adding Coconut oil?

Tried 1 teaspoon of pure virgin coconut oil in 1lb of wax. Used dye. Still got frost but also a funky looking top - almost like a crust.

Made absolutely no difference with my CB-135 - in fact, I'd say it was worse, I got pockets of frost through the whole candle, not just on the outside and the top took forever with the heat-gun to stop having this cracked, almost shell-like lacy effect.

no - this isn't for eating, its actually for putting on the body. I sell it as a moisturiser. It's pure white, set solid and you have to gouge it out. So that's too posh to use in candles then?

Blimey - not sure where to get the cheap stuff in the UK.

• 2 months later...

I've pretty much given up on it, and counted it as experience. All I seemed to succeed in doing was increasing the melt point/hardening the wax. Since I use CBA most things were under control for the most part, maybe that's why I haven;t noticed much difference. I was just hoping to improve scent throw a dab.

I use Coconut Oil from BCN at 1/2tsp - 1/2 T pp. I found it does help with the scent throw and does harden the candles up a bit. I started out adding a higher amount but found that possibly weakened the scent throw because the candle was quite hard.........HTH Oh, I believe it is 76 degree

Jeani, what type of wax do you use?? Is the range due to the different FO's?

I am planning on making some blends tomorrow. I have the EcoSoya CBA and Pure soy. With those and the coconut oil I hope to create something wonderful.

Thanks for the info

Danielle

• 1 month later...

I tried adding 1/2 TS to 1 lb of cb135 wax and it didn't change anything to me. I still have a lot of frosting and the tops look like a cross between snowflakes and cauliflower. I smoothed them out with a heat gun but after burning the candle the top went back to the same look. I also have the same candle burning that is cba. The ht and ct is wayyy better in the 135. The 135 is burning a bit slower aslo. The 135 again W/bw adhered to the glass all over and the cba didn't. So now do you want a different looking candle that smells great hot or cold or do you want a prettier candle that smells way weaker??????

I tried adding 1/2 TS to 1 lb of cb135 wax and it didn't change anything to me. I still have a lot of frosting and the tops look like a cross between snowflakes and cauliflower. I smoothed them out with a heat gun but after burning the candle the top went back to the same look. I also have the same candle burning that is cba. The ht and ct is wayyy better in the 135. The 135 is burning a bit slower aslo. The 135 again W/bw adhered to the glass all over and the cba didn't. So now do you want a different looking candle that smells great hot or cold or do you want a prettier candle that smells way weaker??????

I think the TS means tablespoon that you typed??? I am using 1 teaspoon in my wax, but it is soy 125, and it is working great for me sorry:sad2: . Maybe try that, or it could be that is works better in different waxes and for different people. Good luck.

I just starting using 1 teaspoon per pound in the CB-Adv. The tops and the adhesion were never an issue with this soy wax but the scent throw and some frosting was. I saw signifigant improvement since day one.

At first I thought "oh God this isn't going to work" because the coconut oil made the wax seem really greasy and soft. But the next day when it cooled it looked awesome and the cold throw was much better. I could also smell a definite improvement in the hot throw even prior to curing. We also added cocnut oil to some colored soy and I did notice that the color took much better with the coconut oil. No Frosting on the burgundy or the peach. We also got really rich colors using less dye. From now on I'm always going to use the LouAnn coconut oil in my soy container wax. I was really suprised at how well it worked.

I was wondering if anyones tried in the Ecosoya PB?

