Another new jar and new labels

Trappeur

,Well, I have another new jar and new labels I could use everyone's suggestions on.  I have an appointment next week with "Ace Hardware" for them to figure out what they want.  Will be my second appointment so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

So which jar do you like the best as far as lids go?  And then below I designed some labels so which label do  you like best too?

#1 Jar with standard gold lid:

CIMG9057.jpg

#2 jar with old timey black lid

CIMG9029.jpg

#3 jar with old timey rust lid

CIMG8964.jpg

#4 jar with cheaper standard black lid

CIMG9073.jpg

#5 label without any border

Ace.jpg

#6 label with white border

ace%20white%20border.jpg

#7 label with light grey foggy border

ace%20very%20light%20grey.jpg

#8 label with deep turquoise/blue border (to match the trees)

Ace%20label%201%20with%20teal.jpg

#9 label with gold border and feather

I just fell in love with this feather design for no special reason and just made a label out of it

Black%20Feather%201%20enlarged.jpg

#10 label with black border, deer and trees

Ace%20label%203%20with%20deer.jpg

So which jar do you like best with the right lid and which label do you all like best?

I could also leave the twine off the jar....

Also too, here in the mountains Ace Hardware is now carrying a big line of rustic furniture, hickory, log beds, etc.  Either my name "Trappeur's Lodge" will be on the label or their own name.  Ace Hardware to me is too tacky to go on a label so I've been racking my brain for a name with out putting "hardware" on it and the only think I could think of to be a little classy for a hardware store is "Home Fragrance" under just Ace.  If anyone can think of something better, by all means, I'm open ears.

Thankyou again everyone for all your input "as usual"!

Trappeur

• Like 1

15 hours ago, earthfriendly said:

Ok, I like the old timey black lid and the old timey rust lid best and #10 label.;)

You know Earth, out of all the labels I put up, this is the label that I think they will pick......they are big into guns as hunting is big here and they have so much merchandise with deer on it...so that is my thought...Thanks!

Trappeur

Old time black lid is my fav. My fav label is the light grey fog label. However not so sure that would go better with the lid/jar combo like the one in the picture with the black edging. Would have to see a pic of the grey label with black lid.

Edited by Candybee

Yes, I like that label also very much.  I'm thinking if I use that forest label I'm not sure that the black will do it.  But I do think that if I got the old timey zinc lid or a silver lid, the jar and label would work very nicely together.  What do you think?

Trappeur

• Like 1

I also like the black old time lid with #5 or #7 label.  If you want a border, I think the grey plays nicely off of the foggy forest and makes your label "pop" as opposed to the white or green.  I think the rusty lids make it look less sophisticated, but that's just my opinion.

Also love the twine; it adds a bit of softness to the final product and gives it a homey touch.

I love love your feather label, but perhaps not for Ace Hardware.

Old time rust lid, followed by old timey black.

Labels, the first one, #5. Any label with a white/light border would be wasted space against a clear jar with light wax inside.

I really like the use of just 'Ace'. Everyone will know what it means, and as you have it, it's more classy.

Good luck.

For me, label #5, lid #4 with no twine. BUT, that's just my personal aesthetic and I don't know what your market is like. Ace actually used to be a client of mine (I work in advertising) and they were pretty strict about the way their brand and logo were used...something to keep in mind. I suppose if it's a franchise (as some locations are) you might be fine with deviating. 

I also LOVE that feather label! 

6 hours ago, Trappeur said:

Yes, I like that label also very much.  I'm thinking if I use that forest label I'm not sure that the black will do it.  But I do think that if I got the old timey zinc lid or a silver lid, the jar and label would work very nicely together.  What do you think?

Trappeur

Yeah. The grey and zinc would look perfect together.

Also, I agree with jbradshaw about nixing the twine. I think it would look better without. Also, you don't have control over how the jars will be handled in the store and the twine could end up looking shabby. I think I used twine once at one craft show and after that one show took the jute off every single jar in every case of candles. Was a chore but the candles looked much better IMO.

