Kimberly's Whipped Shea Recipe

wildangel112

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello,

I was reading about the whipped Shea butter receipe and sounds good. Mine always come out too greasy and with corn starch feel too silky. What is Dry flo and can you use natrasorb or a wax instead of the cornstarch:confused: ? I like the butter oily but not greasy, of course, I have not tried this receipe. I don't have the Dry flo and other butters. Only have shea and cocoa butter at the moment. I like butter balm if anyone knows of a good receipe that you may know for whipped butter balm. Thanks and Happy mother's Day! ;) Deb

• 4 months later...
I'm getting ready to make this replacing the Hemp butter with Mango Butter. I was wondering if this would make a good After Sun moisturizer? Thanks

LOL...I know this is a little late for input. But Shea is WONDERFUL for sunburns. My Godson is very fair skinned and he swears by this stuff as it is the only thing that gave him relief when he was in boot camp.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Finally whipped up a batch of this with FCO, RBO, grapeseed and some vit. E to keep it shelf stable. I'm lovin' it! Think I might have overdone the FO a bit, Southern Soapers Vanilla Grapefruit is some powerful stuff.

I used half unrefined and half refined shea because I was worried about the smell but, boy, with that FO, I think I could have used the full 12 oz. of unrefined and been just fine.

I started whipping during the snowstorm we had this weekend and just filled a bowl with freshly fallen snow to cool the whipping process. Worked like a dream and now I have something to remember this winter by. :cheesy2:

Thanks so much for keeping this formulation alive. It's a keeper!

• 1 month later...

What a great thread, shall be trying this tomorrow.

I don't have everything needed for the recipe, but shall use

shea butter

sweet almond oil

mmmmm pink sugar or ambrosia fo and cornstarch

is it ok to put it in candle tins when finished? I haven't got as far as ordering any pots or tubs yet

thanks Kimberly

What a great thread' date=' shall be trying this tomorrow.

I don't have everything needed for the recipe, but shall use

shea butter

sweet almond oil

mmmmm pink sugar or ambrosia fo and cornstarch

is it ok to put it in candle tins when finished? I haven't got as far as ordering any pots or tubs yet

thanks Kimberly[/quote']

If you are uysing for your own use, I would say go for it! I am a bit leary of putting anything in tin that someone may use in the shower. But I know of others that do and it works fine for them.

If you are using almond oil for your oil then you may want to use a little more cornstarch. When ya get the chance order some Fractionated Coconut oil...makes it less greasy. Good luck! Wow! my recipe has made it overseas! LOL

Let me know how it turns out for ya...have fun!

Hi Kimberly,

I have some coconut oil coming tomorrow, although not sure if its fractionate or not (makes not to self, find out what the difference is ;) )

It's only for me and a couple of family testers so far. I'm new to soaps and b&b and have to get everything certified. It's just a whipped body cream type 'thingy' was one of the things I definately wanted to try.

Yep, your expertise has made it over to the other side of the pond :D

willl let you know how it goes.

I've been told that corn starch is actually corn flour in the uk, hope thats right lol.

Off to scour these recipes for more things to make.

thanks xx

• 2 weeks later...

update on this recipe:

I didn't have everything on the list, but just had to try it :D (halved all the ingredients)

I used

7oz shea butter (no hempseed butter)

1oz mango butter

2 1/2oz sweet almond oil

2 tsp cornstarch (didn't want it to be greasy so used 2 to be on safe side)

1/2oz Sugar Frosting fo, (go on, ask me why on earth I used a bakery fo in a body product, dunno lol)

I've left this a while, and just tried it.

It soaks in well after about 10mins, no residue on skin, and skin does feel soft, even if I smell like a bakery ;)

However, when you apply it, boy is it greasy!

I need to re-jig this somehow to make it less greasy, and nicer smelling ;)

So far, so good. Arms haven't fallen off and skin still intact ;)

• 3 months later...

Mango butter is not as greasy as shea butter, maybe you should add more mango and less shea butter. I don't know if you are wanting to keep your whipped shea butter ingredients to a mininmum but I would go with some light base oils like coc oil (not to much can cause dryness) and sun oil, to me they absorb better into the skin and also minimizes the greasy feelings of the butter.

Ok, don't laugh...been whipping for an hour. I don't think it was cool enough, but it certainly wasn't warm anymore when I started! It still is liquidy, is this how it should be after whipping? Now I see the need to use the stand mixer instead of the handheld (which does have a whisk attachment). Oh My!:shocked2:

I made this the other day with a variety of butters. I used all babassu for the oils and this stuff rocks. The best I have every made. First time using babassu in a butter. Awesome. Tomorrow I am going to try it with some of those exotic butters I got samples of.

Ok, don't laugh...been whipping for an hour. I don't think it was cool enough, but it certainly wasn't warm anymore when I started! It still is liquidy, is this how it should be after whipping? Now I see the need to use the stand mixer instead of the handheld (which does have a whisk attachment). Oh My!:shocked2:

No it should not still be liquid, It should end up like marshmallow fluff. It gets a little stiffer in a day or so, but still melts on your skin instantly. This is definitely where a stand mixer comes in handy.

I used some of the pumpkin butter I got in the co-op in a batch the other day, and the jar I'm using isn't quite as hard as when I stick with mainly shea, mango, and avocado. I don't know if that butter is the only reason, though, because I also used 5 different oils instead of just mainly sao and grapeseed.

No it should not still be liquid, It should end up like marshmallow fluff. It gets a little stiffer in a day or so, but still melts on your skin instantly. This is definitely where a stand mixer comes in handy.

I should have factored in that it was almost 80 in our house. I had to put it into the fridge 3 times for 10-20 minutes each time, mixing in between just to get it stiff enough to whip. 2 1/2 hours later...lol...it whipped! Next time, I'm not going to melt completely, just soften the butters and then add the oil etc and whip. I saw a video on u-tube where the lady didn't even soften the shea, just whipped her stuff right into it and she was done quickly. Of course I found all these videos AFTER I made the batch :angry2: mad at myself for not looking first.