adding Coconut oil?

Coconut oil is similar to beeswax as an additive in candles except its cheaper. It can help with hot throw, slower burn time (it will harden the candle wax), less sooting, smoother candles, reduce wet spots and cut down cure time.

I have seen anywhere from 1/2 teaspoon (1/2 - 1 tsp for 100% soy) to 1 tablespoon (parasoy blends) per pound. Where is candleman? He uses 1/2 tablespoon coconut oil in his candles. He can provide more input about the uses of it. More than that can give a different smell. This is the 76 degree coconut that can be found at walmart (LouAna brand).

I have made a couple testers with my own 70/30 blend to see what I think of it, just haven't gotten around to burning them yet. I think I have like 12 testers waiting to be burned from various blends lol.

Something else just occured to me...this is why my testing never ends...I'll try anything!! Off I go to the "test kitchen"

If it weren't for testing, I would get bored pouring the same type candles over and over.......or at least this is what I am telling myself :laugh2:

I use 1/2 TBS per pound in my 70/30 soy/para blend and in my mind I get a better throw LOL...I've never used in pure soy or votive wax although there are some who do. With the votives I believe it's supposed help with cracking etc...also, there was some discussion that it reduced 'wet spots' in containers.

have to ask i must be having a "moment"

but is this the kind of coconut oil you could use? it does say for bath bombs but nothing about candles

help lol

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/100-Pure-Natural-ORGANIC-VIRGIN-COCONUT-Oil-50ml_W0QQitemZ160123656298QQihZ006QQcategoryZ21205QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

TIA

Don't know about that one. I use the plain ole' 76 degree coconut oil that you can buy in many grocery stores. I buy mine at Wally World but I don't believe you have those over there. Check at your local market, they might have it. For candles there is no need to buy the expensive organic stuff unless you must have organic. It's mostly solid at room temp and melts easily.

I tried a teaspoon in 1/2 pound of wax yesterday and the tops came out exactly the same as those without...can't wait for cure...want to see if it improves burn time. For some reason all my tops came out cottage cheesy yesterday...very small curd! Thinking its too cool and humid right now...we're heavy into June GLOOM here!

a teaspoon is 5 ml and an oz is 30 ml (28.8 to be exact) so I was around 1/6 oz per pound...however...I used a teaspoon, I did not weigh it on the scale, so it may have been even less since I weigh my wax. All too technical for me...next time I'll weigh out 1/2 oz (which is around 1 tablespoon) and put it in a pound of wax and see what happens to the tops and what kind of disaster I can create next...wish my jars would come into stock, then I can quit playing around for a while!!:drool:

I made my first batch with the coconut oil about a month ago. Those candles came out great.

I used it yesterday adding 1/2 TBSP per pound and had cracking (on the side of the candle) in a couple of them. They were the last ones I poured. I am sure it's the changes in the weather so I will back that down on my next batch.

I have some candles that I poured in the same scent so I got them out to compare the cold throw. The cold throw does seem stronger with the candles that have the coconut oil.

Time and testing is the only way to see what will work for each person.

KK, I had the same exact cauliflower top you are talking about when I was using beeswax in my candles. No matter how many times I zapped it with the heat gun it didn't smooth out. That candle is burning upstairs and as ugly as it was, it sure does smell good :laugh2:

I have NO idea what caused it because that particular scent (mango) is the only one that it did that on.

If 3 tesp 1 Tab & 3 Tab = 1 oz

Then would it be 1 oz per 9 lbs of wax????

At 1/2 oz per lb they all look great, just topped off my candle and will test tomorrow. Cold throw is great.. It's light yellow and I poured hot, wet spots but no frosting.

Wow that is not much at all and that means not much money to help our candles. WooHoo:yay:

Tried it again today using 1/2 Tablespoon per 1 # C-3 wax. It's better, but still slightly cauliflower tops...I'm afraid to add too much as it really makes the wax on the oily side...but I'm going to try just a bit more later. Much less humidity today so that could factor in also.

Note to self: Do not leave Black Cherry fo in a plastic cup for more than 30 seconds...melts through the cup:o

KK I wish I could tell you what to change but I don't use the C-3 wax. I just know first time I used beeswax and used too much it happened to me and I had to back down.

Just a word of warning, anything more than 1/2 TBSP per pound of wax will cause you to wick up so keep that in mind. It DOES make your wax harder. The 1/2 TBSP was the limit among testers in 70/30 soy/para blend without having to wick up.

Here is a comment that was made in regards to the testing (names have been removed to protect the innocent lol):

Good, I have been using the right coconut oil. I have the same results as **** using the 1 1/2 or greater amount of coconut oil - it makes the wax harder and I had to wick up 1-2 sizes. I did have pretty smooth tops with that amount but changing wick sizes is not what I want to do. I'll keep testing with the lower amounts of coconut oil.

I also noticed with a certain FO using the 2 tablespoons of coconut oil the candle developed a very odd odor. Kinda like a spoiled smell. I already had some made using the same FO without the coconut oil and they smell fine. That has only happened with one FO. All others are fine!

Also someone asked if this can be used in votive wax. The answer is yes. I have read that it has really helped with the appearance of the votives.

• Like 1

Thanks Jami, maybe it just won't work well in C-3. My olive oil candle also got a funky top yesterday, so I'm more inclined to say its the weather instead of the coconut oil. I think I'll back off until the humidity drops a bunch and then I'll try it again and see if there is a difference. It's been fun testing different stuff again...you forget when you just pour, pour, pour the old standards!

I use GB 435 and haven't had any problems lately so I'm just going to keep this in mind just in case I get a batch that needs some oil.

Still don't know how something with a lower melt point can make soy wax harder.

And was that FO that smelled funky? Lemongrass?

• Like 1

Thanks Jami, maybe it just won't work well in C-3. My olive oil candle also got a funky top yesterday, so I'm more inclined to say its the weather instead of the coconut oil. I think I'll back off until the humidity drops a bunch and then I'll try it again and see if there is a difference. It's been fun testing different stuff again...you forget when you just pour, pour, pour the old standards!

I just found this, hopefully it will help:

I'm not ***** and not using the 415, BUTsmile.gif with C-3, I had to back down to 1 tsp pp.

Let us know how that works for you if you try it KK.

By the way, I have never heard of olive oil in a candle. What does that do?

• Like 1

I have no idea what the olive oil will do, just wanted to try it for a friend who wants it! It doesn't have a cold throw at all, and I doubt it will have a hot throw either...just wax burning! I'd love to add basil fo to it but its pretty expensive so I need to see how this creature burns...tonight!!! I'm tired of waiting.

• Like 1

I have no idea what the olive oil will do, just wanted to try it for a friend who wants it! It doesn't have a cold throw at all, and I doubt it will have a hot throw either...just wax burning! I'd love to add basil fo to it but its pretty expensive so I need to see how this creature burns...tonight!!! I'm tired of waiting.

This is where I need my DUH icon again lol I remember reading the posts asking about the olive oil. It just slipped my mind.