Lab & Co coconut wax

pughaus

3 hours ago, Kerven said:

Was your previous wax the Candlewic coconut oil wax, by any chance? I noticed it was removed from their site just before I was going to give it a try.

Candles and Supplies, which I pay a small fortune to ship cross country.  So, for me, the Lab & Co wax is about 10% less expensive to use. 

On 11/24/2018 at 1:27 PM, pughaus said:

FYI: the wax ships from DIETERICH, IL 62424  not Laguna Beach as I had hoped.  However, if you live near IL... (cough cough @TallTayl😉

Are you kidding me??!!?? I live about 15 minutes from Dieterich! Drive thru it every day to work!

ETA:  I don't doubt that this is someone reselling a product.  Dieterich is a smaller rural town, maybe population 2000? Not much industry there: a bank, gas station, school, furniture store & septic business.  They tried a grocery store several yrs ago that went under. 

Edited by Timber

4 hours ago, Timber said:

Are you kidding me??!!?? I live about 15 minutes from Dieterich! Drive thru it every day to work!

ETA:  I don't doubt that this is someone reselling a product.  Dieterich is a smaller rural town, maybe population 2000? Not much industry there: a bank, gas station, school, furniture store & septic business.  They tried a grocery store several yrs ago that went under. 

It's shipped from a 3PL fulfilment center.  

I'm wondering if this VIRGIN COCONUT CREME is really just Naturewax Coconut 2 which is pure coconut wax with 2% soy added. It looks exactly like PUGHAUS'S  picture of the VCC wax above... I have some so I'm going to whip up a candle and see what I think .. I think I'll order some of the VCC too and compare.. the Coconut 2 is much more affordable

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Great! I'd love to hear about it!  I looked at C2 on Northstar too and it does sound very similar.  At $4.99.lb + free shipping it is less expensive than the Coconut creme in smaller 5 lb qtys..  However I just re-ordered another 20 lbs of the VCW and w/ freight included on that order my cost went down to $4.24 lb- a big improvement.

If it is just coconut 2 then the melt point of 112 will be a problem when the weather warms.  The description of c2 indicates it is for blending purposes, not a stand alone. 🤔

F8A71549-95B3-4804-8C44-A2DCB9B432A6.png

the product, honestly, looks like coconut oil 92 degree with a percent of USA. USA is just a soy monoglyceride emulsifier made by Cargill from what I can tell. 

11 minutes ago, pughaus said:

yeah,  the VCW has a listed MP of 122 but I was buying it as a blender anyway.  Funny thing is, I haven't blended it yet.  I have found it surprisingly wickable all by itself.

That’s awesome! Does it get fairly warm where you are? All of my candles are burning so differently in the winter in northern Illinois.

5 hours ago, TallTayl said:

If it is just coconut 2 then the melt point of 112 will be a problem when the weather warms.  The description of c2 indicates it is for blending purposes, not a stand alone. 🤔

F8A71549-95B3-4804-8C44-A2DCB9B432A6.png

the product, honestly, looks like coconut oil 92 degree with a percent of USA. USA is just a soy monoglyceride emulsifier made by Cargill from what I can tell. 

According to Cargill, this can be used alone as a container wax.. I buy from Northstar, I love them and the fragrances are outstanding.. anyways.. I made a candle today with the coconut 2 and 5% soy modifier from american soy organics and did 10% fragrance.. Sugared Spruce from Northstar.. I made the candle early this morning about 10hrs ago.. the cold throw is outstanding .. can't wait to test for HT.. I will do that tomorrow

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, pughaus said:

well, I googled the street address on the shipping label from my latest purchase of the VCC.  The address is the CandleArt building.  The plot thickens...🧐

There are some oddities between The Wooden Wick Co., Lumetique, and Candle Art, LLC. The agent/owner of Candle Art, LLC. had another business with the name of Wood Candle Wick, LLC, which was involuntarily dissolved in 2016 - about the same time a local paper reported that the owner had a pending wood wick patent application. The Wooden Wick Co. lists all of Lumetique's patents for the wooden wicks and they're supposedly licensed to manufacture the wood wicks.

There's a business entity called Wood Candle Wick Technologies, INC. in Laguna Beach. I assume this is The Wooden Wick Co.. If that's the case, the agent for both Lumetique and Wood Candle Wick Technologies, INC. is the same. Incidentally, both of these entities use the same address in their business license as well. Coincidence?

So, why would Candle Art ship a Lab & Co product, which was sold through The Wooden Wick Co.... And who/what is Lab & Co? Is that a DBA name for Candle Art or The Wooden Wick Co.?

Edited by Kerven
  • Like 2

Wow.  That's some sleuthing @Kerven!  It could be as simple as: Dayna Decker has some roots in IL or that area and knows or is even related to the folks at CandleArt and/or that facility either blends the wax or is centrally located and close to the where the wax is made, thus it makes sense to ship from that location.  I'll say this, the two companies: CandleArt and Lab & Co... sure have a different aesthetic.   I just want to know how I can get this cocowax for less $!  

• Like 1

On 12/5/2018 at 4:15 PM, Trappeur said:

So you don't even let your candles cure???? So you make today and burn tomorrow?   Am I reading that correct?

Trappeur

yes you read that correctly.. I burn the next day to test for wick and they smell amazing .. of course the longer they sit, they get even stronger.. but that's the beauty of coconut wax.. it has a very minimal cure time

On 12/17/2018 at 4:01 PM, pughaus said:

If I'm not mistaken, someone on here spoke to an Accu-blend rep and was told that the C&S coco container blend is coco83.

Candles and Supplies EASY BEADS COCONUT  is the 83  from Accublend ..  The coconut container wax contains soy, coconut and beeswax.

• Thanks 1

I'm a little late to the conversation (haven't been on this forum in a while), but I do use the Virgin Coconut Creme wax. I used to use 100% soy wax (464) but became so aggravated with inconsistencies, sink holes, and all of the other problems that give soy a bad rap, so I decided to make a change. To clear up a few things, the wax only comes in the fancy bag if you order small amounts. Anything over 40 pounds or so, and you get a big box full of wax slabs. No fancy packaging. I do miss the soy flakes, but I NEVER have any problems making candles now. I also use their wood wicks, and my candles come out absolutely perfect every single time. Peace of mind alone is worth the extra money I pay. I also increased the price of my candles to compensate. 

Also, just to be clear, this is not 100% coconut wax. It's a coconut wax blend with mostly coconut wax but also some soy wax. The only thing I don't like is, unlike other suppliers, they won't give you an exact percentage. They will just say it's mostly coconut wax. I suspect it's more soy than most other suppliers because I tried another popular coconut wax, and my wood wicks burned with a large flame. When I reached out to them for support, they said wood wicks just don't go with coconut wax. Not sure how this blend is different, but my flame heights are perfect. 

For anyone who is tempted to test this wax with wood wicks, I use 9 oz amber straight sided jars. Most fragrances work great with a booster wick with a width of 3/8" and a thickness of .03". They also have a different coconut wax blend that contains apricot wax instead of soy wax. It's a tad more expensive, but I didn't like it as much. It was softer than this wax. Those candles mostly required a booster wick with a .02" thickness. 

• Like 1

On 12/17/2018 at 4:01 PM, pughaus said:

If I'm not mistaken, someone on here spoke to an Accu-blend rep and was told that the C&S coco container blend is coco83.

the Candles and Supplies EASY BEADS COCONUT WAX is Coconut 83.. the coconut container wax is coco/soy/ beeswax.