Lab & Co coconut wax

pughaus

My usual coconut wax has been out of stock so I ordered Lab & Co's fancy "Virgin Coconut Creme" described as a blend of coconut and soy.  

It's very pretty, soft, pure white and odorless in packaging befitting a wax one might buy from Neiman Marcus with the price go with it.  With freight, it cost me $5.40 lb.

Poured at 170 degrees into a 9 oz straight jar yesterday-  my tester has perfect adhesion, no sinkholes, a smooth flat top and excellent cold throw.  So far, it is exactly as described on the Lab & Co. site. 

Has anyone else given this stuff a try?

w1.png

w2.png

Edited by pughaus
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yes, I've seen that site and that wax but have not tired it due to the high price. Packaging is nice and the wax sounds great. Nice, the candle is starting out good for you. Interested in how the candle wicks and burns. Please let us know and thanks for sharing.

8 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

Wow! Great packaging!

if that candle burns as it should think of how much $$ you’re ahead. All the $ blown on poorly performing wax makes my candles cost way more than that 😒

So true.  I really bought this as a temporary coco substitute to blend with soy but it's worth considering the true cost of time spent tweaking and repairing candles made with a finicky and inconsistent wax.  Yes this is almost double the cost of my usual blend but if it takes less time, needs less FO and produces a superior finished product it may be worth it.  But that's a lot of "ifs"...   We'll see.  

• Like 1

Following this.  Not too far from IL and my family is there.  Might be nice to play with and have some "upscale" candles for myself!  I always end up with mostly burned tester remnants marked with masking tape!  Excited to hear how wicking and HT work out for you with this wax.

2 hours ago, TallTayl said:

Did you end up with a kit? 

As far as I can find, their coconut creme is coconut 83 slabs. The description, melt point, packaging size, etc. all seem identical.

curious which wicks they shipped if it is a kit.

No kit, just a 5lb bag of wax.  
It really doesn't look, smell or feel like coco83. This wax is less greasy/sticky feeling than coco83, whiter, softer and odorless.  

I am currently working my way down wick sizes on my testers- it's proving to a typical coco when it comes to wicking.  

I am feeling less excited about this wax after asking their "help desk" online person some questions.  Seems like it's only tested with their wood wicks, they recommend a 9-10% fragrance load (yikes!) and haven't tested any other fo percentages.  They said it does yellow but they've never tested UV inhibitor.  Also, their recommended cure time is 24 hours.  I asked if HT improves w/ a longer cure time, and they said they've never tested anything longer than 24 hours.  Didn't get the sense I was speaking to anyone with real knowledge of chandling.  :( . Also, they don't allow pick ups--only e-commerce with shipping.  

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, ellajoan said:

They said it was from certain fragrance oils.  I just didn't get the sense that they had tested this wax in anything but their own line of candle products.

Ha! I'm not surprised woodenwick's answer to any wicking question is wood, wood or wood.  

Then again, if any coco wax supplier was able to provide useful coconut wicking info beyond the most general recommendations I wouldn't still be testing every friggin wick in various coconut waxes a year later.  

If I worked on a cocowax help line and someone asked me what the best wick for cocowax wax I'd just say " a small wick "  ;)

• Like 2

Sorry for being a bit skeptical here..

I sense this just is products being repackaged in fancy packaging with a 200% markup...

I can also not stand their licensing deal thing with that you have to give them free advertising on all your products after you BOUGHT their wicks.. otherwise, they will sue you. 

Quote: We request that you provide us with your company name and the brand name (if different than your company name) for each candle that you manufacture so that we know where our wooden wicks are being used in the marketplace; that you are protected under the licensing agreement; and, your candle products are not susceptible to patent infringement.

Cmon, you aren't Bill Gates, are you?

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

Exactly @strugglebrother. Likewise Atkins and Pearce are taking over manufacture of the wooden wicks. What then? Thank goodness I can't get those wooden wicks to work acceptably 🙃

http://www.atkinsandpearce.com/candle-solutions/#

I was aiming to use them in the beginning and I called Candlewic and Flaming Candle who sells a different wood wick than the patented one and they assured me that I didn't need to mark up my products with anything as long as I bought it from them.

But, same as for you, I could never really get them to work so I left it there...

I don't really like the attitude of this company in particular

Didn't the lady who owns it had her assistant to order in others candles with wood wicks to, later on, get in touch and harass people who didn't put her company name on their candles?

Edited by strugglebrother

21 hours ago, pughaus said:

Ha! I'm not surprised woodenwick's answer to any wicking question is wood, wood or wood.  

Then again, if any coco wax supplier was able to provide useful coconut wicking info beyond the most general recommendations I wouldn't still be testing every friggin wick in various coconut waxes a year later.  

If I worked on a cocowax help line and someone asked me what the best wick for cocowax wax I'd just say " a small wick "  ;)

Wow!  You have more patience than me!  I played with coconut wax a little last year.  I tried maybe 2 candles and gave up!  LOL!

On 11/29/2018 at 3:46 PM, pughaus said:

lol it seems woodenwick isn't exactly a fan favorite on here.  I probably shouldn't talk about how well my tests are going with this wax  ;)

I liked the idea of those wooden wicks, they were just inconsistent from wick to wick in the same bag.

Customers don’t manage candles well, making that a problem, too. 😢

i hope that wax works well for you. You’ve earned a big win.