Yet another 6006 post, very frustrated, and very weak hot throw

On 2/22/2020 at 6:18 PM, CaptnKush said:

I don't use 6006 so I don't know the wicking, but when I watched this and saw the wicking he used I thought this can't be right. All mushrooms and oversized wicks for those small jelly jars. Does he only use HTP or what? Well here it is

Did you post the wrong video? I don't wick anything in this one. 

What do you wick the jelly jar with when using this wax?

If you're referring to my how to make candles video you are correct. The HTP104 is the wrong wick for that jar, the 93 works much better. I would love to be able to edit that video. The wood wick, way off. 
I do not use either of those in the jars now and haven't for quite some time. I've made more current videos with better wicks. 

Edited by StandleyHandcrafted

On 7/23/2019 at 2:44 PM, Laura C said:

Possible it could have something to do the the different altitudes that you all live in? I don't know. Possible that all their candles are actually hot, sooty infernos? IDK. But I did just recently come across one of his wick testing videos and the candles looked scary; hot, over-wicked messes with lots of carbon balls floating in the melt pools. He didn't seem to have any problems with the way they looked or performed. 😲 Go figure? That is not my scene. Luckily, I now have enough experience under my belt to know when I see a crappy and dangerous candle making/testing video on the internet and can quickly move on. Shew, thank goodness. LOL. Be careful of what you watch.

Building on this for a ec.  Environment has a LOT to do with performance. It is not uncommon for me to create a candle for a partner in a dry, warm environment that burns 100% different than how it tested (with video proof) in the humid midwest summer or cold winter here. 10 degrees of temp difference also makes a ginormous difference. I test in 70*F rooms. When a partner in LA burned the same candle in their 82*F room the candle developed VERY tall sooty flames.

I found the most dramatic environmental factor burn differences in paraffins like 4627 and 4786. 

• Like 1

On 6/19/2020 at 9:24 AM, StandleyHandcrafted said:

Did you post the wrong video? I don't wick anything in this one. 

What do you wick the jelly jar with when using this wax?

If you're referring to my how to make candles video you are correct. The HTP104 is the wrong wick for that jar, the 93 works much better. I would love to be able to edit that video. The wood wick, way off. 
I do not use either of those in the jars now and haven't for quite some time. I've made more current videos with better wicks. 

OOOOPS!!!!!  Ahahah. Yes as a matter of fact I did post the wrong video. One of those days I guess :D  My bad, anyways as far as 93, to me that is still  too big for the small jars I saw you using  in one of your other 6006 video. I thought the jar you were using had a 2 1/2" opening at top and then tapered down slightly. The glass is going to be so hot when it gets down mid way. I just see lots of your followers getting excited thinking they can just copy what they see you making and start selling without knowing they need to test.

• Like 1

On 6/22/2020 at 6:42 PM, CaptnKush said:

OOOOPS!!!!!  Ahahah. Yes as a matter of fact I did post the wrong video. One of those days I guess :D  My bad, anyways as far as 93, to me that is still  too big for the small jars I saw you using  in one of your other 6006 video. I thought the jar you were using had a 2 1/2" opening at top and then tapered down slightly. The glass is going to be so hot when it gets down mid way. I just see lots of your followers getting excited thinking they can just copy what they see you making and start selling without knowing they need to test.

I currently use the 104 in the 9oz straight jar which works really well. The jelly jar works nicely but will get a touch hotter toward the bottom like you mentioned. I have never had one get crazy on me though even with abusive burn testing. 

The 83 does work but tends to get a little overworked near the top with some oils. 

What FO do you use with 6006? 

I would also agree, some people get very excited when they see me do something that looks easy not realizing that this takes a lot of time not shown on the video and heck, even using the same recipe can yield different results with so many other factors. It's a tough line to bounce between when doing these. :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/25/2020 at 9:46 AM, StandleyHandcrafted said:

I currently use the 104 in the 9oz straight jar which works really well. The jelly jar works nicely but will get a touch hotter toward the bottom like you mentioned. I have never had one get crazy on me though even with abusive burn testing. 

The 83 does work but tends to get a little overworked near the top with some oils. 

What FO do you use with 6006? 

I would also agree, some people get very excited when they see me do something that looks easy not realizing that this takes a lot of time not shown on the video and heck, even using the same recipe can yield different results with so many other factors. It's a tough line to bounce between when doing these. :)

When I was using Soy, I used CS, Lone Star, Aztec and some others with it.  No particular preference, other than what smelled good to me. I have since stopped using Soy all together. Too much time waiting for it to cure and the number of wicks I had to go through with Soy that it isn't worth it to me. But the biggest problem I had with it was the inconsistency from each batch of wax, and you will read on this forum that it is a common problem. I do love the look of a Soy candle though,  I currently make my own blend using 2281, I also use 4786, and 4627. I still have Lab & Co and some Coco83 that I mess with as blenders when I get bored, but its Paraffin for me. You just can't beat how easy it is to wick, and the great Hot and Cold throw you get after a day.

But hey, Gratz on your video popularity, I think it was your videos that got my wife into the candle business and then I got hooked. Hope its giving you a lot of business.

On 7/3/2020 at 3:01 PM, CaptnKush said:

When I was using Soy, I used CS, Lone Star, Aztec and some others with it.  No particular preference, other than what smelled good to me. I have since stopped using Soy all together. Too much time waiting for it to cure and the number of wicks I had to go through with Soy that it isn't worth it to me. But the biggest problem I had with it was the inconsistency from each batch of wax, and you will read on this forum that it is a common problem. I do love the look of a Soy candle though,  I currently make my own blend using 2281, I also use 4786, and 4627. I still have Lab & Co and some Coco83 that I mess with as blenders when I get bored, but its Paraffin for me. You just can't beat how easy it is to wick, and the great Hot and Cold throw you get after a day.

But hey, Gratz on your video popularity, I think it was your videos that got my wife into the candle business and then I got hooked. Hope its giving you a lot of business.

Thank you so much and congratulations! I love seeing people get something from the videos and creating something meaningful from them. 
I really like the ease of use and the overall look of soy to but I would agree. It's such a gamble with what you get in dealing with it that I had to drop it years ago as well. I have a couple scents and a "proven" jor/wick combo that I do make for those that want soy. But other than those I steer clear. 

I have not tried the coco83 yet, I hear great things. I am about to order some and get testing. 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 10/1/2019 at 4:34 AM, JLee said:

Just found this site. I too am frustrated with all waxes,wicks etc. I thinking of trying 6006 but don't want to waste tons of money. I typically use 8oz mason jars and ribbon wicks and FOs from CS  and Northwood Candle supply. Ive been using soy wax from Northwood and haven't been able to get good CT/HT.  I've tried the 464 and had nothing but issues. Been at this for several years and just cant get the right combination.  Can anyone give advise on whats the preferred wax and wicks. 

Hello, so I have been using soy wax and Ribbon wicks from NorthWood for years, and now the ribbon wicks are discontinued. I love the soy wax from NorthWood, but it’s so expensive. And now I need to find a good wick that gives a great HT. I would love any great soy wax and wick combos that work great for 16oz mason jars!!!!

thank you!!!

• 11 months later...

I am fairly new use 6006 I have found it extremely difficult to get any hot throw out of anything that is not large enough to be double wicked, which creates a problem for the 3 inch jars.  If I have double wicked I can get great HT with 6 to 8%. I have the most luck with LX wicks or premieres. I also pour at 150 because I can't imagine if you have to make any quantity poking holes in a bunch of candles.