adding Coconut oil?

My second batch with coconut oil came out better. The tops still a little fugly, but I torched them and they smoothed right out and look great. 2nd batch also didn't bleed oil on top like the first batch did...only difference the coconut oil was cold the first time (right out of fridge) and at room temp the 2nd time I added so maybe it blended better. This might be a keeper after all...even with the C3 wax...need to see how it burns.

Ok I read this thread and decided to try this. I have to say that so far I am sold! I hope this is not premature. I poured a tester on the 4th and lit it tonight and it is throwing wonderfully. Even cold it was strong, and this is with GB 444 (which needs several days to cure IMO). Not just the smell but I had no frosting on this one either, even though it got a little cold here last night (down in the 40's). The top was a little rough but I can work with that I think. I just hate the frosting.

I really hope this wasn't a fluke and it works this good everytime. Keeping my fingers crossed.

I use the plain ole' 76 degree coconut oil that you can buy in many grocery stores. I buy mine at Wally World

Ah soy, I looked for this tonight at Winn Dixie but they didn't have it. Is it located where the cooking oils live at Wally World or is it hidden somewhere more obscure? Any chance you have a brand name? TIA :)

For everyone trying this, be sure to keep your Coconut Oil in the fridge between uses to keep it fresh and keep the jar away from the heat of the presto pot when heating wax. When it goes bad it will definately change the fragrance in your candles. Ask me how I know???

Ask me how I know???

Ok, I'm game, how do you know? :laugh2:

I keep mine in the fridge and luckily I thought to look at the expiration date on mine. I had to throw it away and get out another jar.

I used to cook all the time with coconut oil but I can't get to my pots and pans. I have Bath and Body on one side of the counters and those cabinets for supplies then candle supplies on the other side of the counter.

Who said kitchen's were for cooking? :laugh2:

I dunno, but it isn't gonna blow up, so give it a try.:D I don't know why one would add it to palm wax... with soy, it is supposed to help control frosting... I don't think ya wanna do that with palm, although it might help tame the brittleness somewhat...

So here's another question to ponder... If the FO load of soy is *whatever it is*, does adding olive oil or coconut oil diminish the amount of FO the wax can hold? Have y'all found that to be true? What happens when too much oil is added to a wax? :shocked2:

I

So here's another question to ponder... If the FO load of soy is *whatever it is*, does adding olive oil or coconut oil diminish the amount of FO the wax can hold? Have y'all found that to be true? What happens when too much oil is added to a wax? :shocked2:

I would think it would since both are oils and wax can not distinguish one oil as a fragrance and another oil as coconut or olive. If the wax holds say 10% oil, oil is oil and 10% is 10%. I would also think that if you put in too much, the excess oil just will not soak in and puddle on the top of the candle. To me this makes sense and is JMO.

I would measure the coconut oil in the soywax ratio...say you measure out 16 oz of soy wax but want to add the co to it, I would discount the soywax measurement to add the co measurement to it, then add my normal amount of FO to that...does that make sense?

I would discount the soywax measurement to add the co measurement to it, then add my normal amount of FO to that...does that make sense?

Ummmm... not to me. :confused:

I think Meridith is correct - oil is oil, so if one's wax is rated to hold X% of FO, one should not go over that total. In other words, the total amount of *other* oil plus FO should not exceed the mfg.'s recommended FO load.

For example, from the NatureWax information sheet for C-3 wax, it says:

"The recommended fragrance load for this wax is 6% or less, although a 7 to 10% fragrance loads

may be added with the addition of additives to help control the fragrance."

This tells me that I should not exceed 10% TOTAL oil (IF I am using the Universal Soy additive to stretch the FO load). Which means I can have a 5% FO load and a 5% *other oil* load (hopefully) without creating my own version of oil candles.:shocked2: Or any combo that adds up to 10% and no more... :)

At least that is how I "read" it... One would have to check the manufacturer's specs for the particular wax used...

I generally use 8 - 9% FO. I still use the same amount when I add coconut oil to it and have had NO problems. I get beautiful candles and great scent throw. I have done alot of reading on other forums and followed the coconut oil threads. Not one person has had to change the amount of FO they were using.

