Lab & Co coconut wax

pughaus

20 minutes ago, Thecandlegirl said:

@pughaus you know you’re stuff bcus your percentages are spot on. I didn’t want to go through a 3rd party and possibly risk delaying my orders if they were out of stock so I went straight to the source. 

I'm really intrigued by this. I've been making candles for over two years now. I went from Naturewax C3 to Golden Brands (AAK) 464 and now finally the Lab and Co Coconut Creme wax. I didn't think independent candle makers were even able to buy candle wax directly from the source without going through a distributor. I couldn't buy directly from Naturewax or Golden Brands, and I know Lab & Co doesn't make their own wax, but I just assumed I wouldn't be able to go "straight to the source" as you're saying.

3 hours ago, Bambi said:

@candleRush as someone else said, there really isn't too much of a price difference between Lab & Co and Candles and Supplies.  Lab & Co 5lb slab is $14 while Candle Supplies 5lb slab is 13.99.  The difference come when ordering in bulk and even then it's a few dollars more because lab & co gives 20% off anything over 40lbs (I believe).  I've chalked it up to pick your poison and which fares better with shipping. 

I typically order 50-lb boxes of wax and have never received a discount. I always assumed volume discount was something much larger. I really hope that's the case and I haven't been losing money!

20 minutes ago, JeremyM said:

I'm really intrigued by this. I've been making candles for over two years now. I went from Naturewax C3 to Golden Brands (AAK) 464 and now finally the Lab and Co Coconut Creme wax. I didn't think independent candle makers were even able to buy candle wax directly from the source without going through a distributor. I couldn't buy directly from Naturewax or Golden Brands, and I know Lab & Co doesn't make their own wax, but I just assumed I wouldn't be able to go "straight to the source" as you're saying.

@JeremyM you are right. Independent candle makers are not able to buy direct. I’m not an independent candle maker. 

4 hours ago, Bambi said:

@candleRush as someone else said, there really isn't too much of a price difference between Lab & Co and Candles and Supplies.  Lab & Co 5lb slab is $14 while Candle Supplies 5lb slab is 13.99.  The difference come when ordering in bulk and even then it's a few dollars more because lab & co gives 20% off anything over 40lbs (I believe).  I've chalked it up to pick your poison and which fares better with shipping. 

@bambi. Yes,  at the end of the day they are the same wax at Lab & Co & Candles and Supplies. It just depends on freight costs of where you’re located. 🤷🏼‍♀️

1 hour ago, JeremyM said:

I typically order 50-lb boxes of wax and have never received a discount. I always assumed volume discount was something much larger. I really hope that's the case and I haven't been losing money!

@JeremyM, im going to find the email I was sent when I asked the question to confirm. 

4 minutes ago, Bambi said:

@JeremyM, im going to find the email I was sent when I asked the question to confirm. 

@JeremyM I can't find her response at the moment but I do know they offer a discount at either 40 or 50lbs because some other candle makers mentioned it as well. Now im going to have to reaffirm what the actual % and weight is. If I were you, I would definitely call or email them. 

1 hour ago, Thecandlegirl said:

@bambi. Yes,  at the end of the day they are the same wax at Lab & Co & Candles and Supplies. It just depends on freight costs of where you’re located. 🤷🏼‍♀️

@Thecandlegirl, so would you happen to have any insight into wicking this wax? I've tried them all but a running consensus in another candle group im in is CDN wicks work best. Just curious, :)

Edited by Bambi

New to the forum as I was looking to see if anyone has tested out Calwax in Southern California's candle blends? I am going to test out a few samples they have recently sent me.

I believe I was sent a slab of a blend called CedaSerica Coconut Apricot Blend, Ecowax CCN1 and EC26 Soy/Coconut Blend per the PDS that came with slabs. Does anyone have any insight on any of these? Since I cannot get ahold of Accublend they are the next closest wax manufacturer to me in SoCal. Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

The Ceda Serica coconut apricot blend had great glass adhesion and great hot throw.

The EC26 soy coconut had a much better cold throw than the Ceda Serica. Had good glass adhesion as well and less pricey than the Ceda Serica.

Leaning towards this one.

The CCN1 has me interested because it is ALL natural, no paraffin. Melt point is fairly low though. Not sure how this will work out for me being in SoCal.

It is also the most expensive out of the bunch. Very nice wax though.

Think I will be placing an order for the EC26 blend.

