Presto pot users... I’ve got questions!

I’ve recently been testing wicks as much as I possible can (when I have the time.)

I’ve noticed that my flames flicker almost 100% of the time. I figured it was the wick, so I’d move onto another wick to test. 

I did more research and came upon something I had read years ago. I really never saw this as a problem for myself and always blamed the wick/wax/FO. 

“Any water in the wax will cause the flame to flicker uncontrollably.”

I wasn’t getting water in my wax, and I was always so SO very careful to make sure of that.  I was melting some wax the other day and noticed how much my pot steams from the hot plate and exactly where that steam was going. Straight up and onto the handle of my stirrer, onto my pouring pitcher rim and thermometer handle, and dripping right down into my melted wax. (Common sense should’ve told me this, but it was the last thing on my mind.)

So I've recently learned about presto pots. 

They look and sound like the answer to many of my issues. (Not to mention they’re $25.)

Here are my questions about

the presto pots :

••Do you own the presto pot or the presto pot with a spigot?

••if you do have the spigot, is it a necessity?

••Did you purchase the pot and build the spigot in yourself or buy the presto pot with the spigot already on it?

••If you don’t own a presto pot, what do you use that effectively works wonders while making your candles?

thanks everyone for all of your input. 

Always Greatly appreciated!

Edited by Venetti
  • Like 1

My current set up is simple. I use an induction hot plate with a 2-3” deep copper pan. I fill the pan with water and set my pouring pitcher in the water.  

I was also recently given a copperchef skillet. Here is what both set ups would look like. 

It seems the copperchef would still steam and get water into my pitcher. 

Im sure I’m better off just buying the presto. Just wanted input first

E7F0CDBF-BEDA-4B0F-A4BF-AAABD3583D1A.jpeg

4971B6F4-209F-4EE9-9C79-1CFE9EE39D07.jpeg

CDF96883-D94D-4F0A-BAC3-E8076D17C5F8.jpeg

****dont mind the hot mess :)

Edited by Venetti
  • Like 1

I have 3 presto pots, bought with spigots.  Love them, you can fill it full of wax and just pour out what you need into pitcher.  One thing I never put the lid on my presto pot until after my wax has cooled and completely hardened.  My thoughts were steam build-up.  Never had problem with moisture in my prestos.

• Thanks 1

I have several prestos and still use them for palm wax but I graduated to a turkey fryer for my soy wax.  I never use lids on them while heating or until wax cools and hardens and have had no issues with moisture getting in the wax.  I have prestos with and without a spigot and they both work the same, just easier with the spigot, my turkey fryer has a spigot on the front as well. 

• Like 3

😁happy to help!

so, I went and got one at Walmart tonight. (Couldn’t wait I guess ☺️)

now that ive got it all set up I have another question!

Do you fill it with water and put your pour pitcher in it or directly drop your wax on the inside of the pot?

Thank you all again and again!

Put your wax directly in, if you're handy look online there are detailed instructions on how to add the spigot, you'll be glad you did but be warned that the spigot will leak after time and you'll need to reseal so I keep mine on an old cookie sheet at all times.  Actually I even keep the ones I have to ladle wax out of on a cookie sheet.  I bought my 2nd one with a spigot and my husband took 1 look and said don't buy another I'll make them for you.  He has also resealed the one I bought for me.  Sometimes you'll see them in the classifieds here.

I've had both. The one with the spigot lasted a fair amount of time, but I didn't use it as it was intended. We don't make container candles. What I use now is without spigot and I melt all my wax in it with additives. Since we're pillar based and do not make solid color pillars, I assemble molds, pull wax with a plastic cup, add color and then add to molds. I now prefer no spigot because it did three things for me: 

1) burnt me when I accidentally brushed against it;

2) turned itself on when I brushed against the valve that also got excessively warm; 

3) lost all its sealant from the heat which wasn't a big deal till it was. 

But overall all the prestos I've had have lived a fairly normal life. Only one didn't and it wasn't spigot attached. It just kind of flaked out on me from the first on. 

I'd love to try the turkey fryer, but I don't have the room. 

