Jump to content

Yet another 6006 post, very frustrated, and very weak hot throw


Recommended Posts

I have made over 100 candles with IGI6006 testing literally every wick in 8oz tins and 8oz jelly jars, and none of them are consistent I just don't get it.

 

Example, I watch Jeff Standley's video's on 6006 as he loves it so much and I just don't understand why my results are so different.

 

I've made candles following his video to a 't' with the exact same scents and wicks and jars, and it's still crap, barely any hot throw. and I've got no idea how he uses a HTP104 in a 8oz jelly jar without it getting so hot, and on top of that I can't even get a 104 to burn longer than a couple hours without smoking. I've also tried the wooden wicks he uses, the medium lonestar wood wicks in that jar and again after a couple hours it's smoking and need s a trim already. Also the same results in the 8oz tins, he uses the large size and again it has a big flame that you can't control properly without literally babysitting it and trimming it perfectly before it burns good for another couple hours. I've also noticed he doesn't trim his wood to 1/8 of an inch so I don't know how people can burn his candles without trimming first as it would just be a huge smoking flame.

 

I know that wick testing is not a quick and painless process, I've been doing it for months now, but I also don't understand why my 6006 doesn't have this 'beast' hot throw like I keep hearing about. I've tried heating it to different temperatures, adding the FO anywhere from 185 to 165, different FO load from 7% all the way to 12%, and it's still rubbish. And on top of that I've still not found a wick that doesn't mushroom in this wax, by the 2nd or 3rd burn it's inevitable. The Zinc's burned good til about the 3rd burn  (still crap HT) but again mushroomed, the only way I got it to 'mostly' stop doing that was to drastically drop the FO load but then it has literally no HT.

 

I've spent hundreds of dollars just testing this specific wax the past few months and I've gotten nowhere with it, if anyone has any pointers I'd really appreciate it. At the moment I've been quite enjoying a blend of Problend-400 and Soy but I'm getting a bit tired of complicating things by mixing waxes.

 

TLDR:- Can't find a wick to work with 6006 properly and HT is practically non-existent.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, ErronB said:

I have made over 100 candles with IGI6006 testing literally every wick in 8oz tins and 8oz jelly jars, and none of them are consistent I just don't get it.

 

Example, I watch Jeff Standley's video's on 6006 as he loves it so much and I just don't understand why my results are so different.

The magic of television?

don’t believe everything you watch on YouTube 😜

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, TallTayl said:

The magic of television?

don’t believe everything you watch on YouTube 😜

 

After testing as many wicks as I have, it's definitely magic of internet videos. I would be shocked to see a candle burn for more than a hour or 2 with how he wicks them. I just see so many people in the groups saying how they use the same setup as him I feel like I've lost my marbles and I'm missing something? It would be different if I could just wick the damn stuff nicely but the no HT thing is really baffling me.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So now you have tried with 6006. Try something else. problend and soy is good and YOU have better control of the ratio blend.

I tested one wax for a year then ditched it, it wasn’t doing what I wanted. Yes, and wi5 YouTube observe but it’s not the final answer.

Hot throw how did you test what size room? I burn candles in an open kitchen but to test throw I go to the top of my stairs and that’s where if they throw the fragrance goes up to and lingers. If you have a draft that changes things. If you have been burning too many candles at once your nose just can’t pick up the scents anymore.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Consistency. Not every candle oil is going to throw well. You have to test them. Some you have to wick differently to burn well.

i would suggest testing another wax. By testing waxes you really learn more about different types paraffin versus soy, and ratios.

It will test your patience. Haha don’t believe the myth making candles the easy way!

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, ErronB said:

I have made over 100 candles with IGI6006 testing literally every wick in 8oz tins and 8oz jelly jars, and none of them are consistent I just don't get it.

 

Example, I watch Jeff Standley's video's on 6006 as he loves it so much and I just don't understand why my results are so different.

