adding Coconut oil?

I just came across this on just by nature's website and thought I would show what a supplier is saying about coconut oil too (like we didn't already know lol):

Coconut Oil (76 degrees)

Liquid/Solid (depending on room temperature)

Try using our Coconut Oil to assist with a stronger scent throw in soy and soy blend container waxes. It also helps soy candles to cure faster.

Recommended Usage rate - 1/2 teaspoon to 1/2 tablespoon per pound of wax

Originally Posted by 8-GRAN-ONES viewpost.gif

i just wanted to report about the remelt and repour i did last night....after i had remelted, added coconut oil and stirred. i thought these are just testers i am going to go ahead and pour hot..it was about 150-155 degrees...this morning, the ELM is baby bottom smooth and shiney..the 414 has on area, about 1/4 of the top has a little cellulite..but it is otherwise smooth and shiney also.. i don't know if the remelt had anything to do with the smooth tops..chime in if you have any input...

I'm wondering if the results had more to do with the remelt and repour. Yesterday, I made a candle (Ezsoy & 3% BW) and decided to try the 'tempering' method. It came out FILLED with little bubbles and with a white bumpy crust on top. Nasty creature!!! So, I melted the entire candle down (using my candle warming plate), poured the wax into a plastic cup...and after it had solidified again, it's smooth, shiny and no frost! Today, it's just as pretty.

Are the CO results equal to the results acheived with BW??? Are they similar or is CO a better choice???

TIA

How long are you letting candles cure with coconut oil? I poured an 8oz, used 1/4 t coconut oil and didn't see any difference, I let it cure 5 days. Yesterday I used a pound of wax, 1.5 fo, and 1 T of coconut oil. I kept in in the refrigerator, chipped out 1 T. and decided to melt it before putting it in the wax, it was more like 2 T. melted. I used 1 T melted, I use 415 wax. The candles look great, adhesion is good and the tops shine and a very smooth.

We have lots of rain in the forecast for the next several days, so I'm looking forward to testing! I found the CO @ WM right where everyone said it would be. I haven't been this excited about testing in ... like, forever!

Susan.

Well I haven't tried the CO yet! My female Pomeranian had her puppies last Tuesday Morning and I have been dealing with her and her puppies. We lost 2 of them so I haven't had the heart to make any more candles this past week! But this week I need too! My gift shoppe looks empty!!!! Plus I am having "making candles syndrome" on top of that right now, this morning!!!! :grin2: I am too old to be staying up for 48 - 72 hours.

But I am going to Super Wally today and will be getting some of the CO to try!

I have read all of the posts and will take into consideration all the advice being posted!

You guys are the greatest!!!!!!!!! (and smartest! :grin2: )

still no frost on the CB135, I made some more last night with the advance and they did not adhere to the glass very well like before and I did the same thing. So I think for me I will go with the CB135 cause I cant handle wet looking spots when the wax pulls away from the jar

just to report on my candles, that i repoured....the ELM with the pink sugar has a pretty good size wet spot..the 415 with pink sugar looks great no frost, but it is non-colored..but it looks prefect..i repoured and added the coconut 6-21-07,,and I think i will wait at least 2 more days before testing..

8-GRAN-ONES, I'm kinda of guessing as to what "ELM" stands for but thought I'd go ahead and ask (to be sure). So....what does "ELM" stand for? You're adding it to your wax along with the CO?

I bought some CO today at WallyWorld and poured some test candles today.

Candle 1 - a blend I made up with my container soy and pillar soy blend.

Candle 2 - EZsoy and BW

Candle 3 - EZsoy and CO

Right off the bat:

Candle 1 has 'some' frost speckles around the edges (nothing major), smooth top with a bit of sinking in the middle but a wonderful cold throw.

Candle 2 has a boat load of wet spots and frost developing on the bottom. The color of this candle is lighter than the other two yet the same amount of dye was used.

Candle 3 has adhered to the sides of the jar like a champ, the tops aren't perfectly smooth but they're not ugly...and there's no frost (so far). The cold throw is better than Candle 2 but not by much and not as strong as Candle 1. BUT.....

I will see how they look tomorrow.

still no frost on the CB135, I made some more last night with the advance and they did not adhere to the glass very well like before and I did the same thing. So I think for me I will go with the CB135 cause I cant handle wet looking spots when the wax pulls away from the jar

I totally hate wet spots too! When I look at candles at wally world or another store and see those wet spots they look so ugly and wonder why those candles are not selling! You can see the dust on top of the jars! :laugh2: I wouldn't buy a candle with wet spots myself!!!

but whatever works for you go for it!!!!!!!

I totally hate wet spots too! When I look at candles at wally world or another store and see those wet spots they look so ugly and wonder why those candles are not selling! You can see the dust on top of the jars! :laugh2: I wouldn't buy a candle with wet spots myself!!!

but whatever works for you go for it!!!!!!!

yup that is why we decided to roll with the CB135 over the advance. With the advance the candle looks so tacky and cheap to me but with the CB135 it adheres so nicely that it makes a lovely looking candle

Just wanted to update about the repour and adding the coconut oil..

I have tested the ELM with the coconut oil added with pink sugar today..I think that is has a little better hot throw..I had it in my bedroom which is about a 15 x 15 and you could smell it...not real strong, but at least enough that you know you have a candle burning...I did move it into my living room area which has high ceilings and is a much larger area, and could not really smell it. So I think that this FO is just a light scent,,

I will test the other one that is made with the GB 415 and coconut oil added later today..

My conclusion is that the coconut oil is expensive enough that, if a FO does not throw well in my soy wax rather than add the coco..it will just not buy that scent again...

Just wanted to update about the repour and adding the coconut oil..

I have tested the ELM with the coconut oil added with pink sugar today..I think that is has a little better hot throw..I had it in my bedroom which is about a 15 x 15 and you could smell it...not real strong, but at least enough that you know you have a candle burning...I did move it into my living room area which has high ceilings and is a much larger area, and could not really smell it. So I think that this FO is just a light scent,,

I will test the other one that is made with the GB 415 and coconut oil added later today..

My conclusion is that the coconut oil is expensive enough that, if a FO does not throw well in my soy wax rather than add the coco..it will just not buy that scent again...

You can actually buy a gallon of coconut oil for around $10 if you buy at places that sell soaping oils

you know it is frustrating to buy a oil that is supposed to throw well in soy,, you buy it and find that it hardly has any smell at all when you start burning..i have bought where it says it throws awsome in soy..and still hardly any smell....maybe it is just the soy they test in..i guess a person needs to ask what type and brand of soy did you test in before buying...

Oh yeah I love the smell of pink sugar , I just cant get it to throw well in soy either. I was hoping the CO would help but it really hasnt for me

Pink Sugar from Scent Works throws like crazy in soy.

You can actually buy a gallon of coconut oil for around $10 if you buy at places that sell soaping oils

Unless you make mega candles, that's a heck of a lot of CO. Plus from a supplier who knows if it is safe to eat and I hear eating 2 to 4 Tab of it a day will help lower your sugar/diabetes..... We will soon see.