Yes I did mean tablespoon, sorry. Is the bw and coconut oil the same thing or should I try the coconut oil? If so is it the same stuff they sell at Walmart thats with the coco butter? I noticed my tarts are dry looking they don't look as creamy as they did with the cba, but it seams like the scent is much better with the cb135. The tarts are harder to get out of the mold also with the 135. Is there any other additive I can put with my 135 that will help with smoothing out the tiop and help with some of the frosting? Thanks all. Wendy

Yes I did mean tablespoon, sorry. Is the bw and coconut oil the same thing or should I try the coconut oil? If so is it the same stuff they sell at Walmart thats with the coco butter? I noticed my tarts are dry looking they don't look as creamy as they did with the cba, but it seams like the scent is much better with the cb135. The tarts are harder to get out of the mold also with the 135. Is there any other additive I can put with my 135 that will help with smoothing out the tiop and help with some of the frosting? Thanks all. Wendy

OK, so you were talking about bw in your other post:confused: Sorry I thought you were talking about coconut oil. I have never tried the bw, sorry no help. But give the coconut oil a try, and yes it is at walmart (super walmart) but I got mine from where the oil (like olive oil) is, right next to the shortening. It is in a white bottle w/ a green lid and is called LouAna coconut oil. The coconut oil will make the candles harder so I dont know how that would make the 135 look, sorry. Have you thought about mixing the CBA and 135 together to see what you would get? I havent tried it before but I believe in resent threads people have talked about doing this to get the best of both worlds. Maybe do a search, or look in past weeks threads, and see if it was the same wax you use. Good luck and I hope I helped some.

Antonia

coffeebean, I tried coconut oil in 135 and did the side-by-side test and I DID find it to help a bit with the ht. As for the smooth tops I'm still trying to find that out, but I'm going to try pouring at 150 next batch. When I remelt the whole candle on an electric warmer, the wax gets to 150. When I take it off the burner and leave it to harden in a room with just my woodstove in it (not exactly sure of the temp) I don't have to put a box or anything on top - they harden with very nice looking tops and haven't had any frosting yet. Still get some funky tops happening after they reset after burning for a few hours, but if the ht is there I'm not too worried about the way they look after burning. Adds some style :) . I'm using 1.25 oz pp with 1 dye chip, though... not sure if more fragrance might increase your frosting.

hth,

Jan

Sorry if I confuse pp I have that way of doing so. I tried the bw but then I'm reading on here about the coconut oil so I thought I would try the cocnut oil due to the fact that the bw changed nothing for me. I am very happy with how much better the ht is on the 135 w/bw and it seems to be burning a lot slower than the cba. I'm going to pour one with bw and one with coconut oil and bw and see what happens. Boy I wish these products were it bit cheaper it seems I'm giving a lot of testers to ppl and having fo's sitting here that didn't throw in my candles. I just soak up paper towels with the oil and put it on the floor of our vehicles, when you turn the heat on it smells great.

okay I tried this with my evil 435. (thanks Sharon for the tip...)Lo and behold it did seem to help with the hot throw.........I got totally smooth tops, no frosting and the colors looked better! And wow wasn't even concerned about that! I just wanted decent hot throw! I used 1/2 to 1 teaspoon pp. of golden brands 435 soy wax. ANd Sharon.....believe it or not I did finally get a scent to wick with a cd 14 in a 8oz jj. ! It was heavenly honeydew. Sigh , some of my strong scents are still not giving good hot throw with this wax, such as cinnamon, strawberry jam, etc. One thing that I can't get thru my head even after months of testing is this: WHAT IS IT ABOUT DIFFERENT WICKS THAT AFFECT SCENT THROW? :confused: Is it how hot they burn? THis drives me nuts! I am trying to use the cd wicks, but can't seem to get a hot throw with them on certain scents!!!! (with the 435 anyway)Am hoping the coconut oil will help on this ! So far the scent lovespell seems to be doing great with the coconut oil added. Burns clean and tops remelt smooth time after time, decent smell and yahoo........it's with a cd wick! (A cd-18 in a 16oz mason, I think) Someone answer me this: IF I use a scent that is known for good scent throw and I use the same amount with same wicks in same size jars, but one with 464 wax and the other with 435 wax ...and the 435 has weak hot throw ...........WHAT IS THIS SHOWING ME? I need a hotter wick?, I need, what? The eco wick seems to have better hot throw in this wax.......what does this prove? I am so dumb on this matter.........:(

WHAT IS IT ABOUT DIFFERENT WICKS THAT AFFECT SCENT THROW?