 

I've made candles following his video to a 't' with the exact same scents and wicks and jars, and it's still crap, barely any hot throw. and I've got no idea how he uses a HTP104 in a 8oz jelly jar without it getting so hot, and on top of that I can't even get a 104 to burn longer than a couple hours without smoking. I've also tried the wooden wicks he uses, the medium lonestar wood wicks in that jar and again after a couple hours it's smoking and need s a trim already. Also the same results in the 8oz tins, he uses the large size and again it has a big flame that you can't control properly without literally babysitting it and trimming it perfectly before it burns good for another couple hours. I've also noticed he doesn't trim his wood to 1/8 of an inch so I don't know how people can burn his candles without trimming first as it would just be a huge smoking flame.

 

I know that wick testing is not a quick and painless process, I've been doing it for months now, but I also don't understand why my 6006 doesn't have this 'beast' hot throw like I keep hearing about. I've tried heating it to different temperatures, adding the FO anywhere from 185 to 165, different FO load from 7% all the way to 12%, and it's still rubbish. And on top of that I've still not found a wick that doesn't mushroom in this wax, by the 2nd or 3rd burn it's inevitable. The Zinc's burned good til about the 3rd burn  (still crap HT) but again mushroomed, the only way I got it to 'mostly' stop doing that was to drastically drop the FO load but then it has literally no HT.

 

I've spent hundreds of dollars just testing this specific wax the past few months and I've gotten nowhere with it, if anyone has any pointers I'd really appreciate it. At the moment I've been quite enjoying a blend of Problend-400 and Soy but I'm getting a bit tired of complicating things by mixing waxes.

 

TLDR:- Can't find a wick to work with 6006 properly and HT is practically non-existent.

 

 

 

 

 

 

I don’t know your process but that may be the problem. One thing that will kill the HT in 6006 is a lack of stirring. I stir the wax before I add the FO, then I stir for 2 minutes, and I stir before I pour. Another problem may be insufficient cure time. I have found that for many FOs two weeks is not enough. As for wicking I recommend starting small and working your way up until you find the right wick.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It is not my "regular" wax, but I do use 6006 fairly frequently, and it works well for me.

Regarding the Standley candle videos, yep, it's "magic".  Imho, and HTP 104 in an 8oz. jelly jar is way too big.  I bought his 8 oz. jelly jar with the HTP 104 and ... well, you can read my review on this forum 😏  No HT, a burning disaster.  

My latest 6006 candle has a diameter of over 4".  It is triple wicked with HTP 73; the FO is Sandalwood vanilla from Brambleberry.  I let it cure a good 2 weeks; it burned well, and had a great HT. 

My  "regular" waxes are the IGI 4786 (I hate the re-pour though!) and the CBL 125.

HTH 🙂 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Everything you have explained is part of the candle making process. There is no other way and no short cut so you are on track as far as that goes. And yes, hundreds of dollars later but it’s worth it if you love making them.

Problend 600 works well without mixing. As far as wicks go the KEY is finding the right combo of wax, wicks, FO, and container that work all together. You’ll get there!

Candle making videos are just basic information. He over wicks many of his candles. But it’s good you tried his method and you see for yourself that something is not working. 🌸

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, NightLight said:

So now you have tried with 6006. Try something else. problend and soy is good and YOU have better control of the ratio blend.

I tested one wax for a year then ditched it, it wasn’t doing what I wanted. Yes, and wi5 YouTube observe but it’s not the final answer.

Hot throw how did you test what size room? I burn candles in an open kitchen but to test throw I go to the top of my stairs and that’s where if they throw the fragrance goes up to and lingers. If you have a draft that changes things. If you have been burning too many candles at once your nose just can’t pick up the scents anymore.

