adding Coconut oil?

Ok, so I had some CO from JBN and decided to play. I used ecosoya 135. I guess I didn't pay attention to the amount, cuz I added 2 TBLS pp. blush.gif

Then I reread the thread and thought, 'censored.gif...gonna be failed test #193725629498!!!!! bash.gif

BUT...low and behold...the two testers I made, both 16 oz Apoth, 1 Green Clover and Aloe, the other Vanilla Sandalwood, wicked differently, have absolutely NO WET SPOTS, no cracks, creamy smooth tops, better cold and hot throw, and they burn like a dream. icon_fainting.gif

Better than beeswax, UCA, vybar and crisco. :yay:

So I'm gonna keep testing with CO.

Just back after a few weeks off line & read this whole thread with interest.

How's everyones testing working out?

I'm especially interested in results from folk using Ecosoya CBA or 135 as that's all I can get here.

Also has anyone tried it with the Ecosoya PB?

I was wondering if it would help with the occasional cracks that I get.

My supplies are still out of action after my move so I haven't had the chance to play for weeks now & I have withdrawal symptoms, but I need to perfect some pillars soon, so I just might give the CO a go....now to find some locally.

Sally.

Hey sally I have not tried it in the Ecosoya PB yet but hey worth a shot. I do use the Ecosoya 135 and advance and after adding the CO I am going to use just the ecosoya 135. The throw is better and the tops are smooth. I was still getting wet spots with the advance and I hate that. The frosting has has been less with the cb135.

Hi gdawg,

that's good to know, CBA is so slow to cure I've given up with it but the CB135 is more prone to funky tops so anything to help that has to be good.

I don't usually dye my soy so frosting isn't much of an issue at the moment.

Sally.

scent works huh..well I just may have to go find that link now and try it lol geese just when I think I am safe and not going to order anything for a week or so from anybody

Peaks has an awesome Pink Sugar that throws very well in Soy,,,:2cents:

HOLY COW! :shocked2: I'm away for a few weeks, and I miss out on this hot thread?? Now I need to try this out!

geek

Hey Geek Welcome back!! :highfive: Was thinking on this thread and was wondering,,What do you think the Frostop was made of from MC and Barnloft?? Think maybe Coconut oil was involved in a hardened state:laugh2: or just crumbled white beeswax? Just a thought.

Been thinking a lot,,this can be dangerous at times:rolleyes2

I think I might, just for fun try the coconut oil in this big case of 464 Im not thrilled with. Just doesnt wanna throw with some FO's,,

the 444 is still working out great,,,:grin2:

I've been folllowing this thread fairly close. So did you all decide that the CO does help with frosting? I'm not so much worried about the scent throw. I scent mine at the max, but the frost is awful! I use CB Advance Soy. I really like it, but it frosts like mad. Which is strange since they are supposed to be one with the lesser frost. :confused:

By the way, I did find it at my local grocery store. It was $6.99 for a small jar. This one has a higher melt point, and it said it is extra refined? I think I will wait and go to super walmart. I don't want to use it though unless it really helps with the issues with soy. I'll keep watching this thread for more updates.

I am usiing the CO with 444 and my testing is turned out great, my scent throw seems to be better both hot and cold, I am not having as much frosting and my tops are smooth. Also have had no wick problems!

Thats Great news on the 444 BerryCakeCandles, I havent had much problems with frosting here since they re-batched it but ya never know so I am happy to here it works good!!!

I do have some 464 that doesnt throw very well even with Top-notch FO's and proper wicking, its bugging the crap outa me since I have a case of it here so I think I am going to go pick some CO up and give it a try,, this has been a very good thread!!!!!

TxGirl, I think you want the 76 (liquid at 76° F). We pour in an air conditioned space here (LA), so the temp and humidity are not as much of a problem, but we have to watch where we store them... Even in the house, some areas heat up more than others... and the Dog Days are not even here yet! :shocked2: I feel sure that the humidity (particularly the levels we have down here) has an effect, but have not seen too much about exactly how and why it affects soy candles... would love to know more about this. :)

I think the humidity/temp has a lot to do with wicking for sure. It stands to reason that it would affect the candle itself - like maybe we should "cook" 'em longer to allow excess moisture to evaporate maybe? You have raised a good question. I keep meaning to get an indoor hygrometer so I can measure the humidity inside during the summer vs. the winter. I do keep track of the ambient air temp when I am pouring, but don't know about the humidity...:confused:

Tried it again today using 1/2 Tablespoon per 1 # C-3 wax. It's better, but still slightly cauliflower tops...I'm afraid to add too much as it really makes the wax on the oily side...but I'm going to try just a bit more later. Much less humidity today so that could factor in also.

Note to self: Do not leave Black Cherry fo in a plastic cup for more than 30 seconds...melts through the cup:o

lol!!! had this happen last night with autumn lodge, what the??!!