Wicking Coconut Wax

ShineOn

Has anyone had any luck wicking coconut wax? I am using coconut wax 83 from Calcandlesupply and I am having a hard time finding proper wicks. I've tested different FO's, different jar sizes. So far very FO and jar combinations  work well, the majority of them give me a tall smoking flame. Sometimes the first burn will be fine but the second burn will give me a tall flame even after trimming the wick or vice versa. I've tried eco, CD, LX, HTP and nothing. 

• Like 1

I tried an rrd40 in coconut wax with orange patchouli fragrance. The north woods coconut wax mushroomed pretty badly and burned a bit hotter than the candlesandsupplies coconut wax. The C&S coconut wax with the same wick seemed appropriately sized in The 8oz tin.

The throw from the two 8 oz tins burning side by side filled my basement within 30 minutes.

The coconut wax from C&S is a coconut/soy blend, as is the coconut from Northwood. I'm not certain what the percentage of soy is in the C&S blend. I'd guess it's a proprietary blend with a higher % of soy. The Northwood blend is 90% coconut with the rest being palm and soy. Another proprietary blend, I'd guess... but maybe coconut 83 in disguise? Coconut 83 by ACCU-Blend (Accu-Pure 83), sold by Calcandlesupply, who also claims that it is mostly coconut wax, is a coconut blend that contains vegetable and soy waxes. Candlewic's coconut blend contains apricot and a small amount of paraffin. They supposedly blend their own, so I'm not familiar with the percentages.

Northwood's high percentage of coconut might explain the mushrooming. I had both these issues - large flame, smoke/mushrooming - with Candlewic's coconut/apricot blend. However, I did manage to "tame" it by mixing with soy. I've found that, as the percentage of soy increases, coconut/soy blends are much easier to wick in comparison to straight coconut. That may be due to my familiarity with working with soy. Nevertheless, I'm testing 75/25 and 50/50 blends of my own creation with ECO wicks and the results are very promising.

I'd suggest blending the coconut wax with soy. Since coconut 83 already has a bit of soy in it, I'd start with a 60/40 blend, coconut to soy. The soy you use may have an impact. I used 464 with my blends. Personally, I think blending spares the headache of trying to wick a high percentage coconut. To add to that, you get properties from both waxes depending on the ratio.

• Like 4

Yes! 

I am finding that coconut wax needs to be blended. I'm currently trying 5% beeswax to harden it a bit.  I have also tried blending it with 444 and 464 soy in separate tests.  It's hard to strike that balance. Too much soy dampens the scent throw.

I just ordered some CDN wicks to see how they do.

I also made a batch with wood wicks. Ah, what the heck? I'm in too deep to back out now. :)

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Kerven said:

Northwood's high percentage of coconut might explain the mushrooming. I had both these issues - large flame, smoke/mushrooming - with Candlewic's coconut/apricot blend. However, I did manage to "tame" it by mixing with soy. I've found that, as the percentage of soy increases, coconut/soy blends are much easier to wick in comparison to straight coconut. That may be due to my familiarity with working with soy. Nevertheless, I'm testing 75/25 and 50/50 blends of my own creation with ECO wicks and the results are very promising.

I'd suggest blending the coconut wax with soy. Since coconut 83 already has a bit of soy in it, I'd start with a 60/40 blend, coconut to soy. The soy you use may have an impact. I used 464 with my blends. Personally, I think blending spares the headache of trying to wick a high percentage coconut. To add to that, you get properties from both waxes depending on the ratio.

I think you're right. The soy does tame those coconut wax flames.  

Edited by ComfortandJoy

Oooh, how did the wood wicks turn out? I've seen some retailers using those in coconut wax candles.

Beeswax was next on my list to try blending with coconut. Had a hunch that hardening the coconut wax might lessen the wild flames, and people use coconut oil with beeswax so why not.

I'd like to get my hands on other natural waxes but the list of suppliers here is very short compared to those in Europe. They have canola, almond and all sorts of things to play with. I'm a little jealous.