 

For my HT tests I used a small bathroom, and a medium sized office, with the doors open and closed. I don't test in my candle making room because I can't smell anything at all when there's a billion candles and fragrance oils laying around lol. The only time I can smell something is when there's a large wooden wick involved, and even then it doesn't run me out of the room. I've only ever had one candle do that with a regular wick, Pineapple Upside Down Cake from NG. God, that scent was nasty, but I could literally smell it the other side of the house after 24 hours of cure.

 

 

 

12 hours ago, NightLight said:

Consistency. Not every candle oil is going to throw well. You have to test them. Some you have to wick differently to burn well.

i would suggest testing another wax. By testing waxes you really learn more about different types paraffin versus soy, and ratios.

It will test your patience. Haha don’t believe the myth making candles the easy way!

I have tried so far :- 464, Problend-400, 4630, 6006, Joy Wax, cheap nasty stuff from Hobby Lobby, and palm wax.  I've learned a lot about their burn characteristics, but still nothing makes me go OMG THIS IS AMAZING lol. And yes, I've had some pretty crap luck with scents but unfortunately I have to use very specific ones as it's part of my business, so I'm not like most people where they can just ditch a scent and move on if it doesn't perform well, I am stuck trying to get these to work. I'm not under any illusion that every scent can be made to throw well, it really sucks, but I have to try literally everything I can before giving up!

 

 

11 hours ago, bfroberts said:

The advice (and I use that term loosely) on you tube is extremely unreliable.  You'll find much better information here.  What FO are you using?  Do you have other wicks on hand to try?  How long are you curing?

Thanks for responding, I've read a lot of your posts over time :) I mainly use Candlescience, Flaming Candle, Indigo, and some Nature's Garden thrown in. Mostly the scents are of plants and greenery, oceany type stuff, and random weird stuff like novelty. My latest ones that I have tested from Flaming Candle were really week HT but lovely CT, Cactus Blossom, Green Clover Aloe, and Bamboo Type. The Sea Salt & Orchid from Candlescience I really enjoy too, but again I haven't had much luck with a good HT.  I have almost complete sets on hand of Eco, CD, HTP, Premier, LX, and some Zinc left. Cure time I usually test after a couple days but some I've left for a couple weeks or a month with not much difference.

 

 

9 hours ago, Sebleo said:

As Ravens said, those wicks are too big for that container. What other sizes have you tried? 

For the 8oz Jelly Jar I've tried a range of smaller HTP's, Premier, Eco, and selection of wooden wicks. Wood performs good but no matter how small I use it still smokes after just a couple of hours.

 

 

11 hours ago, CandleRush said:

Everything you have explained is part of the candle making process. There is no other way and no short cut so you are on track as far as that goes. And yes, hundreds of dollars later but it’s worth it if you love making them.

Problend 600 works well without mixing. As far as wicks go the KEY is finding the right combo of wax, wicks, FO, and container that work all together. You’ll get there!

Candle making videos are just basic information. He over wicks many of his candles. But it’s good you tried his method and you see for yourself that something is not working. 🌸

 

 

I will give the Problend 600 a shot, I've noticed Flaming Candle don't have any of the main IGI waxes in stock I'm wondering if they've got some beef going on or they're just taking a while to restock. I need to try some of their tart wax too. 

 

And yeah, after I sat and tested literally everything I could think of that he does in his videos I couldn't help but wonder if there's something I'm missing because so many other people in the FB groups claim to be using the same stuff, so that really threw me lol. I should have just plucked up the courage to post here a long time ago and get some pointers, but I find that I would rather go through all the failing myself so that I can say I've 'been there done that' rather than say 'oh it didn't work for x person' and take that as gospel :)

 

 

 

12 hours ago, Forrest said:

I don’t know your process but that may be the problem. One thing that will kill the HT in 6006 is a lack of stirring. I stir the wax before I add the FO, then I stir for 2 minutes, and I stir before I pour. Another problem may be insufficient cure time. I have found that for many FOs two weeks is not enough. As for wicking I recommend starting small and working your way up until you find the right wick.