Edited by Scented
  • Thanks 1

I've had my presto pots with spigots for many years with no leaking but they were bought that way I think from same place.  Like kandlekrazy I also have a turkey fryer with spigot.  Keep container wax in turkey fryer, pillar wax in presto, melts wax in presto, and keep one empty to use if I have a large order for one scent then use empty for that.  Wouldn't want to be without them.

I've been using a modified presto pot for the past year. It has a spigot. The spigot combined with being able to have a large batch of melted wax on standby (it's so much faster than standing over a double boiler for every single batch) was the deciding factor for me. Without the spigot, I probably would not have purchased one. Transfering wax from a mass melting pot via ladle seemed as though it would take too much time and allow the wax to cool below my desired pouring temp... and that's before adding FO and dye. In short, it was definitely a necessity.

Bought it with the spigot already attached. I didn't want to take the chance of ruining a/several ~$40 pot.

Speaking of DIY, here's a guide for adding a spigot to a presto pot: link

Edit: Forgot to add, be very, very careful with setting the temperature dial. It's very easy to set it too high and scorch the wax (or worse). I like to set mine between the a and r in "warm" and that keeps it around 185-190F. Yours may be different by a few degrees or more so test carefully on first use, turning the dial up a hair until that point.

Edited by Kerven
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The instructions on the link Kervin supplied was what we used to make ours. We had to do some research to figure out what size tap bit to get. 

Cheaper to make your own and now that we have the bit it will be even cheaper to make new ones.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/16/2018 at 5:59 PM, Venetti said:

I’ve recently been testing wicks as much as I possible can (when I have the time.)

I’ve noticed that my flames flicker almost 100% of the time. I figured it was the wick, so I’d move onto another wick to test. 

I did more research and came upon something I had read years ago. I really never saw this as a problem for myself and always blamed the wick/wax/FO. 

I wasn’t getting water in my wax, and I was always so SO very careful to make sure of that.  I was melting some wax the other day and noticed how much my pot steams from the hot plate and exactly where that steam was going. Straight up and onto the handle of my stirrer, onto my pouring pitcher rim and thermometer handle, and dripping right down into my melted wax. (Common sense should’ve told me this, but it was the last thing on my mind.)

They look and sound like the answer to many of my issues. (Not to mention they’re $25.)

the presto pots :

••Did you purchase the pot and build the spigot in yourself or buy the presto pot with the spigot already on it?

••If you don’t own a presto pot, what do you use that effectively works wonders while making your candles?

I do own a Presto Pot.

I do have a spigot and I do find it to be a necessity.

I purchased the pot online with the spigot already installed.

On ‎2‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 5:59 PM, Venetti said:

the presto pots :

I love my Presto Pots, none have the spigot. I have a scale next to each one and just ladle into my pour pot right on the scale.

So after a few weeks using my presto, I am in absolute love with it. Actually I’m not sure how I ever made my candles without it. When I was making them before, I used a hot plate and pan. I had concluded that the steam was causing my flames to flicker wayyy too much. I also was only able to make about one an hour (🙄 gasp, I know.)

currently i I am heating my wax in the presto to about 190•, pouring in my pitcher and adding fo quickly when it reaches my temp. I am still trying to figure out how to get rid of the odd smell it’s giving my wax though. Maybe it’s too hot? I’m not entirely sure. I am going to build a spigot on and try it that way. With my current setup, I’m making at least 5 an hour (each with different scents.)

My only issue it that making different scents is tricky as I don’t scent it in the presto. I’ll have to figure that one out. I’m not able to use multiple prestos due to it using a ton of electricity. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Venetti said:

So after a few weeks using my presto, I am in absolute love with it. Actually I’m not sure how I ever made my candles without it. When I was making them before, I used a hot plate and pan. I had concluded that the steam was causing my flames to flicker wayyy too much. I also was only able to make about one an hour (🙄 gasp, I know.)

currently i I am heating my wax in the presto to about 190•, pouring in my pitcher and adding fo quickly when it reaches my temp. I am still trying to figure out how to get rid of the odd smell it’s giving my wax though. Maybe it’s too hot? I’m not entirely sure. I am going to build a spigot on and try it that way. With my current setup, I’m making at least 5 an hour (each with different scents.)