Thanks for the update! I currently mix soy with straight coconut from either of the two places I mentioned above with great results as well. It might be easier to use an already blended wax. I visited the website but could not find how much of soy and coconut are in their blends. I like knowing what I’m in for befor I try. 🌸

• 3 months later...

image.thumb.png.c1f6ae9674f9780966b51639b4fbcc1c.pngDoes anyone notice that it says call for free samples? I called them and they told me they never give away free samples and that I cannot buy directly from them that I have to go to cal candle and supplies . Is this place for real?

On 12/1/2018 at 1:01 PM, Timber said:

Are you kidding me??!!?? I live about 15 minutes from Dieterich! Drive thru it every day to work!

ETA:  I don't doubt that this is someone reselling a product.  Dieterich is a smaller rural town, maybe population 2000? Not much industry there: a bank, gas station, school, furniture store & septic business.  They tried a grocery store several yrs ago that went under. 

I contacted their office in Laguna and they sent me this message. WTF!! I am betting they buy direct from Accu-blend in Azusa

Thanks so much for reaching out. I am happy to help!

We do not have a storefront at this time. All of our sales are made through our E-commerce website.

Thanks so much and have a great week,
Edited by CaptnKush

37 minutes ago, CaptnKush said:

We do not have a storefront at this time. All of our sales are made through our E-commerce website

I'm not sure I understand- why is this so shocking?

The Lab Co coconut wax is not the accublend coconut wax that cal candle sells.   

Its not shocking, its frustrating. They are so close, quick drive for me and you and we still have to buy from another state and pay crazy shipping. Think I was more mad because I just got off the phone with Accublend and could hardly understand the lady because she barely spoke english then when I asked for the free samples that they offer on front page of their website and she told me they never give them out and that they will destroy their existing website. Yes she said that.

Edited by CaptnKush
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...
On 6/24/2019 at 5:01 PM, CaptnKush said:

Its not shocking, its frustrating. They are so close, quick drive for me and you and we still have to buy from another state and pay crazy shipping. Think I was more mad because I just got off the phone with Accublend and could hardly understand the lady because she barely spoke english then when I asked for the free samples that they offer on front page of their website and she told me they never give them out and that they will destroy their existing website. Yes she said that.

Their webpage hasn't been updated in years and years.. It's very very outdated.

Accu Blend just moved their facility to Perris, CA. Henry Shishido, who used to run the place, have vanished / or left the company. I think they might have new ownership.

You have always been able to buy from AccuBlend by the pallet. All smaller sales are handled by California Candle Supply. They are based in Glendora and are family operated, very very very nice people and good service. If you are willing to drive to Azusa, why not go to Glendora and pick up your supplies? 

I buy wax by the pallet from AccuBlend and smaller amounts I get from California Candle Supply. Many wax manufacturers don't even let you buy by the pallet straight from them, they require a minimum of 4 pallets and a quite large minimum of a yearly spend.

IGI is a big head scratcher for me, for instance. The main distributor on the west cost, where I am, have higher prices than the main distributor on the east coast. But shipping is more from the east coast. Shipping of wax and glass is what kills most of my profits so I'm really trying to be smart and order in bulk to earn more. If I had more storage space I would get so much wax that I could survive for a couple or years each time.

There are ways to deal with bigger factories, but they really don't need your business in the first place. That's why they have distributors who can handle customer support, have updated websites, handle larger volume of calls from smaller customers etc...

Edited by strugglebrother
  • Like 1

On 6/24/2019 at 6:16 PM, CaptnKush said:

image.thumb.png.c1f6ae9674f9780966b51639b4fbcc1c.pngDoes anyone notice that it says call for free samples? I called them and they told me they never give away free samples and that I cannot buy directly from them that I have to go to cal candle and supplies . Is this place for real?

Yes, as @strugglebrother said, their website is very old, at least 5-6 yrs old, I've never noticed any updates. I've even asked them to make updates to their site, especially adding links to all their distributors but it never happened, LOL. They use to give you free wax samples, you only paid for the shipping. That was like 3-4 years ago when I got mine. I've just always needed small quantities, 60 lbs or less so I would buy their coconut 83 wax from their distributors, California Candle Supply (West Coast) or Candles and Supplies (PA East Coast). For better or worse Coconut 83 wax (C83) has experienced formula changes over the years just like a lot of the other waxes out there. 

• 2 weeks later...

I recently got free samples from Accublend but ultimately it was not the wax for me. It took a few times to get in touch with the right person but eventually I was connected with Scott who is Sales / Marketing. He was very friendly. The minimum order isnt too crazy but can be a lot if you're not in the position to buy a few pallets at a time.