 

Thanks for replying Forrest, I've read a lot of your posts! I tried the whole 'lower temp' adding FO that the 'internet' and FB groups swear by but I had ZERO luck with that. My process is heat the wax to about 190 just to get it open nicely, add FO around 180-185, give it a good stir for a couple mins, then depending on the container is when I pour. I do it hot for the jars because I preheat those to avoid adhesion issues and let it all cool down slower together, in a tin I'll just wait till around 150 and it has a nice top with no sinkholes. 

 

I did read your 6006 tests, that was very interesting, however my results were different to yours as I used a decent load of FO and dye. Like for example the first couple of burns with the zinc's would go nice, but after that they would smoke and mushroom in the tins. I thought to myself, well, must just be too big, but wasn't the case, anything smaller than a 44 would never reach FMP.

 

That's also interesting you say about the cure time, I'm not as well versed as you with 6006, but I was under the impression that because it's 70% paraffin it wouldn't 'need' longer than a couple days, yet alone a matter of weeks!. I have tried a couple I've left alone for a few weeks and it has made no difference to me. I'll probably give up on this wax if Wick's Unlimited's tests don't come back with something decent (I'm about to send them a package to get them to help me). 

 

 

 

11 hours ago, Ravens said:

It is not my "regular" wax, but I do use 6006 fairly frequently, and it works well for me.

Regarding the Standley candle videos, yep, it's "magic".  Imho, and HTP 104 in an 8oz. jelly jar is way too big.  I bought his 8 oz. jelly jar with the HTP 104 and ... well, you can read my review on this forum 😏  No HT, a burning disaster.  

My latest 6006 candle has a diameter of over 4".  It is triple wicked with HTP 73; the FO is Sandalwood vanilla from Brambleberry.  I let it cure a good 2 weeks; it burned well, and had a great HT. 

My  "regular" waxes are the IGI 4786 (I hate the re-pour though!) and the CBL 125.

HTH 🙂 

I just read your review of his candle, and I totally believe your experience! It blows my mind that he apparently sells so many of them and is looked up to like some kind of candle guru. Sure, he does post a lot of videos, but after reading some of the veterans posts on here he is apparently just a magician. 

 

I was about to do a triple wick 4" candle so I will give that a shot with HTP73's and some SW vanilla and see how that goes! I've been meaning to try the CBL-125 for a while now just haven't gotten around to it, I'll probably do an order soon.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, CandleRush said:

See, your already putting things in perspective!🌸

 

I'm just gonna accept the fact that 6006 does not like me, but I will try another batch from a different vendor just to rule out the possibility of a couple bad slabs before I give up with it :)

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6006 is not hard to work with.  I wouldn't jump ship yet.  Based on what you've got on hand, pour one 8oz jj with the Sea Salt & Orchid from CS at 6% FO load with an LX 16.  Wait a week.  You should have a very good HT with that, relative to the size of the candle, of course.  Not saying it'll be perfection, but it should put you pretty darn close.  
FWIW,  this wax DOES benefit from a cure, IDC what anyone says.  I know what I know. 
Good luck!

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, bfroberts said:

6006 is not hard to work with.  I wouldn't jump ship yet.  Based on what you've got on hand, pour one 8oz jj with the Sea Salt & Orchid from CS at 6% FO load with an LX 16.  Wait a week.  You should have a very good HT with that, relative to the size of the candle, of course.  Not saying it'll be perfection, but it should put you pretty darn close.  
FWIW,  this wax DOES benefit from a cure, IDC what anyone says.  I know what I know. 
Good luck!

I will do exactly that and see how it goes :) Thanks!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/1/2019 at 8:57 PM, bfroberts said:

6006 is not hard to work with.  I wouldn't jump ship yet.  Based on what you've got on hand, pour one 8oz jj with the Sea Salt & Orchid from CS at 6% FO load with an LX 16.  Wait a week.  You should have a very good HT with that, relative to the size of the candle, of course.  Not saying it'll be perfection, but it should put you pretty darn close.  
FWIW,  this wax DOES benefit from a cure, IDC what anyone says.  I know what I know. 
Good luck!