Oh I love that little jar!  Dang you Trappeur, I'll be selling candles again if I keep looking at your posts, lol.  Your labels are always beautiful and I couldn't even focus on them this time because I kept scrolling back to those jars.  There's nothing prettier than rust to me so I love that rusty lid.

Well all you candle enablers, lol, lol...you all have been such a great help (as usual) and you have made me decide on the label.  Seems like everyone likes the forest of trees label - mostly #5.  I too am very happy with it.  I'm going to order tomorrow morning a page of labels like #5 (without the border).  As for the lids, I'm going to go with the black lid, but I think as much as I love the old timey which is my favorite, I think I will get the el cheapo ones in the black and I'm also getting pewter lids too.  Flaming is my main supplier and that is what they have.  I'm thinking with the smoky fogginess in the label it will compliment the pewter lid and then again I might like the black better.  I'll just have to get the labels on the jars.  I'll put up pictures again and you all can help me decide.   The old timey might be a little too rustic for the sleek label I'm going with.  But we shall see.  And too, I'll remove the twine too as JB suggested as it will I think make the jar a little more classier.  Yep Candybee, I know that route where customers can really mess up a good thing and have shabby looking jars once they start handling them.  When I had my shop that was such a pet peeve I had with things like that.  So yep, I'll ditch the twine.  And like you said, the candles will look better.

I don't think I mentioned it, but these are 8oz round canning jars that I found.  Just cutie patooties so I thought...lol  A buck each which includes free shipping.  What a deal! 

Thanks everyone for the compliments.  Oh KK...your funny!  Glad I could make someone laugh!

You all can keep the comments coming...

Trappeur

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Detto said:

I like the black old timey lid with #5 label. And what about the name Ace's Neighborhood Candles or Fragrances. Its a play on their neighborhood commercials.

Thankyou Detto.....I've never seen that commercial.   

Trappeur

Actually Candybee that has been a big problem for me....funny you should mention it....but I think I have it fixed.

All the labels I have put up the finished size is 1 1/2" square.  Zazzle doesn'tmake them any smaller as much as I have asked that company over the years for more assortments of different sizes....nothing as of yet.  

All the labels I have put up that have a border around them are actually going to be hand cut down once I get them.  The border comes off and the the label is now the correct size I need so they don't crease on the edges....You couldn't tell in the pictures, but they all have a crease or creases in the border.  I keep smoothing and smoothing them out and they still bounce back into a crease. sigh.....but once I cut the borders off they fit fine but they are "SMALL"....BUT at least they are smooth.

My other option was a hang tag but people still mess them up and they all get ratty looking after a while when they are sitting on a shelf, so I really didn't want to deal with that.  The other option was a label on the lid but I can't get them any bigger than 1 1/2" round with Zazzle and I like a label better on the front of the jar because it hides the wet spots as I do get them here and there so I always prefer a label on the jar so the eye focuses on the label and not on the jar itself that might have a wet spot.

So I have been in the same predicament as you....lol...It's never ending in this challenging world of candles....

Trappeur

• Like 1

21 hours ago, moonshine said:

JAR NUMBER 2 HANDS DOWN IS MY PICK

LABEL NUMBER 5 and 9....I want 9 for me pleeaasseee ?

Moonshine you are welcome to that label.....I just fell in love with it and ordered some samplesof them which they just came in yesterday, but I was extremely disappointed.  You couldn't even see the feather and I wound up throwing them out.  The only way you could see the feather is if it was going on a big label a real good size label.  When I got the label in, all I could see was a splatter of gold.  It just looked so rediculous....You didn't know what you were looking at.I was very disappointed.  If it didn't have the black background, I think it would have been really nice, but I couldn't change the background as it was locked.  Geesh I just loved it when I found it.  It was so different and the black being so dramatic with the irridescent gold I just loved.  I lean to black all the time.  But oh well.   If you still want it, I can give you the info on Zazzle.

Trappeur