My only issue it that making different scents is tricky as I don’t scent it in the presto. I’ll have to figure that one out. I’m not able to use multiple prestos due to it using a ton of electricity. 

I'm no expert, but the method I just used for multiple scents worked pretty well.  I have two pour pots on the hot plate/griddle, and the batch of unscented wax in the Presto Pot (PP).  I use one pour pot and fill it with wax from the PP.  I have the scent in the second pour pot.  I put the pour pot with scent on the scale and pour in wax from the first pour pot, mix, and fill tins/jars/etc.  I pour any excess wax from the first pour pot back into the PP.  Wipe out the pour pot that had the scent and repeat.  I made 10 candles with different scents in probably 30-40 minutes.  I'd love to hear of an easier way if one exists.   

• Like 1

On 3/7/2018 at 4:34 PM, Jcandleattic said:

I have a video on YouTube of how I do multiple scents. It's marked as private, so as soon as I'm home, I will post a link so you can see it. (they have it locked down here at work, and YouTube is blocked) 

I would love to see that also.  I'm not up to that level of proficiency yet, but it never hurts to plan ahead. 😀

Let me see if I can upload it, or if I have to put it on youtube. 

Here you go. I don't really show or go into detail about how I make multiple scents in a quick fashion, so I'm not sure if it will even help you. Also, you don't see me weigh anything. I weighed the wax before I melted it, but also I weigh the candle once it's finished and when I label I hand write the weight in on a small section of the corner of the label. I do this because I always have extra wax to varying degrees, depending on the density of the fragrance. I always use 1 lbs of wax and 1 ounce of FO. Sometimes ALL of my melted wax fits in the jar, sometimes it doesn't, which is why I weigh it after the fact. 

This is a very boring video, it's very dry - which is why I have it locked on YT. This is how I do my 1 at a time candles. I did this specifically for the video, And don't share it often. This was only my second video I had ever made, so the lighting, sound, everything is off. LOL Not sure you'll be able to tell, but I was extremely nervous doing this video. LOL And it was made 4 years ago. 

If you have questions afterward let me know. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Jcandleattic said:

Let me see if I can upload it, or if I have to put it on youtube. 

Here you go. I don't really show or go into detail about how I make multiple scents in a quick fashion, so I'm not sure if it will even help you. Also, you don't see me weigh anything. I weighed the wax before I melted it, but also I weigh the candle once it's finished and when I label I hand write the weight in on a small section of the corner of the label. I do this because I always have extra wax to varying degrees, depending on the density of the fragrance. I always use 1 lbs of wax and 1 ounce of FO. Sometimes ALL of my melted wax fits in the jar, sometimes it doesn't, which is why I weigh it after the fact. 

This is a very boring video, it's very dry - which is why I have it locked on YT. This is how I do my 1 at a time candles. I did this specifically for the video, And don't share it often. This was only my second video I had ever made, so the lighting, sound, everything is off. LOL Not sure you'll be able to tell, but I was extremely nervous doing this video. LOL And it was made 4 years ago. 

If you have questions afterward let me know. 

It was a nice video. I’ve never weighted wax out then melted it😊. I read a post earlier saying how a couple of you poured the wax from the pot...the visual here helped since I pictured it different. I’m going to try this method. 

On 3/6/2018 at 11:12 AM, Lighten Up said:

I love my Presto Pots, none have the spigot. I have a scale next to each one and just ladle into my pour pot right on the scale.

I have one Presto Pot.  I put my wax in it along with the appropriate amt of stearic acid then I scoop out the amt I want for any project into my pour pots and work from there with adding FOs for the particular pours.  I don't sell but only make candles for personal use for myself and friends.  Having the basic wax formula ready to go in the Presto Pot is nice.........depending on what I want to do, I make any need adjustments in the pour pots........that said....the wax in my Presto Pot is ready and waiting for whatever I want to try.