Just following up with my results after testing this. You're absolutely right 6006 does benefit from leaving it longer than a couple days, and the wick size you suggested was pretty much bang on right. Unfortunately it mushroomed like crap after the first hour at only 6% load, and did it the same with some other FO's I use too.

 

 I take my hat off to anyone who has found a wick that gives good HT and doesn't mushroom bad with 6006, I couldn't do it after spending months testing it, I'll be sticking with my other parasoy blends. Thanks for everyone's suggestions!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't use your wax, just wanted to add that sometimes you have to give in on something.  I tolerate wet spots and an occasional mushroom with certain scents.  If you can get a good, safe burn and a decent hot throw you may just have to be happy with some scents since you say you can't drop them.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, ErronB said:

Just following up with my results after testing this. You're absolutely right 6006 does benefit from leaving it longer than a couple days, and the wick size you suggested was pretty much bang on right. Unfortunately it mushroomed like crap after the first hour at only 6% load, and did it the same with some other FO's I use too.

 

 I take my hat off to anyone who has found a wick that gives good HT and doesn't mushroom bad with 6006, I couldn't do it after spending months testing it, I'll be sticking with my other parasoy blends. Thanks for everyone's suggestions!

6006 will mushroom less after it has cured longer.  Or you could try a different wick type.  CD, Eco, etc.   It's rare to create a candle that doesn't have some imperfection.     
 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, kandlekrazy said:

I don't use your wax, just wanted to add that sometimes you have to give in on something.  I tolerate wet spots and an occasional mushroom with certain scents.  If you can get a good, safe burn and a decent hot throw you may just have to be happy with some scents since you say you can't drop them.

I'm up for the candles having some flaws like wet spots, at the end of the day they are only gonna come back again when the temps mess with the glass lol. The mushrooming thing though, just can't deal with it as bad as it is in 6006, burns too hot compared to the other waxes I use.

 

 

11 hours ago, bfroberts said:

6006 will mushroom less after it has cured longer.  Or you could try a different wick type.  CD, Eco, etc.   It's rare to create a candle that doesn't have some imperfection.     
 

That's true, it does mushroom less but it's still too much to deal with when I get better results from other parasoys. Problem is, I can't even avoid all these issues by using wooden wicks over cotton etc because it burns so hot, the flame is erratic after a short time with little control no matter what size you use. As you probably already know, blends with more soy are a lot more stable (like 50/50), or even Problend paraffin on it's own isn't so hot and cures faster with the scents I use so I think I should just drop the old ball and chain from this wax now lol. The only thing I like about it is I can get away with using less FO. If the wicks weren't such an issue I would have settled on the apothecary jars with double zincs, I made one along with the JJ with LX that you suggested the other week and it's a decent performer minus the major mushrooms (tried it with 44/24, 44/32, and 51).

 

 

4 minutes ago, lovelyscents said:

The 464 with problend 400?

I use that, and Joy wax at the moment. I'm still experimenting with more straight paraffins. Wasn't impressed with 4630, gonna give 4627 a try next I think.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

I've used 6006 for 15 years. In 6 oz tins, I use cd 7 or 8 almost always. In 11 oz tureens, I double wick with z-32 or z-28. I always use 10% fo. We have done 100s of fundraisers and never had a problem. Some fos just don't throw so don't use them. We don't cure our candles but they might be stronger at 2 wks.  In 15 yrs, we have gotten 1 bad case of wax. You'll know if wax is bad, it won't burn. I used to buy fos direct from Agilex but now use fos from BCN, Aztec, Fragrance Buddy, WSP and Lone Star. I'm not sure you are using good fos.   IMHO
 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/30/2019 at 11:30 PM, ErronB said:

 

After testing as many wicks as I have, it's definitely magic of internet videos. I would be shocked to see a candle burn for more than a hour or 2 with how he wicks them. I just see so many people in the groups saying how they use the same setup as him I feel like I've lost my marbles and I'm missing something? It would be different if I could just wick the damn stuff nicely but the no HT thing is really baffling me.

