What scent do you hate to make?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I truly hate and I mean hate with a passion "wine and roses" OMG GROSS. I had to make this for a wedding and I literally had to leave my home once I poured it b/c it made me so sick to my stomach. Nothing like having all your windows and doors opened in mid Oct. just b/c of a scent.

I also do not like patchouli!! And alot of florals..but I stay away from wine and roses and patchouli.

Diane

I'm reading through all these posts about scents making you gag, get nauseous, headaches, belly aches, burning eyes, etc. all those symptoms sound like toxicity & allergic reactions.

I only see one person who wears a respirator while pouring. My question is does wearing a respirator help?

I want to try making candles but I know already I'm sensitive to scents and I've worn regular masks while making soap, but I'm not dealing with a huge amount of FO's in a little soap batch. I'll buy a respirator if it works to eliminate those symptoms you all are describing.

Ocean and apple FO's make me ill. :sad2:

Headaches, burning throat and eyes. I agree about the respirator possibly helping. Even with open windows, fans and vent above my work area I started having frequent headaches. This is one of the reason I had to stop selling candles. I just can't tolerate making large quanity of candles any longer.

Apple. And, especially "Apple Jack & Peel".

Something about apple cider smells make me sick to the stomach - though I can handle "pumpkin pie" and "red hot cinnamon" - the apple just makes me gag. Even Apple Orchard. But people love it...

• 7 months later...

For me it's anything with baby powder in it. At first, I absolutely LOVED baby powder, but I made a ton of candles a few weeks ago for a friend, while I had a sinus infection- so I felt like I could TASTE it instead of smell it. Now, I can't even stand it. I know a lot of people LOVE this scent, so I will continue making and selling it because as long as I do a few batches, my house won't smell too much like baby powder. Hopefully, I will get over this, because I do remember loving it before I got sick and tasted it.

can't stand Rose.....never bought the oil and cross my fingers nobody requests it(so far so good)

I love the actual flower and don't mind the scent but the FO is nasty to my nose...and gives me nasty headaches.

I get alot of requests for Clean Cotton and I've gotten to the point were I don't like that either but....ya gotta do what ya gotta do if they want it.

My least favorite are Lavender, Clean Cotton (I don't care for or Fresh Linen),

but Chocolate Kisses always gave me an instant headache. Now I found a chocolate that doesn't. Campfire S'mores is not a favorite either but I pour it.

Otherwise I don't have any that I will not pour or cannot stand. I feel pretty lucky after reading all the posts of the scents that make people sick.

I agree with Rose - instant migraine! I made some sandalwood tarts for my step-MIL and almost had to give them to her covered in vomit, it was that bad. And I won't go near Patchouli even though I have a ton of people that ask me for it - I just can't bear the thought of my house smelling like it.

There's one specific fragrance from Candlechem, Cozy Christmas, that activated the gag reflex as soon as I took the lid off the bottle. Needless to say, that never went into wax (and I can't even describe the fragrance notes because I can't remember off the top of my head, and they don't have descriptions on their website - argggh!)

Lilac ... it always smells like onions to me.

OMG Candlebuddy, that's is just strange!! Isn't it amazing how our sniffers detect different scents.

I hate straight peach.....always smells like cat pee......ewwwwww!! *shudder*