• Like 1

Interesting topic. Earlier I was looking at the Northwoods site + was browsing the coconut wax blend. The reviews were all very positive + some even commented that the

wood wicks that they sell also worked great  hmmmm  ???? Theres also a wax on there thats for tarts but it seems pricey ??? a 10b sample bag $34.95... Has anyone tried 

this one ? American soy has a votive/tart blend too but from what I recall it was significantly cheaper for 10lbs that the one from backwood. my head starts spinning on 

what to try. I was looking at CSB 3022 from Connies Candles + was thinking of mixing some paraffin or some Ecosoya CBxcel that I have left over. Since the coconut wax

blend is very soft, does the candle burn down very quickly ?

@ComfortandJoy and @Kerven the beeswax does sound like a logical choice seeing that Ive seen coconut oil added to beeswax candles like Kerven said.

Comfortandjoy did you use white beeswax. May I ask where you purchased the beeswax. I saw some at NG that seemed reasonable. The reviews I saw on 

Backwood on the coconut was said the wood wicks worked well so IDK, worth a try. The ribbon wicks look really cool too .

9 hours ago, TallTayl said:

I tried an rrd40 in coconut wax with orange patchouli fragrance. The north woods coconut wax mushroomed pretty badly and burned a bit hotter than the candlesandsupplies coconut wax. The C&S coconut wax with the same wick seemed appropriately sized in The 8oz tin.

The throw from the two 8 oz tins burning side by side filled my basement within 30 minutes.

I haven't tried RRD wicks. Not many suppliers offer them which makes me think that they're not as popular, but other candle makers have had success with them. I'll have to try them and hope these work better than all the others I've used. 

1 hour ago, Kerven said:

Oooh, how did the wood wicks turn out? I've seen some retailers using those in coconut wax candles.

Beeswax was next on my list to try blending with coconut. Had a hunch that hardening the coconut wax might lessen the wild flames, and people use coconut oil with beeswax so why not.

I just made the wood wick batch today and I will post results in a week or so.  I got mine from woodenwick.com - I like how they have several types/sizes.  I find most weeks tend to slump or lean inmy candles.  I'm guessing that won't happen with a rigid wooden wick.

The beeswax has helped tame the wick. :)

3 hours ago, ComfortandJoy said:

Yes! 

I am finding that coconut wax needs to be blended. I'm currently trying 5% beeswax to harden it a bit.  I have also tried blending it with 444 and 464 soy in separate tests.  It's hard to strike that balance. Too much soy dampens the scent throw.

I just ordered some CDN wicks to see how they do.

I also made a batch with wood wicks. Ah, what the heck? I'm in too deep to back out now. :)

7 hours ago, Kerven said:

The coconut wax from C&S is a coconut/soy blend, as is the coconut from Northwood. I'm not certain what the percentage of soy is in the C&S blend. I'd guess it's a proprietary blend with a higher % of soy. The Northwood blend is 90% coconut with the rest being palm and soy. Another proprietary blend, I'd guess... but maybe coconut 83 in disguise? Coconut 83 by ACCU-Blend (Accu-Pure 83), sold by Calcandlesupply, who also claims that it is mostly coconut wax, is a coconut blend that contains vegetable and soy waxes. Candlewic's coconut blend contains apricot and a small amount of paraffin. They supposedly blend their own, so I'm not familiar with the percentages.

I tried blending coconut wax with 5% and 10% of Soy 464 and that didn't help much. Maybe I this wasn't enough soy. 

At first, I did not want to ad more than 10% of soy because I didn't want the soy to affect the scent throw,  but maybe you're right Kerven. Perhaps by adding more soy it makes the coconut wax easier to work with. I'd rather have a candle with a lighter scent throw than an improperly wicked one. I'm going to try a 70/30 and a 60/40, coconut to soy and hope this works.

1 hour ago, Moonstar said:

Interesting topic. Earlier I was looking at the Northwoods site + was browsing the coconut wax blend. The reviews were all very positive + some even commented that the

wood wicks that they sell also worked great  hmmmm  ???? Theres also a wax on there thats for tarts but it seems pricey ??? a 10b sample bag $34.95... Has anyone tried 

this one ? American soy has a votive/tart blend too but from what I recall it was significantly cheaper for 10lbs that the one from backwood. my head starts spinning on 

what to try. I was looking at CSB 3022 from Connies Candles + was thinking of mixing some paraffin or some Ecosoya CBxcel that I have left over. Since the coconut wax

blend is very soft, does the candle burn down very quickly ?

