Kimberly's Whipped Shea Recipe

wildangel112

This recipe absolutley ROCKS!!!!! Thanks for sharing! I made my version of this using the prime cocoa butter I got in the co-op, OMG!!!!!:shocked2: It is so awesome I love it. It is a little harder than I really would like it to be but I know that comes from the high CB and it is REALLY cold in my house all the time. I used it last night after my shower and I can still feel the moisturising 12 hours later!

I'm off to try a version with my pumpkin butter now!

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi just curious is your whipped shea like a lotion? or a shave cream? I'm trying to find a recipe that matches one that I saw at a craft show, the woman's shea butter was pure white and very creamy.

This like ...hmmmmmm...I would say more of a shaving cream consistency.

I use a Kitchen Aid mixer with the whipping attachment, I have aslo used a regular mixer.

• 2 weeks later...

Made a batch of this the other night and it is awesome! Light and fluffy! Goes on Greasy but sinks in nicely in about 5 minutes. Here are my subs:

6 oz. Golden Shea Butter(painya)

6 oz. Mango Butter

4 oz. Lemon Extract Butter

5 oz. oil

2oz jojoba oil

1oz grapeseed oil

1oz meadowfoam-shea oil

1oz AKO

2 tsp. cornstarch

I am trying another batch tonight with oils that are supposed to be good for Psoriasis.:D

Thanks, I have the hand mixer and the shea, so now I've got to get started experimenting.

Since I'm new to shea butters, it seems there are several types; correct? Normally I buy a container from the vendors at ethnic fests.

Does shea need to be "melted" a bit to get it to whip?

Thanks, I have the hand mixer and the shea, so now I've got to get started experimenting.

Since I'm new to shea butters, it seems there are several types; correct? Normally I buy a container from the vendors at ethnic fests.

Does shea need to be "melted" a bit to get it to whip?

Some people melt the shea...some people dont. I DO because I think it takes out the "graininess". WHen I didnt melt the butters, the end product came out really grainy.

As far as the Shea goes... I prefer refined shea because I can not stand the smell of unrefined shea...but that is just my preference.

Made a batch of this the other night and it is awesome! Light and fluffy! Goes on Greasy but sinks in nicely in about 5 minutes. Here are my subs:

6 oz. Golden Shea Butter(painya)

6 oz. Mango Butter

4 oz. Lemon Extract Butter

5 oz. oil

2oz jojoba oil

1oz grapeseed oil

1oz meadowfoam-shea oil

1oz AKO

2 tsp. cornstarch

I am trying another batch tonight with oils that are supposed to be good for Psoriasis.:D

This is great! To me, this is what it is all about...taking a basic recipe and then tweaking it to make it your own!

I did make up a batch for my Godson and his father for their Psoriasis and they swear by it. Just a FYI...my origional recipe is awesome for Sunburns. My GodSon is VERY fair skinned and he loads up with my shea for the summer months. He is now in the Army Reserves and his whole barracks uses it now...lol

HAVE FUN!!!!!

Where do you guys reco that I buy the ingredients (cheap); I live in Chicago, is there someplace here that I can buy it. Aloe, I know I can get from the health food stores.

Kangaroo Blue is close to you. I buy my butters from oilsbynature.com

If you are wanting Aloe Juice...it is cheaper at Walmart than at most health food stores.

I use aloe juice in my lotions as well. I don't use it as the full amount of water because it's so expensive. But then again, I get mine at the local health food co-op.

They sell it at Walmart? I may have to take a look! :) Where did they have it? Near the beauty aisle near the witch hazel, etc?

Is it ok to remelt a batch of this that has the cornstarch & EO in it and a bit of Liquipar? I can't smell the EO anyway so I was going to add more of that, just not sure what will happen with the cornstarch and preservative in it.

I don't like the way my last batch feels- too oily - and it came out the best as far as consistency and whipped like a charm - it figures! Maybe I just need to get some Dry-Flo instead of using corn starch?

how much cornstarch are you using? I use CS and it works perfectly. I don't know about remelting though - I don't see why it would hurt to just add more EO to it and whip it up again.

It's not the cornstarch so much because I've made a dozen batches or so and this is the first one that is too greasy for me. I'm more concerned about remelting with the preservative...not sure if anything funky will happen since you add preservative after it's cool. I think I'll try just a couple ounces of it remelted and add more butter to it, that way I don't waste a whole 1.5# if it doesn't work out. I use about 60-70% shea and 30-40% mango butter and this time tried jojoba, Apricot kernal and grapeseed oils, but I was short about 1.5 oz on butter and it's just too much oil...didn't think to cut back on the oil, working too fast. I have to add a little preservative because my sister (who is my best tester) always manages to get water into her product. Then I hear about the little green specks that have appeared in her butter!

Ahh, I missed the preservative part. I know the preservative I work with has a max temp that I can add it without harming it. I'm not sure what liquipar's temp range is, but that would be where I'd start.

I wonder if you just melt the butter you're missing from your original recipe by itself and let it cool. Then add it to your already made lotion and whip it up again. That way you don't have to worry about messing up your preservative properties.

Your cornstarch will pry have to be upped too because of the missing butters. I know I put quite a bit of cornstarch in mine and while it looks like a lot when I'm adding all the ingredients together, it comes out perfect. I like to let mine sit for a day or so though to let everything settle. Normally I can feel the graininess of the cornstarch just a tiny bit, but after a day, that feeling is gone.

Ahh, I missed the preservative part. I know the preservative I work with has a max temp that I can add it without harming it. I'm not sure what liquipar's temp range is, but that would be where I'd start.

I wonder if you just melt the butter you're missing from your original recipe by itself and let it cool. Then add it to your already made lotion and whip it up again. That way you don't have to worry about messing up your preservative properties.

Your cornstarch will pry have to be upped too because of the missing butters. I know I put quite a bit of cornstarch in mine and while it looks like a lot when I'm adding all the ingredients together, it comes out perfect. I like to let mine sit for a day or so though to let everything settle. Normally I can feel the graininess of the cornstarch just a tiny bit, but after a day, that feeling is gone.

Well see...that's why this board is so great! My feeble mind didn't even think to just melt more butter, let it cool and then whip it all together! I will add a bit more cornstarch too because I think it needs it. :D Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:highfive:

• 1 year later...

I know this is a really old thread, but I have a question and didn't think it needed a new thread. When whipping with a stand mixer, do you use the wire whip or the flat beater? I want to purchase a bowl and beater/whip just for B&B but want to make sure I have the right one. Thanks!

Is anyone selling shea butter at craft shows? and how's it going for you? I'm thinking about re-entering craft shows again....haven't done it for a few years because there wasn't any money in it. (when you factor in the time and booth cost)