Is a Presto Pot a "Must have tool"?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Me 3. Double boilers are a PITA, slow to melt wax, especially higher point or pour temp waxes (ie. palm), need constant monitoring to make sure the water hasn't boiled off, can introduce water into the wax via steam & condensation, and generally make a bigger mess. A Presto, Fry Daddy or Fry Baby is the hot setup and will save you much mess and aggravation. I used a pot of water and tin vegetable cans for several months, until the kind folks at CT recommended the Presto. I saw the light immediately!!! That's not to say that a double boiler doesn't come in handy for certain tasks in candlemaking - it's just NOT the tool of choice for melting wax.

I don't recommend the spigot. IMHO, it is SNUP (serves no useful purpose) and makes a hole in the pot, which sooner or later, will leak. I also do not want to have to keep a spigot cleaned out. The ladle works just fine, any drips go right back in the pot, and I'll bet I can fill a pour pot quicker with a ladle than a spigot...

is there a step-by-step anywhere for good instructions?

If you are asking for instruction on adding a spigot, if you search the forums and the archives, you should be able to locate this information.

Crazy talk to say the spigot is not needed. That's like buying a car with no AC in Arizona. Yes it works, but it's stupid!! Unless your interested in making 2 candles at a time, the spigot is an absolute necessity. I used 4 PP, each with a spigot. I can actually connect all 4 PP together with plastic tubing and pour 30 lbs at a time (which I have never had the need to do as yet). The spigot does not need to be cleaned. Ever! The wax flows out and leaves such an insignificantly thin film, that it cannot affect the next scent you use. Be smart. Go to peakcandles.com. Search keyword Presto and it will give you a step by step. Ladles are so 18th century!!

Sorry Robert but I have to disagree with you. It really depends on how you are using the presto pot. For me.... I melt two pounds at a time ... when melted I pick it up and pour the wax into my pour pot. While that batch is cooling to pour temp I start another batch melting. I do not mix wax, FO and dye in the presto... wax only. I should have just bought the regular ones without the spigot. The spigot was a waste of money for me as I've never used it or needed to use it.

Jo

Just depends, I see your point for you LadyJo - but I use mine a little differently. I too only have wax in it, no dyes, FO or anything but wax. But I have about 4 -5 pounds in it and once it is melted/up to temp I get started for the day. I'll use the spigot to get about 2 -3 pounds for my first project and replace that immediately to melt/get to temp for my next project. Which it is by the time I get the first project poured and cooling. This way I can go all day steadily. My spigot has never clogged, the only thing with it is you have to wait for the wax to be about 170 degress in the pot before it too is melted and therefore flowing freely.

I no longer use my presto for wax but store my palm oil for soap making. Both my presto and my turkey fryer have spigots and they work flawlessly. I put fine mesh over the interior spigot hole to keep trash out and never have a problem with it stopping up. I tare out my coffee carafe and pour wax into it and weigh it out and leave it on one of my double burners with an oven probe thermometer in it to monitor temp. This gives me more than enough time to stir in fo and color and then get my jars wicked and pour on my scale and I'm done. The spigot is very easy to install and my presto has never leaked in 6 years. Go to the hardware store and get a drill bit for punching through the aluminum and a spigot and some J&B weld and the next day you are ready to go. There are some instructions on the net just plug in presto pot spigot and you should get it. I don't have the steady hands to ladle wax (tried it and it was too messy). HTH

Steve

Next item on my "need to buy" wish list - a presto pot.

Although, after reading everything and looking at the instructions on Peak Candle, I am still undecided about a spout.... I can see pros and cons. so, I am guessing it is a personal prefrence and not a right/wrog kinda thing.

Go to the hardware store and get a drill bit for punching through the aluminum and a spigot and some J&B weld and the next day you are ready to go. There are some instructions on the net just plug in presto pot spigot and you should get it.

Absolutely....the JB weld works great (grind off teflon though!!) My super hero guy made this one and it is perfect!!

post-13884-139458487126_thumb.jpg

post-13884-139458487131_thumb.jpg

I have many presto pots all but one have spigots. I absolutely hate using the one without b/c it's too much of an accident waiting to happen. I'm waiting for the day when I end up pouring it everywhere but where it should be. I melt my wax only in the pots, add my color, FO etc after it's out of the pot. The only time it has ever clogged is when I did some wax dipped bears and what little leftover wax I had hardened and clogged it. I took a wooden skewer and pushed it through with no problem. I got my ones with spigots from Aztek. They come with the spigots already done. My suggestion would be to get one already with the spigot attached and try for yourself both ways, (using the spigot and not using it) and determine which way you prefer. Just because it has a spigot does not mean you have to use it. You can turn the spigot to where it's not going to flow and pick up the pot and pour or ladle. I personally have never tried the ladle b/c it just seemed like more work than needed. Plus that's another thing to clean afterwards.

You're talking $20.00 at Walmart and prolly about $5.00 to $10.00 to install a spout for a way to melt 7-8 pounds of wax in a heartbeat. I do hate the teflon cause eventually it flakes in your wax but by that time you've gotten more than your money's worth. Trust me, would I lie to you?

Steve

Edited by chuck_35550

We use both - presto pots AND the double boiler method - the latter being mainly for pouring multiple coloured pillars. We usually only use the pots to melt the wax and do all the colouring and scenting in metal bowls.

I ladle the wax out of the pots and there's one thing that I like about this and that's my knowledge that the ladle I use I know will scoop up approximately 100 grams of liquid wax.

This comes in handy for me -as a guide, because we've had so many problems with scales (bought so many different types!) so I make sure what the scales are saying match what I'm counting as I ladle and that way I know my scales are behaving themselves!

If I lay some baking paper across the area I am ladle -ing any spills can be put back in the pot so there's no wasted wax.