Is a Presto Pot a "Must have tool"?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We just pour the wax (yep, tip the hot pot up) directly into our pour pot
This is a VERY DANGEROUS way to transfer HOT wax to a pour pot. I don't care whether you use a spigot or a ladle, THIS is very unsafe and I hope you will change this bad habit BEFORE someone gets burned! The ONLY time I ever tip a hot pot is when there is a very small amount of wax left in it that cannot be easily ladled - like a half pound or less.

Another consideration about spigots is that one has to leave enough room underneath them to position a container into which to drain the wax.

You have two options:

position the Presto with the spigot hanging over the edge of the table

raise the Presto so a container can be positioned underneath it.

I gave myself a third choice: don't drill holes into the Presto, don't use a slow spigot, and position the Prestos anywhere I want in my work area.

Crazy talk to say the spigot is not needed.... I can actually connect all 4 PP together with plastic tubing and pour 30 lbs at a time (which I have never had the need to do as yet).

Plastic tubing, Robert? Really? And you mentioned "crazy talk"?

Huh? So high temp plastic tubing, connected so they cannot detach is crazy?

Lets get real here. The only excuses I've heard against using a spigot is cost ( if u can't afford 5 to 10 bucks u r in the wrong hobby), or the even more silly reason you dont want to damage your pot (which after the first wax melt has been rendered useless for anything else forever!) Crazy talk if I've ever heard it.

Huh? So high temp plastic tubing, connected so they cannot detach is crazy?

Lets get real here. The only excuses I've heard against using a spigot is cost ( if u can't afford 5 to 10 bucks u r in the wrong hobby), or the even more silly reason you dont want to damage your pot (which after the first wax melt has been rendered useless for anything else forever!) Crazy talk if I've ever heard it.

Wow if you ever do use the tubing, please post a picture of the set up!!

I put my prestos on small crates, it is the perfect height for my jars.

Here is a picture, my handy dh installed the spigots.

post-1465-139458487149_thumb.jpg

I don't recommend the spigot. IMHO, it is SNUP (serves no useful purpose) and makes a hole in the pot, which sooner or later, will leak. I also do not want to have to keep a spigot cleaned out. The ladle works just fine, any drips go right back in the pot, and I'll bet I can fill a pour pot quicker with a ladle than a spigot...

If you are asking for instruction on adding a spigot, if you search the forums and the archives, you should be able to locate this information.

I wouldn't dream in a million years of using one without a spigot. Not a chance of the proverbial snowball... I've never, ever, ever had one leak. They last forever.

There's absolutely no need to fool around with installing the spigot when they're widely available with spigot installed.

Check Ebay. Check Heartfelt (if they're still in business).

Robert, I realize that wax rarely is melted over 200 degrees. The exception might be microcrystaline or gel. So high temp plastic sounds good, but keep in mind that the pot itself goes much higher in temp and if you are going to modify a pot with a product that does not hold up to the pot's capability. If there is ever a product liability issue, the modification will be a defense to the pot manufacturer. I have to assume that somebody, somewhere, sometime might over temp the pot and melt the plastic so you won't catch me doing that. So I respectfully disagree, I think it is crazy to use plastic for that purpose. Now a plastic high temp ladle that is only in contact with the wax is probably OK.

I think we did see some legitimate reasons to not use a spigot. I mentioned one - clogging. If I make hurricanes with 165 degree wax or micro for wick priming, it gets into the spigot. If I then use the pot for low temp container wax, it never gets hot enough to melt the wax in the spigot and I don't want to overheat the wax. So since I'm only using one pot and not multiple ones, I run into this problem. Also, the spigot that came with my pot is not parallel to a plumb bob when the pot is level so it pours funny and I don't always like that. Hence I tend to use a ladle a lot.

I agree about not tipping the pot unless it is the last little bit that a ladle won't pick up. Definitely a bad habit that will eventually result in a spill. I hope nobody here gets burned and for goodness sake, watch the cat under your feet when you're assuming the risk.

I started out not using a spigot because I was too lazy to drill it out. When I did, I drilled all my presto pots out. I cant imagine never using a spigot again either. I have never had any teflon peel off or have one clog up. The wax in the spigot melts as your melting your wax. I have 2 for container wax and 2 for melts and votives. I NEVER EVER mix F/O or DYE in my presto's. Strictly plain wax. I use pouring pots either small or large depending on how much I need to pour. I have scales under each pot and thats how I weigh out what I need.

I would love to see Roberts set up linking 2 or more together!! Please post pics of your setup if you wouldnt mind. Sounds interesting.

Mike

Next item on my "need to buy" wish list - a presto pot.

Although, after reading everything and looking at the instructions on Peak Candle, I am still undecided about a spout.... I can see pros and cons. so, I am guessing it is a personal prefrence and not a right/wrog kinda thing.

