When someone asks....

I had someone ask me what my web addy was because they had a friend that they wanted to point to my website.

I get a "contact us form" off the site this morning saying that this person wants me to tell them how to make candles. She says "I have wicks, wax and jelly jars but I need to know where to start from there"

I have no idea what to say :shocked2:

Anyone have any advice for me?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know!

She has been to my site so she knows what I do. People don't march into KFC and demand the secret recipe do they? (well maybe they actually do..lol)

It really does not seem like she even knows that there are vast differences in wicks and wax etc..

I really want to not respond to this but it would probably make me rude if I did not,

maybe I should do a google search on candle making and send this person some of the links off there.

I have a feeling that this is one of those people that just think they can stick any old wick in and make instant $$$$$

She hasn't said that but that is the vibe I am getting from the e-mail..lol

I've had those inquiries before. I give them the link to this Board telling them it's a great place to learn.

e

That's what I do Eugenia. I give them a list of candleboards to read, tell them about all the various suppliers and manufacturers and then I start discussing waxes and wicks until they're so confused they give up - LOL!

Most people DO think they can simply stick any wick into a wax and it works. If she has purchased wax and wicks and jars, she should at least give a little thought to research, or either figure it out on her own.

DanaE

I have never met the lady who wrote me the email below but do make candles for her SIL. She emailed me a week or so ago and I sent her the suppliers by state link and suggested she choose a supplier close to her, get a sample kit to start with and TEST TEST TEST. Then I got this email yesterday and still haven't found the choice words for a reply yet. I am appauled at some people.

"I just brought a bunch of your candles to my sister-in-law in Pittsburgh. She and her daughters loved all of them. They had emailed you once a week or so ago about getting info on how to start their own candle business. The oldest daughter just graduated college and is job hunting but needs some income now! There is no real competition back here in this area so she would love to start her own business. Problem is that they are real unsure about the technical aspect of your business. They would love it if you could provide the web addresses of your suppliers. They would like to stick with your exact product type and smell since they are of such great quality! They are really interested in the candles and the smellie jellies. They had never seen a smellie jellie and fell in love with them. Could you tell them how to make a smellie jellie? They printed off basic candle making instructions from the internet but need someone to mentor them telling them how much scent to use to how much wax, how to tell the correct time to pour, what type of wax (all soy or a mix), how to tell the correct wick to use, how much wax makes each candle. How do we figure the cost versus pricing how much does a single candle cost you so she can figure her profit margin. Where do you get the jars and special jellie lids? The college grad obviously has limited funding currently and wants to use your scents since she knows they would be a hot seller around here. Could you tell her if you have mixed the scents or did they come in that scent? They can find craft stores back here but I thought you maybe were buying your supplies from the internet which would be easier for them so they could buy in bulk versus all the small quantity purchases. We would really appreciate your help on this. The job market is so bad back here but amazingly nobody is handmaking candles. Everybody buys store bought ones so we know she could make a go of the business but we really need your guidance. I realize you are very busy but if you could find time to help my niece out we would really appreciate it. Thank you so much for all the help! And trust me this won't effect me buying from you because I am not driving 5 hours for a candle even if it is made by a family member! Thanks again for helping her!"

Crazy huh?

wants to use your scents since she knows they would be a hot seller around here

:shocked2:

People. Astound. Me.

I think it's a wonderful solution to say something like this:

As much as I would love to help an aspiring businessperson become successful, the wax blend, fragrance and wick combinations are all proprietary information. Even if I wanted to tell, I couldn't! I would be happy to provide some information about how to create a proprietary blend, and what steps to take to determine the correct combination of elements. I can also invite you to join a group of seasoned chandlers and other experts in this field on message boards that are visited by the top chandlers in the nation. Unfortunately, although it may seem simple on first glance, candlemaking is a very technical and highly precise field. What works for me may not work for someone in another region, with different weather, altitude or any other number of environmental factors. I am looking forward to offering advice and general information to you (or your family member), and I will wait on your response before forwarding you a list of links and message board addresses.

Kind regards,

Me

:shocked2: Okay, wow! This lady sure is forward. I would never have the nerve to send someone an e-mail like that. I would simply tell her that your candle making information is proprietary and that she can buy ready-made candles from you wholesale (after getting a business license/tax ID) and sell them herself, but that you cannot divulge any information. It took you years of hard work and lots of money to develop your own candles and you know she understands that it is just not good business to give all this information away. I wouldn't give her the link to any suppliers (especially the ones you use), this message board or anything else. Tell her to research in the library and online, just like you did when you were first starting. Maybe I'm too mean, but I really wouldn't give her any help at all. She'll just be a leech forever when things don't go right or call you when someone's house burned down because the candles weren't tested. I would just walk away.

I've had those inquiries before. I give them the link to this Board telling them it's a great place to learn.

e

Ditto. If they're serious about it, they'll stop in and check it out. I also tell people to read, read, read. The library was a good friend to me as well as Barnes and Noble. I'd park my butt in front of the candle section with a cup of coffee and read, take notes and read some more. Gotta love B&N :)

Keep it simple. Just say that you've worked long and hard, spent a lot of money and time to find your sources to develop your product and skills. You won't just hand out that hard won information. It's no instant income. Simple, straight forward, honest and that's it.