 

Possible it could have something to do the the different altitudes that you all live in? I don't know. Possible that all their candles are actually hot, sooty infernos? IDK. But I did just recently come across one of his wick testing videos and the candles looked scary; hot, over-wicked messes with lots of carbon balls floating in the melt pools. He didn't seem to have any problems with the way they looked or performed. 😲 Go figure? That is not my scene. Luckily, I now have enough experience under my belt to know when I see a crappy and dangerous candle making/testing video on the internet and can quickly move on. Shew, thank goodness. LOL. Be careful of what you watch.

Edited by Laura C
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Laura C said:

 

Possible it could have something to do the the different altitudes that you all live in? I don't know. Possible that all their candles are actually hot, sooty infernos? IDK. But I did just recently come across one of his wick testing videos and the candles looked scary; hot, over-wicked messes with lots of carbon balls floating in the melt pools. He didn't seem to have any problems with the way they looked or performed. 😲 Go figure? That is not my scene. Luckily, I now have enough experience under my belt to know when I see a crappy and dangerous candle making/testing video on the internet and can quickly move on. Shew, thank goodness. LOL. Be careful of what you watch.

 

I don't know what I was thinking and I know better, I'm embarrassed I even made this post. I had tested other waxes like 464 for a very long time before 6006 and I was really convinced I must be doing something not quite right because him and his FB group were all making their candles the same way lol. I'm not usually that gullible. I was under some weird impression this wax was a completely different beast, and it is, but not in the way I thought originally.

 

I ended up moving onto other paraffins because the mushrooming and wick fussiness was too much effort when it isn't my favorite wax. On top of that, the last slab I tested actually had better HT, weird. I haven't been using it for years so I don't know how consistent it's been over a long span of time but I did read a lot of people complaining about the same thing.

 

If there's any newbies to candle making reading this, DO NOT BELIEVE THE YOUTUBE CANDLE MAGICIANS, listen to Laura and be careful what you watch! lol.

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, ErronB said:

I don't know what I was thinking and I know better, I'm embarrassed I even made this post. I had tested other waxes like 464 for a very long time before 6006 and I was really convinced I must be doing something not quite right because him and his FB group were all making their candles the same way lol. I'm not usually that gullible. I was under some weird impression this wax was a completely different beast, and it is, but not in the way I thought originally.

 

I ended up moving onto other paraffins because the mushrooming and wick fussiness was too much effort when it isn't my favorite wax. On top of that, the last slab I tested actually had better HT, weird. I haven't been using it for years so I don't know how consistent it's been over a long span of time but I did read a lot of people complaining about the same thing.

 

If there's any newbies to candle making reading this, DO NOT BELIEVE THE YOUTUBE CANDLE MAGICIANS, listen to Laura and be careful what you watch! lol.

 

LOL. Hey @ErronB, well thanks but I don't claim to be an expert, LOL. There are some people on here that do hold that title, they know their stuff. I'm constantly learning like everyone else. You shouldn't feel bad because we have all been there. We've all been there and back again; confused, befuddled, disgusted, mentally exhausted, etc. I know myself, I've made some silly posts or comments on here that I felt stupid for saying at times. Dealing with candle making and testing can drive you bananas at times but if you really enjoy it then you keep at it. If you keep participating and keep making candles then the more you'll learn.

Enjoy! 😊

Edited by Laura C
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/1/2019 at 8:48 AM, bfroberts said:

The advice (and I use that term loosely) on you tube is extremely unreliable.  You'll find much better information here. 

 

Oh yes, I second that. 😄 I have found myself shouting obscenities at the YouTube screen and my husband doesn't know what's going on. LOL.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...