How a wick is constructed has a lot to do with how well it feeds the fuel (made of wax and FO) at what temperature to the flame, which produces a melt pool of what depth, width and temperature...

Every single FO is NOT going to work the same in every different wax formula and every different wax formula is not going to have the same burn properties with every single wick with every single FO!

Someone answer me this: IF I use a scent that is known for good scent throw and I use the same amount with same wicks in same size jars, but one with 464 wax and the other with 435 wax ...and the 435 has weak hot throw ...........WHAT IS THIS SHOWING ME?

Known to whom? To you or is this something you read from someone else's experience with the same wax, the same wick, poured under the same circumstances, etc.?

THREE basic factors there: wax, FO and wick.

When testing for hot throw, use ONE WAX at a time, ONE FO at a time, ONE CONTAINER at a time and bracket the wicking - use one you think will work and one on either side - up and down.

Example: I am testing C3 with strawberry rose FO in a 2½" diameter container. I THINK the CDN 12 will work, so I wick one with a 12, one with a 10 and one with a 14. THAT WAY, the only thing that IS different about the candles IS the wick.

If NONE of the wicks have a good hot throw (remembering that these have to be burned separately to ascertain throw), you can either try a different wick or a different wax. In each case, be SURE that the candles you are testing are identical EXCEPT for whatever it is you are testing about them. MANY problems people have is not setting up their testing to give them good data results.

Perhaps it is not the wax, FO or the wick at all, but the temperature at which you are adding the FO, etc.? There are lots of factors that determine hot throw!!

After reading this thread I decided to give the coconut oil a try and so far I'm impressed. I used it on a vanilla bourbon from brighter scents. I have always had some trouble with the hot throw on their FO's. :rolleyes2

I did everything the same, Cargill C3, 1 oz FO pp, Eco wicks and poured at the same temp as usual only I added 1tsp of CO. The wax did seem a little bit harder, cold throw was excellent. After curing for a week I did a test burn yesterday and I'm happy to say that the hot throw is much improved. I can't say about frosting and wetspots because they are not usually a problem for me.

In the future, I think I will definately use this formula on FO's that don't throw well. :P

Are you talking about the same coconut oil they use to pop popcorn? Thanks

Yes, actually! I am using the Louanns coconut oil from Walmart. It is really cheap and comes in a very large cannister.

When I'm not using it in candles perhaps I'll try cooking with it, I hear it's good! ;)

Elfcat, what section of the super walmart do you find your coconut oil please? I bought a tub in the vitamin section it was 1lb and cost 9.96 and was not louanns. It was extra virgin coconut oil. It is for eating I guess. Is this not the one I need? It works in my candles though. It gives a bit more scent throw and it help a lot with frosting and smoothing out the tops of my cb135.

Elfcat, what section of the super walmart do you find your coconut oil please? I bought a tub in the vitamin section it was 1lb and cost 9.96 and was not louanns. It was extra virgin coconut oil. It is for eating I guess. Is this not the one I need? It works in my candles though. It gives a bit more scent throw and it help a lot with frosting and smoothing out the tops of my cb135.

I found it in the cooking oil section next to the vegetable oil and olive oil. The Louanns was only about 3.00 for a large container. It is the kind you cook with but not the extra virgin CO. I imagine the extra virgin would work you just may have to adjust the amount. (of course there is also a big price difference.)

I use CBA and just did a test on my tarts using Coconut Oil.

I heated wax to 175 poured at 125. Using the same scent in both tests.

1/2 TBS of Coconut Oil, 1 lbs CBA, 1 oz scent....

I am VERY pleased with Cold throw using CO, makes the tarts smell stronger...

I also used Extra Virgin CO (found in the vitamin section at Walmart)....

Will let ya know how the hot throw does.....