Another Candle that Will Not Sell

I am actually at the point with ebay thinking I will keep listing until some candle finally sells....not sure if it's ebay or me..lol...I will be offering these until mother's day...then, after that I will have to rethink pouring candles until my website is up and running...critiques always appreciated..

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a329/rainbowtourist/100_2820.jpg

I think I have that same mold and have poured several in various colors/scents. Not one person that sees them has expressed the slightest interest. One by one I've been giving them away for donations for raffle baskets my various women's groups do. I thought it made such a delicate, pretty candle but guess not too many others do.

That candle is too nice for eBay!! Try marketing it directly to upscale boutiques, salons, home decor places, etc.

A better photo highlighting the "cameo" quality of the raised areas would help it to sell better. Although your photo is pretty, the flowerpot and photo frame are detracting attention from the candle.

Would also help to have some photos of it burned down halfway so that it is glowing from inside showing off those nice, raised designs. ;)

Good luck and I hope you find a niche for this pretty candle! :)

Anne Marie......that candle is beautiful. I can't imagine why is hasn't sold. I used to have an ebay store and for the life of me couldn't figure out why some things sold and others didn't. Probably too good for ebay. That needs to be in an upscale shop. When I had a retail store, I would have bought it from you.

Donita

OK, this is a "for what it's worth" post. This is a beautiful candle but I wouldn't buy it because it's too fancy for my taste. My overwhelming preference in candles is plain pillar or container with no embellishments whatsoever. Even a nice layered candle in a clear container is fine. Perhaps I'm not the only one who thinks this since so many of you who have posted said this type of candle doesn't sell. Just thought I'd throw that out there . . .

I wouldn't buy it because it's too fancy for my taste. My overwhelming preference in candles is plain pillar or container with no embellishments whatsoever.

For every person who likes plain, there's another who likes fancy. I think the problem is the venue not the candle. A classy candle will get lost on eBay.

If anyone could actually figure out how to market a product all of the time that person would be the richest person in the world. I have had retail stores and for the life of me still don't understand the buying public. I made Victorian Lampshades before learning how to make candles. Whenever a shade wasn't selling, we would mark it up $50 to $100 and it would sell that day. Go figure. Same thing with candles. I made candles but I also bought from several large candle companies to please all of the people at "The Mall". We sold every kind of candle there was ....or just about. Some so fancy that they had fake wicks in them. Not for burning at all. We sold the heck out of animal candles from Lava. Pretty fancy stuff. The mall had a good cross section of people so we were interested in who bought what. It was very surprising. We very rarely had to put any candles on sale. Every color sold. I made some pretty ugly candles that sold for full price. Go figure. People in the car selling business know that just about everyone who walks onto a car lot and buys a car ....buys a car in a color that they didn't want. My husband use to say.....would you like the red car better if it were $500 less? Then they changed their mind and liked red. Selling is tricky. But if you have a product that you can't sell....stop wasting your time. Maybe someone else could sell it but in a million years you won't be able to. Retail was a game for me. Sometimes very scary....but when it worked.....holy cow....I was amazed at what people spend their money on. Save your pretty candles for gifts. Who knows....a recipient might just be the one who appreciates it enough to order some from you or turn you on to a potential buyer. It's a big game. The customer has money in their pocket and it is your job to figure out how to get it out of theirs and into yours (smile). That's my two or forty cents worth :) Donita

I might see if I can buy a tealight sized silicone plug and convert this into a flameless candle...worth a try!

I bet that would work! Maybe try marketing it with a bar of cordinating soap that you do...a gift set of sorts?? It would be beautiful in a bathroom and really pretty with a fake flame!

Its beautiful.

I know the feeling having a candle that won't sell. I have had luck with using different marketing strategies when that happens. Sometimes it may be as simple as renaming it.

When I see that candle it reminds me of weddings, or anniversaries, or something. I would check out bridal shops, florists, etc. It might sell well in one of those type shops.

Ebay is just swamped with candles for sale and they are literally a dime a dozen. Doesn't matter how nice they are. I quit selling on Ebay because of that.

It could be the color? I don't buy much in the way of baby blue anything. It's a beautiful candle. It can't be the design thing. Has to be the color.

Yup, it can be the design. It is very pretty, but personally I wouldn't buy it. I buy candles (or used to) to burn.... nice smell, watch the magic flame dance, play int eh wax pool, etc. I have enough glass knick-knacks sitting around that I don't want anything else just to decorate. It's just too fancy to burn. Makes it kinda a catch 22 for me. I don't want an ugly candle even if I'm just gonna burn it, but if it's real pretty I wont burn it anyway...lol

As for blue, it's my daughters favorite color. Any shade in anything... if it's blue, she wants it...LOL