Wicking Coconut Wax

ShineOn

@RuruThe coconut waxes vary a bit but seem to perform similarly... with a few exceptions. I haven't tried all of them, but from what I've read and experienced, they all have low melting points and require smaller wicking than required for the soy waxes. The Northwood coconut wax (looks like they're sold out) might work with C3. I can't say for certain as the their coconut wax claims to be paraffin-free, and I'm still convinced the coco83 I used had paraffin and tallow in it. I know the Candlewic coconut-apricot wax had paraffin in it. So.... It's worth a shot, but I'm not promising it'll work.

I have a blend of 50% C3 and 50% CW coconut-apricot that's fairly decent (I'm not 100% excited about the throw or the slight frosting and how it gave CS Blueberry Cheesecake the slightest hint of anise and licorice... but that could be an issue with the FO). It does form wet spots when poured hot but the wet spots are nearly large enough to cover the entire surface, so it's not a problem for me. Top surface is smooth with a slight sheen, although it's prone to slight cratering. I poured hot around 185F. Something lower around 130-150F might give better results with glass adhesion and cratering. It's not the best blend I've tried but it's a definite improvement over straight soy, IMO.

The consistent problem I have with 5050 blends of soy with coconut ( any soy and any coconut) is cracking. Some crack while cooling (444 I’m looking at you.).

Some crack after being burned if the air temp is cool (happened to me this week in a half burned candle). Sometimes the cracks take days, weeks or even months to appear in an unburned candle.  Any candles sitting on the shelf waiting to go to customers, or on the wholesalers shelves are prone to it. Drives me mad. 

The cracks run down the entire candle.  Something about soy wax just makes the crystal structure fragile with the coconut. 

Wet spots will be unavoidable over time. Mine which appeared picture perfect develop the wet spots during burns, which makes total sense as the wax and container are changing temps irregularly. So, either choose a vessel that hides the imperfection or embrace it. 

Wow.  I want to avoid cracks for sure.  Wicking coconut/blends is super fun.  😒 😅

And I want to try adding 1-2 % Beeswax or stearic to C6.  I'm reading a bunch and still confused.  I know beeswax is tricky, and doesn't always meld with coconut.  I'm wondering if the blend I C 6 might take a little though.  

The biggest single problem for me is the melt pool often being on the narrow side, and not reaching a full enough melt pool.  Some hang up to be caught up in subsequent burns is fine.  I feel like that golden ratio is only happening 1/3 of the time.  I'm not getting caverns or craters yet (knock on wood).  Is a melt pool like that  (too narrow due to being overwicked. I was thinking it was under.  Anyway, I want to make the burn slower, I think?  Because the rate of consumption seems fast.  I'm wanting the candles last a little longer.

Any thoughts appreciated.  

Edited by Jenni Wix
Spelling

On 12/6/2018 at 10:27 AM, Kerven said:

I've since moved away from 464 and coco83. C3 has been more reliable than 464, and Candlewic's coconut-apricot wax doesn't have the smell that the coco83 had.

Glad to see someone else thinks coco83 literally stinks.  I can't stand the smell of it, even in a finished scented candle that old grease smell comes through for me.  

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
On 9/24/2017 at 11:37 AM, ShineOn said:

Has anyone had any luck wicking coconut wax? I am using coconut wax 83 from Calcandlesupply and I am having a hard time finding proper wicks. I've tested different FO's, different jar sizes. So far very FO and jar combinations  work well, the majority of them give me a tall smoking flame. Sometimes the first burn will be fine but the second burn will give me a tall flame even after trimming the wick or vice versa. I've tried eco, CD, LX, HTP and nothing. 

I've been using Coconut wax for years... you need to use SMALL WICKS.. if you are getting a tall, smoking flame and poor melt pool it's because the wick is way too big... coconut wax and coconut blends are nothing like soy wax and should not be treated as such

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, PINKT said:

I've been using Coconut wax for years... you need to use SMALL WICKS.. if you are getting a tall, smoking flame and poor melt pool it's because the wick is way too big... coconut wax and coconut blends are nothing like soy wax and should not be treated as such

Amen to this. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/25/2017 at 8:56 PM, Moonstar said:

Interesting topic. Earlier I was looking at the Northwoods site + was browsing the coconut wax blend. The reviews were all very positive + some even commented that the

wood wicks that they sell also worked great  hmmmm  ???? Theres also a wax on there thats for tarts but it seems pricey ??? a 10b sample bag $34.95... Has anyone tried 

this one ? American soy has a votive/tart blend too but from what I recall it was significantly cheaper for 10lbs that the one from backwood. my head starts spinning on 

what to try. I was looking at CSB 3022 from Connies Candles + was thinking of mixing some paraffin or some Ecosoya CBxcel that I have left over. Since the coconut wax

blend is very soft, does the candle burn down very quickly ?

