adding Coconut oil?

you know it is frustrating to buy a oil that is supposed to throw well in soy,, you buy it and find that it hardly has any smell at all when you start burning..i have bought where it says it throws awsome in soy..and still hardly any smell....maybe it is just the soy they test in..i guess a person needs to ask what type and brand of soy did you test in before buying...

This has happened to me so many time I feel like a complete dumb ass. Most times if it's just a throw thing but the scent is to my liking I'll add a little to the FO I finally find. With Pink Sugar I add some ICS to SW's because ICS smells almost the same as SW's but not near as strong. Also the cost of ICS is a lot cheaper so blending the two gives me a great throw and the cost is cut a little. JMHO I mix a lot of scents and sometimes it's strickly because of the cost.

Right now I want a few scents from Backwoods but have been burned so many times with rave reviews, I have been slow to try. I hear they have a sample sale every now and then so I'm trying to wait for that. Although I'm not a sample person, I'm trying to mend my ways....

scent works huh..well I just may have to go find that link now and try it lol geese just when I think I am safe and not going to order anything for a week or so from anybody

If you like I can send a tart for you to try or a little of the scent. Who have you tried?

Natures garden, geluminations, tncandlesupplies and thecandlemakers. those 4 I know for sure. I actually just went over and ordered some from the scent works after you suggested it lol I am that addicted to buying FO I am like a gambler at a machine lol thanks so much for the offer though

Natures garden, geluminations, tncandlesupplies and thecandlemakers. those 4 I know for sure. I actually just went over and ordered some from the scent works after you suggested it lol I am that addicted to buying FO I am like a gambler at a machine lol thanks so much for the offer though

The only one of those I have smelled is The Candlemakers store and I didn't like it.

I have a major problem with Strawberry. I can make great tarts but stick a wick in that same strong tart wax and I get nothing, nadda. I have used strawberry from just about every supplier out there in various waxes. It is just the one scent that doesn't like me :cry2:

I get an AWESOME fill my house up strong throw from ICS Pink Sugar. I have made them in GB 415 and my own 70/30 blend. I tried Pink Sugar from 3 other places and didn't get the throw I get from ICS.

Sometimes I don't think its the wax, wicks, scent etc as much as the planets aren't aligned, the smurfs aren't playing in the back yard with the aliens, we didn't stand on one foot with one hand tied behind our back when we made the candle :laugh2:

No two people are going to get identical results so we just have to find what works for US and go with it. :grin2:

With Pink Sugar I add some ICS to SW's because ICS smells almost the same as SW's but not near as strong. Also the cost of ICS is a lot cheaper so blending the two gives me a great throw and the cost is cut a little. JMHO I mix a lot of scents and sometimes it's strickly because of the cost.quote]

I understand this theory if you have both of these fo's on hand & are trying to get rid of the 'weak' scent, but if not, why on earth would you continue to buy the the ICS fo & not just buy the SW fo to suit your needs?

Susan.

Good to see Geek here!!!

Since I'm only making one candle at a time to test and the one I made the other day is a 4oz...and now I want to make an 8oz (whichisn't really 8oz of wax but more like 6.2oz), I had to convert the CO measurements to milileters and even at THAT, there's still a small grey area of guesswork. Is there a better way to break the measurements down from 1/2 T/pp wax to what would be used in one little candle?

TIA

P.S. The candle with the CO is still looking beautiful. The 30/70 blend candle hasn't shown any further frost. The candle with the BW continues to frost more and more each day.

I have been following this thread with interest and waiting to hear some positive results from those testing out the CO in their candles.

I gave it several test trys in my CB135 and CBA and didn't find it made any improvements whatsoever. At least it didn't hurt the candles in anyway but it sure didn't produce any benefits either. Didn't minimize frosting, enhance throw, burn longer, produce a shine, etc., etc.. None of the claims I have been reading about.

I used the 76 degree CO to test.

Started to post on this and realized my menopausal brain has taken over and I suffer from CRS!!

Just a question, why not make up the wax by the pound with the coconut oil and then take out what you need for 1 or 2 containers and add your fo, color, etc?? I make at least a pound at a time, it's much easier on my brain!!

kandlekrazy, since I'm only testing, and if the test results aren't good, I wouldn't want to waste an entire pound of wax.