The coconut oil is such a small amount that it hasn't affected anything except to get rid of frosting and help scent throw. It actually hardens the wax a little too. A few mentioned that they used 2+ tbsp per pound in their wax and the candles cracked. I actually had that happen on a couple candles I made but the cracking wasn't on the top, it was all the way around the sides like a fault line of an earthquake lol

Since last week, I've tried various amounts of coconut oil, and in C-3 wax about 1 teaspoon per pound seems to work best (using the same ratio of FO 1 oz per pound of wax.) It didn't really smooth out tops for me (even with more CO), but after 1st burn it is incredibly smooth and it definitely improved the cold and hot throw. I'm waiting on a couple of fragrances that I had given up on to see if it improves hot throw on them (dang that cure time...wish we could burn right away!)

I generally use 8 - 9% FO. I still use the same amount when I add coconut oil to it and have had NO problems. I get beautiful candles and great scent throw. I have done alot of reading on other forums and followed the coconut oil threads. Not one person has had to change the amount of FO they were using.

The coconut oil is such a small amount that it hasn't affected anything except to get rid of frosting and help scent throw. It actually hardens the wax a little too. A few mentioned that they used 2+ tbsp per pound in their wax and the candles cracked. I actually had that happen on a couple candles I made but the cracking wasn't on the top, it was all the way around the sides like a fault line of an earthquake lol

I think that is the key. You don't use enough to affect the overall amount of oil the wax will hold. I would imagine too its not much different than adding crisco to the wax which is a vegetable oil and another natural type additive to use. Again JMO since I've never put CO in my wax. But it does sound intriguing.

both are oils and wax can not distinguish one oil as a fragrance and another oil as coconut or olive. If the wax holds say 10% oil, oil is oil and 10% is 10%.
I don't know the answer to the question about coconut oil reducing the amount of fragrance the wax can hold; however, it's not really true that oil is oil, at least not when you're comparing coconut oil and fragrances. Coconut is a fixed oil, and FO is a volatile oil. Try dipping one strip of paper in coconut oil and another in fragrance oil, then let them sit overnight. You'll see that the two "oils" behave very differently on the paper, and I'm guessing they behave differently in a candle as well.

SO I tried this on Ecosoya PB. I had to drive to the other side of town to Wild Oats, but hey, all in the name of candles, right? I used 1 tsp pp of wax. 1.5 oz of FO pp wax (that is what I generally use in ecosoya pb). Cold throw awesome-- so so strong I walk by the candle and can smell it...and it is only one 3x4 pillar!. Better than in the past and nice shiny outside instead of the usual outside that gets alot of oogley fingerprints and frosting. No real frosting and it is two days later...going to burn it for hot throw testing later tonight or tomorrow. Very cool! FO Sage Pomegranate (very sagey, not so pomegranatey *shrug*

I don't know the answer to the question about coconut oil reducing the amount of fragrance the wax can hold; however, it's not really true that oil is oil, at least not when you're comparing coconut oil and fragrances. Coconut is a fixed oil, and FO is a volatile oil. Try dipping one strip of paper in coconut oil and another in fragrance oil, then let them sit overnight. You'll see that the two "oils" behave very differently on the paper, and I'm guessing they behave differently in a candle as well.

That is a very good point and one I never thought of. But I still question as to what affect it would have on the overall amount of FO the wax will hold.

I don't include it and added coconut at 1/2oz per lb of soy(cause I forgot what to add) and there is no puddling of oil. It was just shinier and I used 1.5 FO pp. Poured a candle in the square mason, the cold throw was great and so was the hot with no waiting to test. But my wick CD14, could have been smaller, had about 1" melt pool and a large flame and too hot a jar. So now I'm using 1/2 tesp (the same amount others have tested) and the look is about as shinny, cold throw is great, using same jar, wick and scent, Caribbean from NG with 1 drop yellow pp. If your having a wick that's just not big enough with certain scents why try a little coconut oil and see what it does? Off to make some more tarts and tarts.

I Had Just Read This Post..and Found This...swans Candles In Washington Said On Their Web Site They Will Soon Be Carring

Accu-blend Coco Wax-coconut Wax. They Say They Have A Shipping Warehouse In Irwindale Ca. If You Order Large Quanities..so This Might Be Something Of Interest..

Me Again...i Did Some More Searching And Looked Up Accu Blend, And Their Web Site Came Up, And It Is In Southern Calif. And They Also Say They Will Soon Be Carring It, It Guess They Are The Manufacture Of It..so Will Keep Watching..might Be Good To Have A Case Of It To Blend Blend Blend..lol