Right! It is a matter of preference, and everyone has an opinion - figure out what works for you and go with it!! :yay:

Robert, I realize that wax rarely is melted over 200 degrees. The exception might be microcrystaline or gel. So high temp plastic sounds good, but keep in mind that the pot itself goes much higher in temp and if you are going to modify a pot with a product that does not hold up to the pot's capability. If there is ever a product liability issue, the modification will be a defense to the pot manufacturer. I have to assume that somebody, somewhere, sometime might over temp the pot and melt the plastic so you won't catch me doing that. So I respectfully disagree, I think it is crazy to use plastic for that purpose.

Eric,

Since I am not one of the "lawsuit crazy" Americans who are always looking for a way to make money, how could there ever be a product lawsuit liability issue? That's beyond absurd. I see no problem with being cautious. Ridiculously overcautious is ok too. As long as it doesn't affect my productivity, you can melt your wax with a hair dryer!!

By the way.....My plastic tubing is rated at 300 degrees (which means it will take 400 to 500), and my pot is NEVER set at a higher temp then 200 degrees (in case anyone is losing sleep over the immanent loss of my house due to hot wax being released all over my nice hard wood floor!) Only the heating element in the PP gets very hot. The rest of the pot will be at whatever temp the wax is (including the spigot).

Edited by robertgibbens

I use a Presto Pot when pouring a small amount of candles. I use a ladle and have no issues. Also, the ladle holds 5 ounces of palm wax, so when I transfer to my pour pots, I have a good idea how much wax is in it before I weigh it. I add FO and dye to the pour pot, not the presto. For larger pours, I use the old turkey fryer (with a spigot). I actually have the materials here to add a spigot to the Presto, just never got around to it. Oh, and just to stir up the hornets nest...I melt small amounts of wax directly in the pour pot on a hot plate! Let the fun begin...

Oh, and just to stir up the hornets nest...I melt small amounts of wax directly in the pour pot on a hot plate! Let the fun begin...
So are you saying you ADVISE new people or the general public to do this, Steve? You think it's perfectly okay, despite warnings from manufacturers, fire departments, etc. about NOT doing this? If someone burns their house down taking your advice, that's perfectly fine with you? :rolleyes2

Is there nothing on television tonight? :rolleyes2

I don't advise anyone to do it. Just saying I do. But I also play with IED's in the desert and get shot at by people, too. Don't advise people to do that either. Lot's on TV tonight, multi-tasking! Oh, and pouring votives, too.

One problem with the spigot that you young folks won't have a problem with is the "auto memory function". You open the spigot and it's not hot enough to flow freely and you turn around a forget to close the spigot. The auto memory function on the valve malfunctions and all of a sudden you have hot wax running out in the floor. Got to be a valve malfunction as I am confident my memory is not that bad - yet. I have spigots on all of mine, but I like the ladle idea for a more exact measurement. Also, just saw a Wal-Mart on line add for a new Turkey Fryer, stainless steel pot that holds 20 lbs (I think, I'm working from memory - surely it wasn't 20 gals.), a spigot for cleaning, super fast heat-up, thermostat dial on the front, looks real nice. Believe it was $164.00.

I'm positive there is an old thread on this board where this happened to someone... Got to go find that! I'm having fun reading this thread. I'm still using the double boiler method but someday if I pour lots of candles, I may get a Presto. Based on snowman's post, no spigot I think....:laugh2:

I don't advise anyone to do it. Just saying I do. But I also play with IED's in the desert and get shot at by people, too. Don't advise people to do that either. Lot's on TV tonight, multi-tasking! Oh, and pouring votives, too.

LOL, that was funny, Steve.

I don't have a spigot either - don't need one - don't want one. Now if I were into mass production, it might be a different story. I ladle the wax from the presto to the pour pot sitting on the scale then set that in a pan of hot water to keep at desired temps while I add dye & FO.

I don't have a spigot either - don't need one - don't want one. Now if I were into mass production, it might be a different story. I ladle the wax from the presto to the pour pot sitting on the scale then set that in a pan of hot water to keep at desired temps while I add dye & FO.

This is the way I do it. My 3 pots of different waxes (uncoloured and unscented) but would consider a 4th pot for mixing in those ingredients if I ever needed to make a big, uniform batch.

Now I am scared of spigots after reading those threads, lol. Because as scattered as I am normally - I can see me pouring wax all over my floor. I can also see my cats walking through it and tracking it everwhere. Oh my my my!!! They are already all in my business when I do anything, even when it involves hot things.

I'm positive there is an old thread on this board where this happened to someone... Got to go find that! I'm having fun reading this thread. I'm still using the double boiler method but someday if I pour lots of candles, I may get a Presto. Based on snowman's post, no spigot I think....:laugh2:

Someone smart enough to know who Dennis Moore is is smart enough to use a spigot.

lol

#1 Python fan here.

Dennis Moore, Dennis Moore

Galloping through the sward

Dennis Moore, Dennis Moore

And his horse Concorde

He steals from the rich

And gives to the poor

Mr. Moore, Mr. Moore, Mr. Moore