Wax and Wick comparison testing. any interest?

Would there be any interest in "me" doing side-by-side testing of wax and wick combos?

here's what I'm thinking:

each month we choose a popular wax. I test in that wax various commonly available wick series. 

Test 1 will be an assortment of commonly available wick series in a big block of wax, much like a recent thread showing how various wicks burn with a goal of choosing a wick for the containers of test 2.

Test 2  burn the best performing wicks in that particular wax in 2 or 3 common containers (such as 8 oz mason jar and 8 oz tin? Possibly status jars?) make enough candles to hold back a set for testing after a "cure" period of several months.

Test 3 add to the best performing wicks - color or common fragrances.

test 4. burn candles held back from step 2 after a few months to note any changes in burn.

what I hope to accomplish:

- observe how different wick series behave in particular waxes.

- observe how the same wick burns in different containers (glass, tin, etc)

- observe how scent can change the wick performance.

I would be happy to video each of these to post on YouTube as a reference library.

what do you think?

• Like 4

2 hours ago, wthomas57 said:

good idea. but my resources are going to be tied up like crazy through fall and winter. Already are.  :/

Which it totally understandable. It is a huge project for each wax! I will probably regret it soon :D

What you CAN do (and everyone else who wants to play along) is help choose the waxes, wicks, containers, etc. and help interpret and organize the results. I cannot find any place that has done this type of start to finish testing. Personally I would have studied results from tests like this endlessly as I started the chandling journey.

if nobody objects, I would like to start with a wax I use, C3. I have it and a bunch of wick series to get going with. The first stab will be full of experimentation to figure out what is useful, and what is a total waste of time. I'll list the wicks I have once I catalog them, and can purchase sets to try if needed. 

I have Glass Glow too. and Harmony IGI 4630. When we figure out the right process, anything goes IMO. Winter is coming. I love burning candles - especially during the long. cold Chicago winter. I don't mind if two or more waxes are tested simultaneously. More data!

Brainstorming

Wicks:

-ECO

-CD

-LX

-HTP

-Premier

- Hemp?

-

-

Containers:

-Tea lights

-Maxi tea lights

-8 oz square mason?

-8 oz tin (I have tons of these)

-smaller tins?

-3" wide status jar?

Future Waxes:

Soy:

- 444?

-

Paraffin:

-

-

Sounds good. I dont use C3 but will try and assist.

And I am all for 4630. 'Bout top start working with that myself in the near future. I mostly use 6006 right now

So, wouldn't mind adding 6006 to the list.

Gotta add zincs to the list too. Way too popular to leave out

I'd, also add CDNs

Edited by wthomas57

• 2 months later...
11 minutes ago, Jeuca said:

i love this idea!  I am using GB 444 soy wax - pour at 100 degrees and get really smooth tops - but wicking is the biggest challenge.  What type of jars would you use for this experiment?   

The current test plan is for 3" tins and 3" wide status jars

36 minutes ago, Jeuca said:

Thanks, TallTayl - how do we contribute to this test?

Right now, please just follow along when the first test is posted and help figure out the most effective way to test future combos =)

About to post the first of mine now.....

On 9/13/2016 at 3:36 PM, wthomas57 said:

Sounds good. I dont use C3 but will try and assist.

And I am all for 4630. 'Bout top start working with that myself in the near future. I mostly use 6006 right now

So, wouldn't mind adding 6006 to the list.

Gotta add zincs to the list too. Way too popular to leave out

I'd, also add CDNs

How do the CDN's differ from the CD wicks ? Thanks ! :) 

On 12/1/2016 at 11:11 PM, moonshine said:

Love this idea!!!

I am a 415 user and the Clarus 3022 

CDN wicks I agree should be added and yes to the 8 ounce square mason and how about the 12 ounce straight sided jar eventually 

Is Clarus 3022 soy or a para -soy blend ? BTW It looks like we're gonna be in for a cold - cold winter :( My sons home again w/a ear infection :( 

This would be great for beginners and those wishing to change a jar or wick.  I suggested something similar to Vicky, a place to post what wax wick and jar you use but we agreed it would be difficult to search with everyone posting.  Another thought was what fo's work well (in general) for each wax, although that can be subject to noses and everyone has a different sense of smell and it would get out of hand I think unless 1 person did all the testing again.  I shut up now :o I'm in a brainstorming mood today!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Moonstar said:

How do the CDN's differ from the CD wicks ? Thanks ! :) 

Not sure.. thats what Id like to find out. Ha!

A buddy of mine uses them in Clarus so I am assuming he must like something better about them than CDs. I think they are just a variation of them now. 

Someone else can chime in on this if they'd like.

Personally, I know CDs are popular (probably the most popular and favorite other than zincs), but I've just never had great results with them. They seem smokey to me, more than others, they mushroomed pretty much the same as zincs, but they... being coreless... just wont stay centered while burning once there is a MP. I HATE having to re-center wicks between burns and I imagine most customers do as well. Its a pain, and because most customers won't re-center their wicks, let alone, trim them... it just leads to uneven and bad burns. 

That being said, I still test them for each new recipe... along with zincs, and LX. I really LOVE the way LX looks and burns but I cant always get a full MP without too big a flame, plus they are also coreless and have some of the same issues CDs do.

Wish there was a perfect wick... grrr! Ha

4 hours ago, Moonstar said:

Is Clarus 3022 soy or a para -soy blend ? BTW It looks like we're gonna be in for a cold - cold winter :( My sons home again w/a ear infection :( 

It's a parasoy- lovely wax easy to work with and very good throw 

I was hoping the farmers almanac was going to be right about a mild winter around here - I love the snow.....up north but we need to be able to keep working around here all winter! 

Your poor son- if your at all interested I go to a chiropractor that specializes in children with ADD And autism and since I have been seeing him my immune system has done a complete 360....he is amazing and you know we don't far from each other at all we should meet up for lunch one day ?

3 minutes ago, wthomas57 said:

Not sure.. thats what Id like to find out. Ha!

A buddy of mine uses them in Clarus so I am assuming he must like something better about them than CDs. I think they are just a variation of them now. 

Someone else can chime in on this if they'd like.

Personally, I know CDs are popular (probably the most popular and favorite other than zincs), but I've just never had great results with them. They seem smokey to me, more than others, they mushroomed pretty much the same as zincs, but they... being coreless... just wont stay centered while burning once there is a MP. I HATE having to re-center wicks between burns and I imagine most customers do as well. Its a pain, and because most customers won't re-center their wicks, let alone, trim them... it just leads to uneven and bad burns. 

That being said, I still test them for each new recipe... along with zincs, and LX. I really LOVE the way LX looks and burns but I cant always get a full MP without too big a flame, plus they are also coreless and have some of the same issues CDs do.

Wish there was a perfect wick... grrr! Ha

Like you, Im finding the CD's smoke + mushroom but they do seem to be a preferred wick to many. It must be something Im doing wrong ? Im also getting a lot of 

hangup on my bigger jars - Im afraid if I go up 1 size then the flame will be too big thus more mushrooming . I might even try the Premiers to see if I get better results.

SO frustrating - Its a miracle Im not bald lol !