for 18 years ,never ends .Love it thou .

On 11/8/2017 at 2:54 PM, katmeltswax said:

Lmao so funny ,your post made my day ,I laughed so hard I was near tears 😀😀😀How about put a tart burner if you have a plug in the bathroom .I love older homes ,mine was built in 1920.We have been remodeling for 18 years ,never ends .Love it thou .

We are also in an old farmhouse...built around 1900??  It has that "old house musty smell" at certain temps outside...humid days etc..thankfully we don't get the "washroom" smell (except IN the washroom lol.  That's how I got into candle making...have nice scents all the time..We burn a lot of candles!!..I also make some incense, and reed diffusers.  

IMG_0013.JPG

• Like 2

OMG Gary!   Love love love your farmhouse!.....It's sooo me.. I've been searching the internet for a little farmhouse for myself when I move back to Maine which should be this coming year.  Oh it is so charming your home.   My favorite home is a board and batten which I see yours is and my most favorite tree is a pine, but especially the Blue Spruce which I see is in your front yard.   And that white picket fence is just oh so romantic and cozy....In the upper left hand corner of the picture is a roof to something...what?   I can just imagine the inside.  When you going to post those pictures? lol  Thanks for sharing Gary.....

Trappeur

Love your good deed every day!  I'm so random with it, this may just be my New Year resolution.

We all have this bad habit of buying too much fo.  I've scaled way back. Sound like you're overwhelmed with the amount you have.  I went through and picked approx 30 best sellers at 6 suppliers (now 5 since Peak closed) and I'm trying to stick with those.  I waited about 6 months to be sure there were no requests for any of the scents I dropped and then I boxed them up and ran an ad on Craig's list.  I ended up trading a local soaper for a bunch of her soaps which was a win-win in my eyes.  She wanted to start candles and I was able to help her out with not just fo but literally 4 boxes of supplies I simply didn't use anymore.  Once you "clean out" and can work effeciently, you get more done.   Oh and stay away from the posts that say "sale" at a supplier or you will just buy more, lol.

15 hours ago, Gary in Canada said:

We are also in an old farmhouse...built around 1900??  It has that "old house musty smell" at certain temps outside...humid days etc..thankfully we don't get the "washroom" smell (except IN the washroom lol.  That's how I got into candle making...have nice scents all the time..We burn a lot of candles!!..I also make some incense, and reed diffusers.  

IMG_0013.JPG

Love your farmhouse ,looks so cozy .I will post mine as soon as I can get some free time 😁 Do diffusers work well ? I have always wanted to make these .I know sounds like a dumb question but what kind of fragrance oils do you use to make the diffusers? I have zero knowledge on these lol. Thought maybe essential oils idk ????Help and thank you bunches .

9 hours ago, katmeltswax said:

Love your farmhouse ,looks so cozy .I will post mine as soon as I can get some free time 😁 Do diffusers work well ? I have always wanted to make these .I know sounds like a dumb question but what kind of fragrance oils do you use to make the diffusers? I have zero knowledge on these lol. Thought maybe essential oils idk ????Help and thank you bunches .

Thanks Kat...looking forward to seeing your farmhouse too... I bought the reeds (inexpensive) from our local supplier...I mix it with the reed diffuser base 25% fragrance and 75 base..but you only make up a small amount,...pour it into a small narrow  bottle of some sort..and add about 8 reeds.  I stir it every couple of days, and turn the reeds over about once a week.  Right now I have had this going in our entrance way for about a month!  The fragrance I used for that one was Maple Sugar from New Directions, which is very strong. It is a welcoming scent when you come home and open the door and you have that Maple Syrup type smell.  You can use any FO or EO... I have the "Diffuser Base" but it can get a little costly so I bought a bottle of safflower oil which is supposed to work good too...although I haven't tried it yet.