I do use the tart blend from NorthWoods. I agree it’s pricey, but I really like it! I used their soy also for my candles, but I finally just couldn’t afford it... was super expensive, but scent throw was great and it was easy to work with. I did just switch to the coconut blend from candlesandsupplies, as I live 40 min form them, so i don’t have to pay shipping which is wonderful. I am also having the same issue of large flame, I have used cd and now eco wicks in it. So far I like the eco better. Im going to call candlesandsupplies today to see what they suggest. I have never tried the rrd wicks ever, so was thinking of giving them a try. I have used htp in plain soy. Wasn’t crazy about the curling in both those and the cd wicks.

• 3 months later...
On 1/10/2018 at 11:06 AM, pughaus said:

Eco6- too tall flame and too much smoke - nixed the test after the 2nd 3 hr burn b/c it was just too smokey.  

RRD40- small, calm flame, moderate mushrooming after 2 hrs.  This one's not going to make it.  It's building a wall halfway through.   Prob. need the next size up on this one.  It might even drown on next burn.  

Med. Ribbon wick- I tried this a fluke and it's turning out to be the best by far. Go figure.  Just the right sized and calm flame throughout.  I can not make this thing smoke if I try.  No mushrooming at all on these ribbon wicks , which is nice too.   I'm 85% through a full test burn on this and if the cling that's left on the jar melts down completely in the next few hours, this will be a perfect burn.  

So its been a while with your testing of coconut 83. I see you had good results with the ribbon and I also read  you like wood wicks. Which have you settled on with this wax?

On 9/17/2019 at 5:03 PM, CaptnKush said:

So its been a while with your testing of coconut 83. I see you had good results with the ribbon and I also read  you like wood wicks. Which have you settled on with this wax?

I moved on from that wax a long time ago and would never use it today.  Not a fan.

13 hours ago, pughaus said:

I moved on from that wax a long time ago and would never use it today.  Not a fan.

Which wax did you decide on if you don't mind me asking? What was it about the 83 that you didn't like, Im guessing the mushrooming because thats what I am dealing with?

38 minutes ago, CaptnKush said:

Which wax did you decide on if you don't mind me asking? What was it about the 83 that you didn't like, Im guessing the mushrooming because thats what I am dealing with?

I don’t mind at all. I’m still using my coconut 83 simply because I have a ton of it literally. But I modify it depending on the fragrance and the container.

Sometimes it needs some soy (444. Midwest, c3, c1... )

Sometimes it needs another botanical wax to make it work properly.

The choice of wicks was the hardest. Try CD and CSN. They have worked the absolute best for me. Avoid the temptation to over wick. It throws just fine wicked small. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, CaptnKush said:

I was never able to wick that wax to my satisfaction.  Constant supply chain issues and the need to add to that wax to make it usable all turned me off.  I use my own blend now out of readily available ingredients and IMO have a superior wax that performs more reliably for me. And is easy to wick.

Plus,  I really like knowing exactly what's in my wax and how much.

Edited by pughaus
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 10 months later...
On 8/22/2018 at 11:35 PM, Kerven said:

I'm still convinced that Coco83 has paraffin in it. The MSDS even lists paraffin fumes as an inhalation hazard.

However, I am a little confused by the spec sheet for the hybrid coconut wax and the MSDS for the "all natural" coconut wax. The spec sheet states "Accu-Pure 83" while the MSDS states "All Natural Coconut #83". Dunno what sort of confusion is going on there.

That said, has anyone noticed a weird smell to their Coco83? I just went through my testers to see if I had made anything previously that might be promising to pick up again, and the one blend that I made with Coco83 still stinks. Very greasy. Like lard or some form of animal grease. Wondering if there's tallow-derived stearic in it. I mean, it absolutely smells like someone had been frying in it... or they reclaimed oils used in restaurant fryers to make that wax. Haven't used any FO's in it but I am a little concerned that the smell will carry over.

The coco does have a funny smell to it. I bought a couple cases about a year ago and it still has a "off" smell to it. In addition to the  funny smell on the coco83 , we have used their accu-par series for years making melts, no candles. about a year or two ago the company moved its location in california. They were once out of Azusa and then moved to their current location. Something has gone wrong with their wax since the move. The accu-par 25 that we once loved for melts now has a horrible french fry smell to the wax and basically leaves it useless in candles and melts. We bought $2000 worth of wax and had it shipped to Ohio only to find the beloved wax had changed after the move. The company refuses to work with us on replacing the wax so  we are stuck with crap wax.

I had another professional wax company test a sample of the accu-par and their opinion is the wax has either animal fat in it or it was overheated and basically burnt when pouring the slabs.

Accu-blend says they do not use animal fat in their waxes but honestly their stock of ingredients come from overseas, i doubt they know what they are putting in their wax.

I know that some keys employees left the company after the move . I think they were bought by another company and are now producing sub par waxes.

• Sad 1

I purchased easy beads wax to try and cannot stand the smell. It smells to me of canola oil which I can smell a million miles cold and when burning. Nope. Coconut waxes, I don’t think they are there yet. They keep changing the formulas, always out of stock.

better off formulating your own.

• 3 months later...