Even though the flames are quite large the wax still burns slowly, a lot slower than soy wax. It also gives an amazing scent throw and it looks nicer. That's why I'm really trying to work with coconut wax and spending a lot of time + money testing. I think that once I get a good blend and appropriate wicks it'll be worth it. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Moonstar said:

@ComfortandJoy and @Kerven the beeswax does sound like a logical choice seeing that Ive seen coconut oil added to beeswax candles like Kerven said.

Comfortandjoy did you use white beeswax. May I ask where you purchased the beeswax. I saw some at NG that seemed reasonable. The reviews I saw on 

Backwood on the coconut was said the wood wicks worked well so IDK, worth a try. The ribbon wicks look really cool too .

Hi moonstar!

I use white beeswax.  I got a small amount from candlesandsupplies but I might get it from NG next if I end up using it.

I have not noticed that it burns faster than a regular soy candle.

I tried the ribbon wicksfrom Northwood but I didn't have much luck with it. The small was too small and the medium too big.

It would be awesome if the wood wicks work but I'm not holding out much hope judging from what I've read here and elsewhere about them.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ShineOn said:

I tried blending coconut wax with 5% and 10% of Soy 464 and that didn't help much. Maybe I this wasn't enough soy. 

At first, I did not want to ad more than 10% of soy because I didn't want the soy to affect the scent throw,  but maybe you're right Kerven. Perhaps by adding more soy it makes the coconut wax easier to work with. I'd rather have a candle with a lighter scent throw than an improperly wicked one. I'm going to try a 70/30 and a 60/40, coconut to soy and hope this works.

ShineOn, I am currently trying gb444 at 25% and 40% in  test batches.  I'm hoping to increase firmness and give the wax more body. 

Give the ultimate wood wicks from BcN a try. They are engineered, so more consistent than the other ones that look like slivers of wood I have found.

i wish I would have thought to send some to you last time. 

The only thing I dislike about wood wicks is if the user does not trim them the flames can cause the candle to burn too hot. Underwicking slightly with the wood wick can help control that somewhat.

i love love love the ultimate wicks in glass glow when they are trimmed right... we are entering our dark season soon. Those glowing glass candles are gorgeous to gently iLuminaire the room. Glass glow throws scent very well to, so win win.

53 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

Give the ultimate wood wicks from BcN a try. They are engineered, so more consistent than the other ones that look like slivers of wood I have found.

i wish I would have thought to send some to you last time. 

The only thing I dislike about wood wicks is if the user does not trim them the flames can cause the candle to burn too hot. Underwicking slightly with the wood wick can help control that somewhat.

i love love love the ultimate wicks in glass glow when they are trimmed right... we are entering our dark season soon. Those glowing glass candles are gorgeous to gently iLuminaire the room. Glass glow throws scent very well to, so win win.

Thanks, TallTayl!

I tried the ones from woodenwick.com because they have various widths and thicknesses.  Have you tried them?  I can send you some.  I will check out the ones from BcN.  I see they also have Softwood wicks and they say they are good for coconut wax.  Are these new?

The glass glow candles sound amazing!

• Like 1

I have some from woodwicks.com. Some burned great. Others would not light at all. I can send the whole lot to you if you want. 

I have bought the various woods from bittercreek, but have not had a chance to try them at all. 

What i I like about the ultimate sis they come in various sizes and are simple to trim to customize.

12 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

I have some from woodwicks.com. Some burned great. Others would not light at all. I can send the whole lot to you if you want. 

I have bought the various woods from bittercreek, but have not had a chance to try them at all. 

What i I like about the ultimate sis they come in various sizes and are simple to trim to customize.

Thanks, TallTayl!  I will definitely give those a try!

1 hour ago, coachtom said:

TallTayl,

How much fragrance load were you able to add to the glass glow with the wood wicks? It recommends 9-12% which seems like a lot. Thanks!!

I only go with about five maybe 6% max on  Glassglow. Never felt it needed to be scented any higher.