What is your preferred jar?

Okay, I have been searching and searching for the "jar" that I will stick with. I have looked at several different stores on-line and I cannot seem to find the one that screams Me!!!! I really really like the Balmoral jars and the whisper jars (which have close to the same shape). But, I am worried that most of those jars will require more than one wick. I am wanting one style of jar to "master" and wanted something with a little more flair than just the jelly jar. I am not wanting too big, because I don't want the candle to last forever.

So, I said all that just to ask what is everyone's preferred jar? Do you have a favorite, not neccesarily easiest, because once I pick out "my jar", I will test and test to get it right, so easiest is not really a concern. I started out with the apothecary jars, but they seem a little to - everyday - to me.

Or if someone can confirm that with the right wick a 3.5" diameter will not need more than one wick, I may give in and go with the 11.75oz Whisper jars.

But, I am really just looking for opinions. Please and thank you.

Nothing holding over 12 oz. Straight sides or slight taper toward bottom. No cover threads. No shoulders. Height not much more than diameter. Diameter of about 3". No stem. Bottom not much more than twice as thick as sides. Round. Glass. Local pickup. Low cost.

Edited by Stella1952

The only jars that seem to sell in my area consistantly are the 16oz apothecary jars with double wicks (w/ palm). Probably has something to do with we are in the area that y*nkee started in and that is what the customers are used to.

When I first started I used the honey pot jars. I loved them but couldn't find a label that I could apply smoothly. AS a result I had to do hang tags that just got banged up going back & forth to shows. Made for ALOT of extra work replacing them when they get too raggedy. Just throwing it out there because labeling possibilities are something I always think about now before doing ANY testing. If I can't easily apply a label to the container then wax never even makes it in the container to begin testing.

Thanks for all the responses. I have ordered me a set of 9oz oval hexagon jars to see how I like those. Unfortunately I do not have a decent supplier anywhere near me, so I have to pay shipping. But, Candle Science seems to have some really great shipping rates and actually counteracts what I would spend in gas driving anywhere; since I do live in the middle of nowhere.

Me too! But I like the liitle 4ozers.

What are the little 4 ozers? The 7.5 oz Libbey Elemental jar holds about 4.5 oz of wax, and they are at Lone Star and Hobby Lobby. Is it the same jar? I recently got 5 cases from Hobby Lobby on a 50% off sale, so they were only 70 cents each including tax. But, I would have to order the glass lids, and don't know if it's worth it, except to make sniff testers. I may wrap them in cello bags.

http://www.lonestarcandlesupply.com/products/CandleContainers_Libbey-Elemental-Jar-7.25oz.html

Edited by HorsescentS

That must be the same one! They are adorable. I'm considering the lid issue also. Thanks for the link!

What are the little 4 ozers? The 7.5 oz Libbey Elemental jar holds about 4.5 oz of wax, and they are at Lone Star and Hobby Lobby. Is it the same jar? I recently got 5 cases from Hobby Lobby on a 50% off sale, so they were only 70 cents each including tax. But, I would have to order the glass lids, and don't know if it's worth it, except to make sniff testers. I may wrap them in cello bags.

http://www.lonestarcandlesupply.com/products/CandleContainers_Libbey-Elemental-Jar-7.25oz.html

Horsescents gave us the link: http://www.lonestarcandlesupply.com/...ar-7.25oz.html You'll find it tells of 2 different types of lids that fit the jar. If I find any different I'll post too.

I am definitely warming up to the Elemental jars, they would make great samplers being that they hold about 4.5 oz and could be sold fairly inexpensively. A top would be great, if anyone finds one that fits I'd love to hear about it.

Edited by ChandlerWicks
just because

That must be the same one! They are adorable. I'm considering the lid issue also. Thanks for the link!

Maybe I'm imagining things, but I could've sworn I saw the silver lids on Lone Star for those jars too, not just the glass ones, but now I only see the glass ones. I've been planning to call Lone Star and ask about that. Maybe some supplier has a silver lid for those.

I've got three jars that I stick with. I like the tureens (despite that they are hard to wick). I really like the balmoral jars because they have a great hot throw and are on sale (shipping sale) from time to time. And I like the status jars because they are very affordable from generalwax. Those are the mainstays. I do play around with some dollar store jars from time to time. I look for a wide base so they don't tip and a wide melt pool for HT. A slight neck on the jar seems to get a good air circulation (balmoral type).

For some reason, the masons have not caught my eye too much even though they are cheap and easy to buy locally.

I'd be interested if you search them out. TIA!

Maybe I'm imagining things, but I could've sworn I saw the silver lids on Lone Star for those jars too, not just the glass ones, but now I only see the glass ones. I've been planning to call Lone Star and ask about that. Maybe some supplier has a silver lid for those.

I'd be interested if you search them out. TIA!

I can't find any silver covers for the Libbey Elemental jar, so far, but here are the cheapest glass covers: http://www.earlyamericancandlesupplies.com/item/Libbey_372_7_25_oz_Elemental_Jar/347/p9

For this type of jar we probably have to search for "covers" instead of lids, and we'd look for a cover that fits the outside diameter of the neck of the jar.

At Early American Candles, the Libbey flat cover is on sale for 60 cents each, the Libbey dome is a bit more, and the flat Anchor Hocking cover is the cheapest, but I don't like it as much as the Libbeys.

Since I only paid 70 cents each for my jars, on sale, I'm not sure I want to add another 60 cents plus shipping for each cover. I could get 70 Libbey flat covers shipped to me for $54.00.

There's not much profit margin on a small candle like these, so what I'd really like to find is the disposable plastic covers for this size jar, but Fillmore Containers only has the large sizes. Does anybody know who sells the medium plastic cover? I think the outside diameter of the neck is aprox 2-1/2 inches.