;)

Candybee, I'm not familiar with your wax. My test results with the CO so far are favorable but I would like to do more testing with other FO's just in case this is a fluke of sorts. I'm using EZsoy and have only tested the CO with one FO & dye combo which is (in my experience) a 'froster'. I have another FO & dye combo that is also a froster and would like to test that, also.

I have been following this thread with interest and waiting to hear some positive results from those testing out the CO in their candles.

I gave it several test trys in my CB135 and CBA and didn't find it made any improvements whatsoever. At least it didn't hurt the candles in anyway but it sure didn't produce any benefits either. Didn't minimize frosting, enhance throw, burn longer, produce a shine, etc., etc.. None of the claims I have been reading about.

I used the 76 degree CO to test.

Not familiar with CB135 or CBA are they soy waxes? And how much CO did you add per lb? Just wondering if the wax could be the only difference in why it worked for me and not you. I use soy Golden Brand 135.

With Pink Sugar I add some ICS to SW's because ICS smells almost the same as SW's but not near as strong. Also the cost of ICS is a lot cheaper so blending the two gives me a great throw and the cost is cut a little. JMHO I mix a lot of scents and sometimes it's strickly because of the cost.quote]

I understand this theory if you have both of these fo's on hand & are trying to get rid of the 'weak' scent, but if not, why on earth would you continue to buy the the ICS fo & not just buy the SW fo to suit your needs?

Susan.

I usually just add a little to use it up but sometimes I like the combo better than straight.

Not familiar with CB135 or CBA are they soy waxes? And how much CO did you add per lb? Just wondering if the wax could be the only difference in why it worked for me and not you. I use soy Golden Brand 135.

Those are the Ecosoya container blend and the Advanced blend soy waxes. I used the recommended amount and tested starting at 1/2 tsp up to 1/2 tbs.

Frankly my custom blend is working for me so I don't think I will be adding the CO. Just thought I would give it a try to see what all the hoopla is about and if I should change my formula.

I have been testing with coconut oil with 4 different fo. Haven't had any wet spots but haven't had any difference with hot throw. I tested at 2,5,7, now 10 days and have now gotten some hot throw. I used 1/2 teaspoon in 3 candles and 1 tablespoon in 1 candle. The one with 1 T really has been the best as far as being a really nice looking candle and had the first hot throw. The ones with 1/2 t are burning so hot, 1/2" melt pool in less than an hour. I used 415 wax in 8 oz jelly jars. Has anyone else noticed theirs burning so hot? I used the same wick I use any other time without coconut oil.

I have been testing with coconut oil with 4 different fo. Haven't had any wet spots but haven't had any difference with hot throw. I tested at 2,5,7, now 10 days and have now gotten some hot throw. I used 1/2 teaspoon in 3 candles and 1 tablespoon in 1 candle. The one with 1 T really has been the best as far as being a really nice looking candle and had the first hot throw. The ones with 1/2 t are burning so hot, 1/2" melt pool in less than an hour. I used 415 wax in 8 oz jelly jars. Has anyone else noticed theirs burning so hot? I used the same wick I use any other time without coconut oil.

They definitely burn easier with the coconut oil. I tested with my reg. wick and it was way too hot. Need to go down a size or two.

That is interesting. I didn't find that such a small amount of coconut oil affected the wicking at all. It seems to even be the opposite for me. If I put in too much coconut oil, it makes the wax harder and I have cracking. I use 1/2 T in my 70/30 blend. I tried 1 T and had to go up a size in wicks. I tried 1 T in my 50/50 blend and not sure if it was the coconut oil or just the wax was a little dried out because I haven't had it in a sealed container but I had cracking all the way around the edge of the jar. I am leaning more towards my soy that I used being a little "dried out". I was using GB 444 in my 70/30 and ran out of it so I thought I would try the GB 415 I hadn't used in a while in a 50/50 blend.

Everyone's wax, blends, temps/humidity, FO's etc can all have different results just like making the same type candles without the coconut oil though.

Nanny, you only mentioned the burn with the 1/2 tsp and not the candle with 1 T, how did that one do?

Hi Jami, The candle with 1T didn't burn hot, had 1/4" melt pool, but hasn't gotten any better cold or hot throw. I have changed the wicks several times in the 1/2 t candles to get a cooler burn, but lost most of the hot throw. I am going to try using 1/4 t of coconut oil next to see if still makes a nice looking candle but burns cooler. I have ordered some CD wicks, have you used them and if so how do you like them?